Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 PM

Default Some good deals at WSS and some comments...

Hi guys:

Just picked up some reels at WSS Edmonton south 40% off. A few reels left at a 40% discount, plus some rods 50% off, and fly tying materials at $1.

Fly selection is atrocious, and has been that way for months. Apparently, they are transitioning the fly shop section, rumor has it they're going to carry Orvis starting sometime in April, and the target date for decent selection of flies is June (new supplier??).

Wish the upper level mgmt or owners would take their fly fishing section more seriously. They do carry some good stuff, and, in previous times their selection of materials has been decent. Let's hope this shake-up produces good results.

Still loyal to their competitors, especially TFH, and I hate how Cabelas discriminates against Canadian customers by completely segregating the US and CDN operations. I shop at WSS because it's so close, but its' not my #1 choice when I can overlook location and convenience.

Anyways, heads up if you wanted a serious look at some deep discounts on select items.

Smitty
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Sales been on for some time, picked up my pike rod and real in 10 there about 3 weeks ago. I got the same story about the flys, pretty empty down there. They had alot of troubke with people stealing flies, inventory control, etc.

I was told no new anything in the fly shop untill april, thats when new inventory is in. They are low or out of alot of things. I believe the guys name is john? Tall guy works in fly stuff... Says hes trying to light a fire under management to get some better suppliers.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 AM

The tall one is Robert.

Yeah, you can tell the sale has been on for quite awhile. Not much of the sale stock is left.

Smitty
Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 PM

Anyone been in the north store recently? I'm going to be in st Albert this weekend, and wondering if it's worth it to have a look. Looking for a deal on a 10 weight pike rod...
Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM

Was looking for a new pike set up. I ended up with a redington predator 7'10 8wt(Reg $235.00) for $117.00. And grabbed an Amundson wind warrior feather lite 7/9 reel(can't remember original price) for $131.00. I'm happy, quality stuff and a great deal!!