Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 AM

Default planning a trip for Albacore Tuna...

Hi everyone,
myself and a buddy are planning a trip to fish for Albacore Tuna out of Westport, Washington in August... has anyone here done this trip and what did you think? is it worth it? any charters I should seek out or avoid? how was your overall experience? ive seen some vids online and checked out some websites... it looks like a great time! thanks for any info!!

M
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Gone Hunting

I have a friend who fishes out of there. He was here on a coyote hunt and brought me some tuna. OMG! it was good. They do have to go out aways to get into fish sometimes.40 miles plus.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 AM

Do you know what charter he goes out with or does he use his own boat? Ive read that some of these guys are going out as far as 50-60 miles.. really looking forward to being that far offshore!

M
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM

We went 7 or 8 yrs ago , think it was with Westport charters. It was an over nite trip , which in hindsite i would not do again. There was 9 of us on the boat ,the idea is to go to sleep on the boat the nite before , when you wake up you are 50-60 miles off shore and fishing.You fish all day go to bed, fish a couple hrs in the morning and head for port. The broshure says you should catch 3 - 10 fish. Doesnt matter there was no limit. The fishing was fantastic, except for me being seasick all day...Lol. We were doing so well that the captain had visions of a record day ,which we exceeded . The only problem is that these boats are only designed to hold a certain amount of fish ,properly chilled and taken care of. We caught well in excess of 300 Albacore . My only complaint was that because of the excess of fish the fillets were not properly cared for and meat quality suffered a little because of it.

Heres an overview

Old 01-10-2014, 05:33 PM

wow nice haul of tuna, its too bad the weren't equipt to handle the care of that many tuna.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM

lots of guys are going out of the wcvi. looks like a ton of fun. most guys run about 40-70 miles offshore. I think they start showing up in august and into September. a few boats are doing charters. lots more personal boats. they even have a derby out of bamfield now. might have to do this trip with the ol "wasted seaman" once I work all the bugs out of the old girl.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!
Hey flyguyd what was it about the overnighter that you wouldnt do again? I have a feeling I wouldnt be sleeping for the whole time I was on that boat which will make for a very long/dangerous return trip to Lethbridge... I have never been on the ocean in anything other than a large ferry so I have no idea how I'll feel in regards to the sea sickness... also, any issues bringing back all that Tuna actross the border? Thanks again guys!