Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 AM

Do you like working with your hands and on vehicles? Look into Autobody. The trade is always looking for journeyman techs. And it pays so much better than when I left it 20 yrs ago.

And from what I hear, they replace most parts now where as I used to repair a lot(inc rust which is almost never done unless your a resto shop). Apparently metals have changed and you can't pull dents like you used to.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
very true the ones I met that were in the trade for many moons were tuff, arthritic and didn't take any BS....should send one to Ottawa to adjust accordingly
But please don't get me wrong, I was in the trade for more than 30 years , and loved it.
I still miss it , not so much the tougher jobs that involved heat and cold , mind you!!
If you were in with a good crew with a good boss, it's fantastic and you don't have to go to the gym to keep in shape!
However, one must realize that it is one of those occupations where you cannot be complacent for one second " stay in the zone " is a term that is used constantly.
Our job often involves building safe working support structures in unsafe places so other tradesmen can do their job without worry .
I was always proud to go to work and build stuff for people like Elkhunter11 , and their respect for us was returned in kind
Cat
Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I think regardless of the trade you choose , you are going to be dealing with math.
When I went to school for my first year welding ,the math was what I feared the most. I struggled with it all through school.
The instructors were very good and they work with you if they know you are putting in the effort.
I worked my tail off in Nait out of fear of failure and ended up in the top end of my class each year. I was 35 when I was taking my first yr at Nait

Pick a trade you really are interested in and work your butt off, take pride in your work and it will work out in the end.

Go into it with the Idea that your gonna fake your way through and it will be a short miserable career.
Being a welder was a dream job for me at one time. Spent 25 years doing it and climbed that mountain to the top. It was very rewarding while there was work to be had. Welding is dead! The guy looking for a trade! I would choose something that is not directly oil field related and has a track record for keeping steady employment like auto or heavy duty mechanical. 👍
Old 02-23-2021, 11:07 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Being an employer I would suggest something in the food and beverage industry... something like Tim hortons or McDonald’s might be best
HAHAHAHA!!! ROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
If you can count to 5 using your fingers, then welding is the trade for you!
How does that joke go? What did the failed truck driver say to the other failed truck driver?

Nice bead!

(or something like that lol)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM

Default To the OP

We need a bit more background on what you are capable of or like as a work environment.
1. Do you like working outside or prefer indoors?
2. Are you in good physical condition, able to bend/lift etc?
3. All trades require a basic level of arithmetic. Can you work with fractions and decimals? Basic geometry?
4. Are you able to follow instructions, written or oral, to do a task?
5. Lastly, pick what you like doing, ensure that you are able to find an employer in that field. Work for a few months at that job, and ensure you are a fit for each other, and that employer will take you on for the duration of your apprenticeship before you get indentured. Then it doesn't become a drag, and a waste of your time.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Check out a funeral home and become a mortician. Recession proof, and people are dying to get to see you! The pay must be quite good for what they charge for a funeral these days.

BW
There are ads EVERYWHERE on facebook now, for preselling funeral insurance, which get this, gives you up to $50,000.00 to cover funeral expenses!

I am just disgusted by that. My mil has prepaid for her funeral, the very same that she did for her late husband which included beef lunch for ~75 people iirc.
Think the estate will get any of that back when there is no funeral, no lunch, no coffin? I bet she prepaid $30,000 for what will be 10 family members being given a 5 minute prayer and a wooden box to place at the cemetary.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Psst, nudge...20/16ths
Bingo. Now go cut me a piece 3 feet 4 inches and 20/16ths. Lol.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Psst, nudge...20/16ths
What makes my joke even funnier is that you didn’t get it!! You must be a welder too..
Old 02-23-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Have you considered pimping
Pimpin' aint easy .....
Old 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Check out a funeral home and become a mortician. Recession proof, and people are dying to get to see you! The pay must be quite good for what they charge for a funeral these days.

BW
NO kidding. Helping my mom with my grandma's funeral. Her plot beside her husband has been waiting for her for 60 yrs. Still an arm and a leg to complete the deal.

Her son passed 3 weeks prior, his ashes will go in the same plot as his mom's, unbelievable how much that costs.

While there my mom did hers and dads final plot and resting place. Dad in the ground, mom cremated and put in after. Crazy how much that 1 plot and the remaining details cost. Not to mention there will be more costs for the final funerals etc when their day comes.

We knew a Funeral director, made good money doing it, just a sucky job always dealing with death and grieving people.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Id say go with engineering since most of them don't seem to have a clue what they are doing anyways.
Lol, true that.

I have a Millwright ticket and a Welding Ticket, my wife has a Cabinet making ticket and a Carpentry ticket. None of those tickets were easy.

Welding was probably the most easy on math, but it had its own challenges. Millwrighting was a tough one because it covers so much territory, other trades tend to get easyer after the first year as they expand on theorys you have already learned. With Millwrighting it was another big pile of new stuff to learn every year... whilst trying to remain familiar enough with the previous stuff to pass the Red Seal at the end of it all.

Anyhow, my advice for anyone who doesnt know what they want to do, is to get into a trade that you will find useful your entire life, even if you move on. Going on that I would suggest any of the mechanical trades, carpentry, or Welding.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:47 PM

When choosing a trade I wouldn't make a decision based on the gizinta's lot's of other things to consider hard labour, dirty, danger do you want to use your brain or your back?

Look at what trade is most likely to be employed in the future, most of the math will be specific to the trade, estimating materials and fabrication. You don't need calculus to cut a 2x4.

Pick on the welders day eh
What's long and hard on a welder?

Grade 3
Old 02-23-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I was no math wizard in high school but after My machining apprenticeship I was up to speed!! The CNC Tech course was a breeze after!!
This, I sucked at math. On both my tickets I got top marks. I understood my limitations, so I spent plenty of time studying and always double checked my work carefully. I scored way higher than allot of guys who were far smarter than me on a very regular basis, and to this day when somebody wants to play around with belt speeds the problem of figuring out shive/ sprocket size usually ends up getting sent to me.

Quite often, knowing exactly how stupid you really are can be an incredibly valuable superpower. I know a ton of smart people that suck at their jobs simply because they think they are better than they actually are.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:51 PM

Another thing to consider is what you will require for tools. Most jobs require a trades person to supply their own basic tools. However, basic tools for a mechanic are way more extensive and costly than that of a Carpenter. Are you prepared to make that investment in your future, or not?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM

First of all, all schooling is not all the same. A high school learning ('indoctrination') experience is bad for most. A great teacher and at-home living environment is rare. So it can be bad to judge a math experience just by high or jr high school.

Secondly, if math is the real problem then get it fixed. It's like getting a flat tire in your truck. Instead of looking around for a road that you can drive only 10mph on with a floppy tire, get the tire fixed.

Finally, math is genuinely useful, even the extensive math used in tech school or engineering. Most math courses at that level are used to teach other things, which can only be expressed with math. And of course tech schools will always use basic fundamentals courses to filter out people early on who they think have an abstract comprehension problem. They couldn't care less about what you retain after working on the job a few months. That now becomes your problem.

All the guys grousing about 'we almost never use math on the job', which unfortunately also includes a large number of engineers, should still be exercising and using it for their own purposes. It's like a really compact, powerful language that allows you to figure things out that couldn't be done any other way.

Over the last couple of hundred years, a lot of really smart guys used to sit around and figure out now to calculate things better and easier because they didn't have MATLAB and computers. That's how they came up with calculus, Theveninization, fast-fourier transforms, z-transforms, Laplace transforms, linear 'algebra', Kalman filtering, Lyaponuv functions, etc etc. (But even with MATLAB you have to understand what you are trying solve, and how to set up the calculation, and be able to check the results.)

Especially calculus and linear algebra can be used for everyday problems to figure out how to do things that aren't possible any other way. And it's a great systematic, logical training to keep yourself sharp, aware of world realities, and not bored. If more people studied and practiced math, there's be a lot fewer idiots voted into Ottawa.

It's like going to the gym or hiking trail, practicing shooting, or even practicing speaking. If you keep yourself in shape, you can deal with bigger problems and with less effort. Not everybody is going to be in the olympics or be a champion bull rider or shoot to a quarter inch at 500 yards, but almost everybody can be a little or maybe a lot stronger and quicker. That's math.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:59 PM

Im a HD mechanic and have been since i was old enough to work but have been considering pulling a trade as a refrigeration tech.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Well young fellow it’s like this nothing worth doing comes easy...

I did an electrical trade just out of high school. Was also nervous about the math, and there really was lots. However it’s different than high school, there is something on the line, and there is a reason for the things you are doing.

Then I completed power engineering while working a full time job (like 60 hours a week full time) after being out of school for 20 years. I’m pretty sure you can apply yourself and do whatever you want...
Facts here! I nearly failed highschool math. Been out of school 10 years and just went back, last semester my final mark in "statistics for engineering and technology" was 96%. Motivation plays a huge role.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
Facts here! I nearly failed highschool math. Been out of school 10 years and just went back, last semester my final mark in "statistics for engineering and technology" was 96%. Motivation plays a huge role.
Motivation/interest plays a huge roll. I bet that 90% or more of the people on here would say they dont like math, but then ask them about bullet drop, moa/mils, hold over, adjusting for wind and they get all into it... guess what thats all trigonometry/ physics. Funny how when its interesting to us and we find it useful we are willing to learn, and its really not that difficult.

The OP needs to give us more info.
- are you just looking for an easy ride?
- are you just nervous about failing in school and wasting time/money?
- whats your motivation? (quick easy buck, or doing something you enjoy?)

I am asking these questions and trying hard not to assume based on your other posts on here...
Old 02-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Default Easiest trade

What do you say to a guy with an I.Q. under 60 if you want to pay him a compliment...”nice weld”. Just joking, welding is a very good trade if there’s work to be had. Unfortunately, thanks to Mr. Biden and Mr. Trudope that’s not the case these days.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
First of all, all schooling is not all the same. A high school learning ('indoctrination') experience is bad for most. A great teacher and at-home living environment is rare. So it can be bad to judge a math experience just by high or jr high school.

Secondly, if math is the real problem then get it fixed. It's like getting a flat tire in your truck. Instead of looking around for a road that you can drive only 10mph on with a floppy tire, get the tire fixed.

Finally, math is genuinely useful, even the extensive math used in tech school or engineering. Most math courses at that level are used to teach other things, which can only be expressed with math. And of course tech schools will always use basic fundamentals courses to filter out people early on who they think have an abstract comprehension problem. They couldn't care less about what you retain after working on the job a few months. That now becomes your problem.

All the guys grousing about 'we almost never use math on the job', which unfortunately also includes a large number of engineers, should still be exercising and using it for their own purposes. It's like a really compact, powerful language that allows you to figure things out that couldn't be done any other way.

Over the last couple of hundred years, a lot of really smart guys used to sit around and figure out now to calculate things better and easier because they didn't have MATLAB and computers. That's how they came up with calculus, Theveninization, fast-fourier transforms, z-transforms, Laplace transforms, linear 'algebra', Kalman filtering, Lyaponuv functions, etc etc. (But even with MATLAB you have to understand what you are trying solve, and how to set up the calculation, and be able to check the results.)

Especially calculus and linear algebra can be used for everyday problems to figure out how to do things that aren't possible any other way. And it's a great systematic, logical training to keep yourself sharp, aware of world realities, and not bored. If more people studied and practiced math, there's be a lot fewer idiots voted into Ottawa.

It's like going to the gym or hiking trail, practicing shooting, or even practicing speaking. If you keep yourself in shape, you can deal with bigger problems and with less effort. Not everybody is going to be in the olympics or be a champion bull rider or shoot to a quarter inch at 500 yards, but almost everybody can be a little or maybe a lot stronger and quicker. That's math.
Not arguing - just curious how calculus or linear algebra fits into people's lives everyday? I don't know if I have ever used it outside of work.

My daughter is graduate math student and I am scratching my head when she asks me a question for a practical purpose or equation ... I have no idea how they teach some of this highly technical "mathematically unravelling the universe" stuff yet they need to ask basic questions .......
Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I heard lots of good things about power engineering....
Suprised it took a whole 10 posts
Old 02-23-2021, 08:08 PM

Actually and seriously, mudder/taper or wallpaper hanger.

I chose to hire a wallpaper guy when the wife wanted two walls done. I looked at it, did a guestimate on my time, got a quote, $800. Well OK. Considering that would probably be a divorce and a week of hanging, done.

Best 3 hours spent. Seriously. What I figured would take me days they were done in about 3 hours. I wasn’t mad at the price. Way cheaper than divorce.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:30 PM

I am a red seal journeyman electrician and it’s true, the math is tough. Also, apprenticeship is 4 years compared to several other trades that are only 3 years. Still though, when you are working for something like a ticket, all the hard work and sacrifice is worth it.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not arguing - just curious how calculus or linear algebra fits into people's lives everyday? I don't know if I have ever used it outside of work.

My daughter is graduate math student and I am scratching my head when she asks me a question for a practical purpose or equation ... I have no idea how they teach some of this highly technical "mathematically unravelling the universe" stuff yet they need to ask basic questions .......
There's all sorts of engineering physics text- and study-problems available to show what is possible, however one example would be:

"If one-fourth of an electric cable of length 'L' and uniform density 'D' is hanging over the edge of an icy cable tray, how much work does an electrician have to do to slowly pull that last part of it up onto the tray?" -note that the length of the cable is constantly changing after he starts working on it, so the force he applies always varies.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 AM

Wink Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
What makes my joke even funnier is that you didn’t get it!! You must be a welder too..
I decided early on that welding wasn't for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welding priceless.jpg (38.7 KB, 66 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2021, 08:48 AM

Default Sure thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Bingo. Now go cut me a piece 3 feet 4 inches and 20/16ths. Lol.
Can I borrow your tape? Can't find mine anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg measure once.jpg (32.9 KB, 67 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2021, 08:58 AM

Big game guide.
1 moose, 1 hunter.
2 bear, 1 hunter
1 guide, 2 hunters.

shouldn't take more than 1-5 digits necessary
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
There's all sorts of engineering physics text- and study-problems available to show what is possible, however one example would be:

"If one-fourth of an electric cable of length 'L' and uniform density 'D' is hanging over the edge of an icy cable tray, how much work does an electrician have to do to slowly pull that last part of it up onto the tray?" -note that the length of the cable is constantly changing after he starts working on it, so the force he applies always varies.
I'm going to say it will take less work to pull that sucker up than doing a math problem THEN pulling that sucker up.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:21 PM
Banned

I've been biting my tongue since the OP's first post "easiest trade out there"
Easiest trade out there Bennett and JohnnyG for a bag of chips
I'm sorry for the de-rail mostly
Old 02-25-2021, 06:56 AM

Best trades to go into?...as far as job security?

I would say HD mechanic or welder.

I am Electrician.

HD mech because it's a dirty assed job, and there are less and less people that want to get dirty.

There is little chance of robots EVER taking those jobs.

Had I the chance to go back and choose different....I would have been a Welder....

Tags
trade