Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Default sketchy ice at isle

hey folks, just a heads up on the ice at isle. was out today and decided to drive across. bad idea! got 2/3 across and hit serious floodwater. got to a dry spot and got out to drill a hole to check ice thickness(a bit late but it was still nice to know) we were on our way to the island where we saw e few other vehicles. the ice was 8" thick with 8" of flood water. i dont know about you guys but 8" of ice is not comfortable for me to drive on. i had an extra lump in my throat driving back. i guess the guys that we say close to the island got on from the other side. i alwayse thought the ice was usually thicker close to the middle?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM

How was the fishing at lake isle ?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM

didnt fish it. too sketched out after the thin ice thing. the people i talked to were catching pike consistantly.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM

Default ice

the 8 inches of ice sure would add alot of weight to the 8 inches of ice. kinda scary. did the same thing one year, went to joker lake up north by redearth. first ones there for the year, no tracks, december i believe, my partner just drove out on the ice and trucked it across the lake. got to our spot on the other side of the lake and started drillin. 6 inches of ice!!!!! i walked back to the other side of the lake thankyou very much!!! but ya, im sure the extra weight of the floodwater musta put a real strain on her.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up Hoffmans Beach

Located near the boat launch there is some springs there. Ice is has thin layers across that section. I found out they were there after one of the cabin owners said it was lucky I had not put the rental car through the ice.