Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
TundraBuck

Default Battle Lake

Has anyone fished this lake recently? Haven't heard much of it but was thinking of heading out there sometime soon.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
TundraBuck

btt
Old 03-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Interesting how you havn't had any replies to your question. I wonder if some of the guys who don't know how to handle fish have fished Battle. Seems like you catch more flies with sugar. But I am sure it is just coincidence.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
TundraBuck

I don't care about replies I'm going with or without them. Just because one person doesn't catch fish doesn't mean others wont. Deano if you had followed that thread you would see the way lethalconnection posted on how to handle a fish. That's how I do it too. I'm not arguing with you, I've given up, nobody cares about our fisheries.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Havn't been there in years but back when it was legal spring pike on a bobber + smelt was a blast at the river mouth exiting the lake.They as supposed to have nice whitefish? Not sure about that one though?Harold
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM

I have never ice fished Battle so I can't help you out. I have always wanted to get there but just never have......yet. I have seen some dead whites floating on that lake that were indeed huge and have heard from fellow anglers about the large whites in there. Sounds like they are hard to catch but what a challenge

If you do go out I would appreciate a report back. I am interested in this for next year.

Good luck and good fishing!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi there, I used to fish it quite a bit. If you are after the big whites use a small red and yellow five o diamonds in shallow. There are alot of springs on the lake so stay on the tracks on the ice! I haven't fished it for a couple of years so perhaps my spots may no longer be good. Thwe walleye action used to be good at dusk. Let us know how you made out.

best regards
Goose
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Havn't been there in years but back when it was legal spring pike on a bobber + smelt was a blast at the river mouth exiting the lake.They as supposed to have nice whitefish? Not sure about that one though?Harold
Hey Harold I have heard there is supposed to be some big whitefish in there if you can find them and find what to use, I hear they can be pretty picky. I remember reading an article a year or two back by Fred Noddin I think? About the whitefish ice fishing there. It's fairly close to my place and I figured I haven't heard anyone talk of it so maybe it's fishing well? Thanks for the info other guys!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
TundraBuck

OK I will go out tomorrow, i really want to see if I can't get one of these big whitefish. I'm always up for a new challenge.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Tundra, when you get on the lake head left (south) past the campsite. Head about 200-300 yards down the shore line and about 40 feet from shore. This should put you into some whites. If you want some pike, there is a big weed bed straight out between the campsite and boat launch with a wicked drop off. If you get lucky you may find some incredibly healthy walley.
Good luck.