Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Default New to the area--looking for tips

I'm an avid fisherman and hunter and will be moving to the Edmonton area in mid to late May. I live a couple hours north of Detroit, Michigan right now. I'm curious where to find information on Edmonton's local lakes.

I enjoy fishing for walleye, perch, pike, crappie, small mouth, and my favorite, largemouth.

Are there any good sporting good stores in the area that can help me get up to speed regarding what I'll need in terms of liscenses and local tips for techniques and lures?

I have the same questions for hunting. Where I live, we are only allowed to use muzzle loaders and shotguns, and we only have white tails.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Default welcome

You won't find any bass in Alberta that I am aware of. At least not around Edmonton here. In addition to Pike, walleye, perch we also have lots of trout like Brown, rainbow etc. We have some good fishing stores here that can get you started. IE: the fishing center, the fishing hole. When you get here pick a copy of Aberta fishing guide. It lists all the lakes and what is in those lakes.
Hunting here we have mule deer, whitetail, moose elk to name a few. in a lot of zones its draw for moose,mule antelope etc. Best to read the hunting regulations and get a feel for it and it will point you to what is open under a general license. A link on the home page of this site will take you there.
Hope this answers some of your questions and points you in the right direction.http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/ added the link to the hunting regs from last year.

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-24-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Couple of hours north of Detroit? So you are in Ontario? Hey we ain't dumb. Must be a liberal.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM

honda450,
So you got something against those of us from Ontario? I'm assuming I'm a Liberal as well.. Lets not start off on the wrong foot and give him a warm welcome to Alberta

Welcome to the board jsmit299 you'll find lots of lakes as well as rivers to do all the angling you want. As for hunting I'm confident you'll have lots of help with members on the board
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah could of left that liberal bit out but what the heck. No offence intended.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Good move for sure if your an outdoorsmen. Awesome hunting and fishing, especially if you like the thought of an area the size of afew states, that spans from prairie to mountains. Almost all the animals and fish species you can imagine. Our draw system is second to none, get applying for everything you see in the draw book. If your eyes are bigger than your apetite, dont worry, we are all in the same boat as well. There isnt enough time in the year...... Welcome to heaven!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Honda 450

That boy ain't from Ontario. I was raised in Sault Ste Marie which is 4 hours north of Detroit and right on the border. He is from somewhere in the lower penninsula, south of St Ignass and the Straights of Mackinaw would be my guess. In my 20 odd years in Ontario I never heard anyone use the term "Crappie". We just have to turn him into a conservative!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM

Might want to look at a map one of these days. Windsor is south of Detroit. Ontario is more to the east.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 PM

Raised in Lousianna and Texas but been in Michigan for the last 8 years. They call crappie specks here. Never could change what I call them.

I'm actually from Ortonville, Michigan
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 PM

theres some good walleye fishing down in your area.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Lake St Clair isn't good anymore. The zebra mussels cleared the water up. Now it's a phenomenal small mouth lake but the Walleyes are way down. No matter, Lake Erie is still amazing. They call it the lake Erie Phenomenon. Looking forward to learning some new lakes. I have to admint, nobody eats pike where I'm from. I keep seeing people talk about how to cook them on this website and seems a bit odd to me.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

If you plan on bringing your firearms with you, check out the Canada Firearms Centre for importing, licencing, what's legal, etc.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp