Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Default eeeek my biggest pike ever!

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."

Last edited by moosehunter3-0; 03-01-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Those are some great lookin pike congrats on your btd that deserves a

Looks like the pike i catch can longer eat the ones you catch haha now your in the big leagues. Congrats

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-23-2008, 03:19 PM
TundraBuck

Yet another spawner kept. We NEED to create some sort of slot. Nice catch though.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM

According to F+W pike spawn at 4 years of age.The only difference is quanity of eggs at that age they're all spawners......................Harold
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM

I see that on this forum it's starting every time someone post a pic of a "LEGALY" caught fish someone has to take a cheap shot?? Good fish and thanks for posting your pics.

Dodger.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
TundraBuck

No cheap shot intended. Conservation wise, we need to be keeping the 25 ish inch range fish for eating and releasing the bigger ones.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 PM

The poor kid has been bashed pretty hard the past couple months from shooting a porcupine to keeping a decent sized fish. Lay off the guy. Nothing wrong with keeping a fish. It's legal isn't it? It may not be the best thing to do but we are not all catch and release fisherman and nothin wrong with killin a legal fish to fry up.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
No cheap shot intended. Conservation wise, we need to be keeping the 25 ish inch range fish for eating and releasing the bigger ones.
Couldnt agree more. but its tough to give someone sh*t for keeping a fish they are legaly allowed to keep, till our goverment wakes up and creates some kind of a slot limit even if they let you keep the real big ones still. maybe you throw back the 10 to 16 lbers which are the majority of the big fish being caught and kept. just my 2 cents, but none the less Nice Catch.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
Couldnt agree more. but its tough to give someone sh*t for keeping a fish they are legaly allowed to keep, till our goverment wakes up and creates some kind of a slot limit even if they let you keep the real big ones still. maybe you throw back the 10 to 16 lbers which are the majority of the big fish being caught and kept. just my 2 cents, but none the less Nice Catch.
Well said gord oats,if its legal whats the problem.That would be up to F&W to change regulations not a couple of individuals on here that dont agree
Old 03-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Great Fish Moosehunter And Cousin, Those Must Of Been Fun To Haul Thru The Ice , Always Great Seeing Your Photos, Dont Worry About These All Knowing Fish Guys Nothing Wrong With Keeping The Odd Fish To Cook And Eat , As Far As I Care Pike Tastes Better Then Any Turkey. Keep Up The Great Fishing We All Enjoy Your Photos.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Default well done

good job on your Largest Fish ever.
For those of you who feel that keeping it is wrong instead of telling some young outdoorsman its wrong to keep the largest fish he has ever caught I suggest you tell the fish and wildlife Biologist's.
For all the abuse this kid has taken from some of you all I can say is he has a tuff skin to keep coming back and sharing his success's with us. He is a true outdoorsman and welcome in my camp anytime.
For some who think we should be keeping the 25 inchers in a lot of lakes 63cm(24 5/8 " approx) is the size limit and nothing less than that is legal so anything bigger is a well deserved keeper. Yes a lot release them and that is good. But for those who keep and eat the bigger ones thats fine too. You don't have to like that fact. But trying to force your morals on someone else is a bigger sin than keeping the fish. imho
Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Yes I'm sure when they're hunting they also leave the 160 class and larger bucks for seed taking just the forkhorns and spikes...............Harold
Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up Nice Fish Moosehunter 3-0

Nice Fish Moosehunter 3-0,

Great pics thanks for sharing,

Drano

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Oh Tundrabuck you're just hilarious, you should apply to be on the comedy network im rolling on the floor laughing.

Not.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Unhappy Wow!

That is one big " Ukranian Mermaid" Buddy! ( It's Ok, my Wife is a Ukranian ). Don't let these guys give you hard of a time. I tend to put the bigger ones back ( less work cleaning and they do hold the gene's to make more Big fish )BUT IF IT'S your biggest fish ever, why not? In fact with all that Pike meat to eat it will be awhile till you have Harvest another! Again great job! Keep those Pics coming!
Ps: I am very jealous that you get to spend so much time outdoors having fun!!!
your a lucky guy!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Congrats on your pike!

How do you guys usually cook your pike?
I like mine totally deboned, floured, egged, then breaded and baked.
Fillets off of a 10-15 lb'er are best for this
Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Yes I'm sure when they're hunting they also leave the 160 class and larger bucks for seed taking just the forkhorns and spikes...............Harold
This is irrelevant. You can't compare deer conservation to fisheries conservation.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 PM

I reckon someones a little jelious cus the kid caught a bigger fish then you ever have .
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I reckon someones a little jelious cus the kid caught a bigger fish then you ever have .
No, not at all. I have caught much larger pike than that, and many years ago caught a 47 inch pike up at Reindeer Lake.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM

uh right on got any pictures hahaha im just kidding , I see alot of b.s. on these forums , but its all good .
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 PM

How praytell is a fish gene pool different from a mammals? Biggest ,strongest most fit sounds a lot like natural selection to me .Would not all fish in a med-small lake share the same genes?No different than all the deer if confined in a same sized area most certainly would be.Pike have been recorded to have swam over 30 miles to spawn.Large lakes would be more diversified....................Slave Lake or the Great Lakes for instance........Harold *I don't mind polite debate .I may learn something I didn't know
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
How praytell is a fish gene pool different from a mammals? Biggest ,strongest most fit sounds a lot like natural selection to me .Would not all fish in a med-small lake share the same genes?No different than all the deer if confined in a same sized area most certainly would be.Pike have been recorded to have swam over 30 miles to spawn.Large lakes would be more diversified....................Slave Lake or the Great Lakes for instance........Harold *I don't mind polite debate .I may learn something I didn't know
And I think thats what this is about. I think with many peoples different inputs we should be able to come up with some sort of plan to present to SRD.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
uh right on got any pictures hahaha im just kidding , I see alot of b.s. on these forums , but its all good .
John I do have pictures in my photo album, this was from 1982 though. I will try and use the scanner at work when I go back (May) and put a bunch of my photos up. I need to buy a digital camera badly.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Great fish and I bet it was a heck of a fight. Good on you for getting outside and sharing your stories with us.

Danni
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM

heak 1982 that was a good year that was the year I was born lmao
Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
heak 1982 that was a good year that was the year I was born lmao
LOL, yer just a young fella then! I thought by your pics you were a middle aged guy, not a 25/26 year old lol.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 PM

Yes sir ill be 26 come October .
Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Yes sir ill be 26 come October .
Right on. I'd say my late twenties to mid thirties were the best times of my life, lots of good times camping hunting and fishing. I remember one year I got my sheep, moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and more grouse and ptarmigan than you can shake a stick at. SO much meat I was able to share with my friends and family.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Great fish Moosehunter remember in with the good out with the bad you are a highlight in this forum keep posting cause you are the future!!!

Awsome keep up the good work !!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Default awsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
Went out this morning with my dad and my cousin and I caught a 38" jack on an anchovie!

^lol
We had a really good morning, I caught a 38" and a 29" and my cousin caught two 29" pike and a whitefish.
awsome fish bud, boy your having a great year so far, keep the pics coming and just like the porcupine stuff dont let it bother ya, its your trophy of a lifetime so far and i couldnt be happier for ya, if only we could get all the kids your age out and do what you do,,dandy catch once again moose.