Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 PM

Post Easiest trade out there

I'm looking to get into a trade but I'm trying to figure out which one requires less math as is more easier in school.

27 years old haven't been to school in 10 years.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 PM
Banned

Wrong forum if your asking for the easiest way to where you want to be.

People are clawing and scraping by and youre asking the easy way to get by?

Read the room...
Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 PM

Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 PM

Whiskey taster.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:59 PM

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad...profiles/0424/
Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyindabenny View Post
x2

I couldn't imagine picking a job/career at 27 based off whats 'easiest' and not what I wanted to do.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk93 View Post
I'm looking to get into a trade but I'm trying to figure out which one requires less math as is more easier in school.

When I apprenticed, most of the trades did fairly rudimentary math. You weren’t doing trigonometry. You need to multiply the the amps by the resistance to find out the voltage for example. So 4 amps x 3 ohms = 12 volts.

If it’s math you are truly worried about I really wouldn’t sweat it, or base a career off of which trade uses less math.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I think regardless of the trade you choose , you are going to be dealing with math.
When I went to school for my first year welding ,the math was what I feared the most. I struggled with it all through school.
The instructors were very good and they work with you if they know you are putting in the effort.
I worked my tail off in Nait out of fear of failure and ended up in the top end of my class each year. I was 35 when I was taking my first yr at Nait

Pick a trade you really are interested in and work your butt off, take pride in your work and it will work out in the end.

Go into it with the Idea that your gonna fake your way through and it will be a short miserable career.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:40 PM

Id say go with engineering since most of them don't seem to have a clue what they are doing anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-22-2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Id say go with engineering since most of them don't seem to have a clue what they are doing anyways.
I heard lots of good things about power engineering....
Old 02-23-2021, 12:17 AM

Chef = fraction x batch going to be your toughest math problem

B.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:

Or low post count. wants to sell something????
Old 02-23-2021, 04:07 AM

Well young fellow it’s like this nothing worth doing comes easy...

I did an electrical trade just out of high school. Was also nervous about the math, and there really was lots. However it’s different than high school, there is something on the line, and there is a reason for the things you are doing.

Then I completed power engineering while working a full time job (like 60 hours a week full time) after being out of school for 20 years. I’m pretty sure you can apply yourself and do whatever you want...
Old 02-23-2021, 04:09 AM

Have you considered pimping
Old 02-23-2021, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Have you considered pimping
That takes math, count the money, 85 - 15 split, so what's 85% of $425 and then who gets the 85%

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Wouldn’t sweat it, if your doing/ learning something to benefit yourself and enjoy what your doing the math will come easier because you really want to learn it.

Not like high school let’s be honest there was a lot of math that a person will never use. I know myself I hated high school couldn’t stay on task, it just didn’t grab my attention. However when I went to do my apprenticeship I was getting 80s & 90s it just made so much difference that I was interested in learning it and trade school teachers are better at helping you understand.

If the trade your going into is something you truly want to do then don’t let the math hold you back it’s a much different atmosphere than learning in high school
Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Wouldn’t sweat it, if your doing/ learning something to benefit yourself and enjoy what your doing the math will come easier because you really want to learn it.

Not like high school let’s be honest there was a lot of math that a person will never use. I know myself I hated high school couldn’t stay on task, it just didn’t grab my attention. However when I went to do my apprenticeship I was getting 80s & 90s it just made so much difference that I was interested in learning it and trade school teachers are better at helping you understand.

If the trade your going into is something you truly want to do then don’t let the math hold you back it’s a much different atmosphere than learning in high school
I had the same experience. Hated grade school and sucked at it. When I did my apprenticeship at forty I excelled. It's just different when you want to learn. I thoroughly enjoyed my apprenticeship, every moment. So much so that I got to tutor others with math. I guess being very thankful to get the opportunity I got helped a lot as well.

I would guess that electrician would be the toughest for math and carpenter or roofer would be the easiest. But I wouldn't sweat the math, as 204 said, the teachers are good, classes are smaller. Pick a trade you would like, and just enjoy yourself.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 AM

Job sight clean up and junk removal. It isn't glamorous but pays good or used to. Very little math needed. Pick a trade you'd enjoy, not easyest one, you might hate it. My self I learned framing from my dad as a kid, did it for years. Then started my own thing, framing checks, frost walls, decks, fences, but all need math, like working out spindle spacing on decks, thank God for calculators
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 AM

Welder...
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
When I apprenticed, most of the trades did fairly rudimentary math. You weren’t doing trigonometry. You need to multiply the the amps by the resistance to find out the voltage for example. So 4 amps x 3 ohms = 12 volts.

If it’s math you are truly worried about I really wouldn’t sweat it, or base a career off of which trade uses less math.
Three phase electrical has LOTS of trig, and math but anyway.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 AM

Sounds like you should get into politics , you've got all the qualifications .
Old 02-23-2021, 07:29 AM

Hair dresser
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 AM

its called "infantry"......go join the armed forces
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Three phase electrical has LOTS of trig, and math but anyway.
Is three phase electrical done in most trades as I stated? What percentage of trades deal with that? I know each trade uses different levels of math but my point was that most trades use much less than a guy thinks. Most times even less after finishing school. I’d bet that many electricians go their whole career without calculating three phase power too. (After leaving school)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Scaffolder....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2021, 07:44 AM

dont sweat the math thing. Its not your issue, There is no such beast as an easy ride unless you are fortunate enough to be a trust fund child. So the best advise I can offer is find something you enjoy to do if its forking out horse stalls or polishing cars. Then become the best at it and everyday after you will never work because it will be easy and fun not all the time but most. I left school 3 mos before 15th birthday (by the way math really sucked got expelled over it) was told inspiration to return would be found in perspiration of hard labour, worked for everybody that would give me a days work (farm community) my folks made me do it for free till I could get a appprentice ship took 2 yrs. Was THE BEST 2 YEARS of my life I now hold multiple trade tickets all of them red seal I've worked all over Canada and part of the US. I now have slowed down and only run a small shop as part of my retirement to a 44 hr work week. And somedays I hate it and most I woulnt trade for anything,persue your dream and make it happen but you will have to work at it.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk800 View Post
its called "infantry"......go join the armed forces
No OT....crappy pay.....deployments to poop holes.....long days,night strung together for weeks......cold, wet, tired, miserable.....enjoy the Suck!

Then when you hit civi street you will look at the people around you and chuckle what they say are hard times

Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 AM
Banned

Fresh air Inspector. Maybe with Walkaround Seymour Consulting. They're always looking for good hands.

Free
Old 02-23-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Fresh air Inspector. Maybe with Walkaround Seymour Consulting. They're always looking for good hands.

Free
Was out in the ice the other day...social distancing and all that but a fella asked what I did for a living...I said I am a consultant....he immediately replied in what....I said ask me a question!

Old 02-23-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Is three phase electrical done in most trades as I stated? What percentage of trades deal with that? I know each trade uses different levels of math but my point was that most trades use much less than a guy thinks. Most times even less after finishing school. I’d bet that many electricians go their whole career without calculating three phase power too. (After leaving school)
The issue will be getting through school, if you are weak in math. Being a red seal electrician, I went through it, and several people did fail, because they couldn't do the calculations in the tests. Once out in the workforce, you actually do very little math, engineers do the complicated calculations for you. I am also a red seal millwright, and there was far less math required in school.

Quote:
Sounds like you should get into politics , you've got all the qualifications .
Can't argue with that, the most reward for the least effort is a politicians dream.

Tags
trade