Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Scaffolder....
Easy trade?? In what way?
Cat
Old 02-23-2021, 08:03 AM

General Contractor. Hire the work out. Dont need math havnt seen one come in on budget ever.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk93 View Post
I'm looking to get into a trade but I'm trying to figure out which one requires less math as is more easier in school.

27 years old haven't been to school in 10 years.
Being an employer I would suggest something in the food and beverage industry... something like Tim hortons or McDonald’s might be best
Old 02-23-2021, 08:08 AM

My son is a B pressure welder and is tired of being laid off so he is taking piwer engineering as a back up. Let me tell you there is math in that course that i have never seen. Because its all online now trying to get help is very tricky.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Easiest trade

If you can count to 5 using your fingers, then welding is the trade for you!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Wouldn’t sweat it, if your doing/ learning something to benefit yourself and enjoy what your doing the math will come easier because you really want to learn it.

Not like high school let’s be honest there was a lot of math that a person will never use. I know myself I hated high school couldn’t stay on task, it just didn’t grab my attention. However when I went to do my apprenticeship I was getting 80s & 90s it just made so much difference that I was interested in learning it and trade school teachers are better at helping you understand.

If the trade your going into is something you truly want to do then don’t let the math hold you back it’s a much different atmosphere than learning in high school
This^^^^
My son did so so in high school because he just didn’t see the need for knowing the math to figure out the earth’s gravitational pull on the moon 😂
Took a couple years off to figure out what he wanted to do, now in business at Lethbridge College and loving it and getting great marks
Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
When I apprenticed, most of the trades did fairly rudimentary math. You weren’t doing trigonometry. You need to multiply the the amps by the resistance to find out the voltage for example. So 4 amps x 3 ohms = 12 volts.

If it’s math you are truly worried about I really wouldn’t sweat it, or base a career off of which trade uses less math.

Well since the example used is based on electrical let my clarify....if it is trig you are worried about stay far away from electrical. 1st year is 4x3=12....after that I did more trig in second year alone than I did in all of high school. However there is a huge difference in doing trig (or anything you aren't fond of) in high school where you are wondering the future relevance to real life and doing it when you have an end goal...in my case it was the electrical trade.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 AM

I started life as a HD mechanic, I don’t remember the math been that hard throughout the apprenticeship. Then almost none after that, but it’s not an easy trade. I don’t think you mean easy as in not working hard, I think it’s the math that has you worried. Get a tutor for the math, you’ll be ok.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Easy trade?? In what way?
Cat
Well ya get in....strong back....learn as you go....apply yourself and the math etc isn't too demanding mentally but ya gotta know your stuff too.....some trades just require more math etc but like anything if you apply yourself and buckle down you can achieve pretty much anything.

https://www.clac.ca/Your-voice/Artic...94-Scaffolding

I knew many pipe fitters that threw this trade in thier back pocket too just to get into a leadership roll as a lead/foreman/coordinator.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2021, 08:46 AM

Can't math? Want a simple job?
Politician
Manage a non-profit NGO
Government Biologist
Financial Adviser
CFO/Accountant for publicly traded American corporation
Retail cashier
Project Manager
That's enough of that.

As others have stated, work/career math is different than school math. While school was instilling a basis of common understanding, work math is applying that knowledge in a meaningful way. Even for those who struggled with school math, it now has real value.
Evaluate your strengths, acknowledge your weaknesses and work on improving them. Don't choose a career because it looks easy from the outside.
You can do this.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2021, 08:48 AM

Don't worry to much about the math. We had a guy go in his 50's and he was worried about the math aspect if it but he pulled through. This is not your high school Pure Math or trig, generally the math will mean something and it is not some arbitrary random number.

From what I remember the math for the millwright trade was very low end stuff to start and gradually ramped up to converting pressures, temperatures, and some alignment formulas. Pick what you want and if you want it bad enough you will put in the effort.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well ya get in....strong back....learn as you go....apply yourself and the math etc isn't too demanding mentally but ya gotta know your stuff too.....some trades just require more math etc but like anything if you apply yourself and buckle down you can achieve pretty much anything.

https://www.clac.ca/Your-voice/Artic...94-Scaffolding

I knew many pipe fitters that threw this trade in thier back pocket too just to get into a leadership roll as a lead/foreman/coordinator.
That is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.
Scaffolding is not a recognized trade, and it should be .
I have met some people who decided to get into scaffolding so they could advance to become foermen/ GF's , etc.
Generally they were some of the worst scaffolders I ever met .
Heights, confined spaces , working under 100% breathing air in -30c, in situations where fires are happening , outside in every conceivable condition and generally getting old before your time is not everyone's cup of tea .
Cat
Old 02-23-2021, 08:49 AM

Male entertainer. All you have to do is count your money.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:55 AM

I was no math wizard in high school but after My machining apprenticeship I was up to speed!! The CNC Tech course was a breeze after!!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:57 AM

In general, the compulsory or hard trades have more difficult math requirements than optional certification trades. Check the optional certification ones at tradesecrets.alberta.ca
Old 02-23-2021, 08:59 AM

If your just starting , give a few trade a shot and see if you like it and make a career out of it . Why not you got time on your side . Math not a big issue as now mostly answer can be found on google
Old 02-23-2021, 09:06 AM

Painter......Yes its a red seal trade....
Old 02-23-2021, 09:10 AM

No such thing as easy trades anymore. Even a mechanic has to be a computer genius. Trades are not an easy out, something that has escaped the university oriented class.

Grizz
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM

Your best bet is to be the Prime Minister. You don't need any intelligence. No math - just keep spending - when you run out of money just grab more.

Once your time is up all you have to do is learn to say "would you like fries with that?"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM
AO Sponsor

I think you all might be being a little tough on the OP. Because someone is maybe intimidated by school and math does not mean they are looking for an easy way out like you are describing. He just may be looking for something where he can simply get to hands on working where he is comfortable in the simplest fashion possible. There are a lot of people out there who found school extremely difficult but are exceptional workers and spent their formative years being told they would amount to nothing because of their difficulties in school and it can be quite a hard thing to overcome that fear, and it was only finding a job with their hands that turned them around.

Anyhow, I might suggest you look into autobody/painting etc. It is a career always in demand and while not the highest paying of the trades, a good body guy can make a great living and pretty much any math you need to do is basic and can be done on a calculator.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-23-2021, 09:39 AM

I work in construction and have interviewed about 25 ish people over the years for an apprentice job. I always ask the same question in an interview. What’s 5/8 plus 5/8. Thinking back only one guy had the right answer. He had to think about a bit. All the others either say an inch and a half or plain just say I don’t know.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I heard lots of good things about power engineering....
I guarantee you will find yourself doing far more math in power engineering than any trade, only to never use it on the job.

I ran the maintenance department at a large plant. We offered 1-2 apprenticeships a year and only took from existing employees. There was so much demand we had competitions with several categories such as interview, job history, education, a trade specific test, math ability, other job training. I put the testing materials together. Our plant entry level qualifications called for gr12 academic math, but I had to use gr10 math to get anybody to pass the tests. FWIW, power engineers often tried out for the trades positions and usually did well due to job experience and math ability.

I started out as entry level myself, transferred to our power plant, got my power engineering tickets, got a trade (electrical), became a supervisor and then superintendent.

As others have suggested, if you are looking for the easiest way you are not likely to succeed. There are many bright hard working people willing to bust their butt for chance to learn a trade.

Last edited by brewster29; 02-23-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I work in construction and have interviewed about 25 ish people over the years for an apprentice job. I always ask the same question in an interview. What’s 5/8 plus 5/8. Thinking back only one guy had the right answer. He had to think about a bit. All the others either say an inch and a half or plain just say I don’t know.
I would have told you 10/16ths 😁 but I’m a welder... and a comedian.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
If you can count to 5 using your fingers, then welding is the trade for you!
Counting to five is a good start, but in the Classroom part of the apprenticeship you will need to know or learn, some geometry, how to figure out area ,volume, and other things.
They are not just teaching you how to run a bead, if that was the case anyone could qualify in a week.
They expect you to be able to figure out materials to fabricate tanks ,stairs, or any other project.
You will need to learn some drafting ,how to read a blue prints. metallurgy, rigging etc etc.

But yes, if you can't count to 5 you are going to have a problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The issue will be getting through school, if you are weak in math. Being a red seal electrician, I went through it, and several people did fail, because they couldn't do the calculations in the tests. Once out in the workforce, you actually do very little math, engineers do the complicated calculations for you. I am also a red seal millwright, and there was far less math required in school.
Agreed, but as I stated earlier. Is electrician MOST trades? Also when I went to school, math was a small portion that you could fail as long as your other areas were strong enough to average you out to a pass. Also, there were tutors available to anyone struggling with math when I went as well. Not sure if that still happens as it was the 90's ......and Sask. Regardless as stated before MOST trades don't require a lot of complicated math. I'm not saying there will never be a tradesman anywhere that doesn't do math.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM

If I was going to go back to school it would be for plumbing/gas fitting.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoppa85 View Post
Well since the example used is based on electrical let my clarify....if it is trig you are worried about stay far away from electrical. 1st year is 4x3=12....after that I did more trig in second year alone than I did in all of high school. However there is a huge difference in doing trig (or anything you aren't fond of) in high school where you are wondering the future relevance to real life and doing it when you have an end goal...in my case it was the electrical trade.
What source of voltage uses 12 Volts? Let me more precise what trades deal with 12VDC? There is electrical training in a lot of trades not just as an electrician. No trig in all my electrical training as an HD mechanic. Many other trades will learn simple Ohms law principles and math and never be electricians. My point was and still is MOST trades need little math skill and even less after finishing school.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.
Scaffolding is not a recognized trade, and it should be .
I have met some people who decided to get into scaffolding so they could advance to become foermen/ GF's , etc.
Generally they were some of the worst scaffolders I ever met .
Heights, confined spaces , working under 100% breathing air in -30c, in situations where fires are happening , outside in every conceivable condition and generally getting old before your time is not everyone's cup of tea .
Cat
very true the ones I met that were in the trade for many moons were tuff, arthritic and didn't take any BS....should send one to Ottawa to adjust accordingly

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 AM

Wink comedian welders

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I would have told you 10/16ths 😁 but I’m a welder... and a comedian.
Psst, nudge...20/16ths

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-23-2021, 10:27 AM

Check out a funeral home and become a mortician. Recession proof, and people are dying to get to see you! The pay must be quite good for what they charge for a funeral these days.

BW

Tags
trade