Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Default Childrens limits ??

Just got a call asking about Kids catch limits. Daughter has 4 kids and wants to take them fishing. Do the kids all under 12 have their own limit of fish to keep? or are their fish counted with mom and dads limit ? The lake they want to go to has a 1 pike limit, and with 4 kids it could be a problem as each kid will want to have a keeper.
Thanks for any help
Pete
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM

If the kids catch them they are entitled to their own limit. Now brace yourself for all the ethics police.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 PM

I have always believed they have their own limit, they just do not require a license. The only thing i also believed is if F&W came by they would ask a couple questions to make sure the kids caught the fish, not the adults with them.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks guys. The question is if the kids have their own limit, and it seems they do. The intent is not for the adults to use the kids limit.It is about the 4 kids being able to fish for a keeper of their own.
Pete
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Like stated in previous thread on this topic, make sure your child is actually capable of reeling in their own catch.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Take some nice pictures and let them go, or keep a couple for a dinner, teach them now and there will be fish when want to take their kids fishing.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Kids Fishing

This is a very timely topic for myself.

My 4 1/2 year old wants to come fishing with dad and her uncle. She has never been fishing and is very excited, even gone so far as making a list of what she wants to bring to eat, to play with etc. Has even asked to bring the fire pit so that she can sit by a fire.

We were talking about this just yesterday again, and I mentioned that sometimes we don't even catch fish, and sometimes we have to put them back. I tried to explain to her it's the experience, not the catching and taking, she was to say a little perplexed, as she love's to eat fish.

I've been reading the forum again after a bit of an absence from all the rhetoric that can take place on this forum. For me it's important that she gets to catch a fish or feel the fight of a fish on the end of her rod, so I've been thinking Wabamun as it's close to the city, and she should be able to get the fishing experience, and the pride that can come from C&R Fishing. Uncle is a photographer, so there won't be a shortage of pictures. However her desire to bring a fish home will not happen on Wab, but the experience could be second to none on this lake.

I'd take her to Pigeon, Wizard, or someplace close but I'm not sure the experience of catching will be given, and it will be a day out on the ice bored, I want to get her hooked ( no pun intended ) on fishing.

With all the controversy on this site and concern about limits it makes it somewhat discouraging to take a kid fishing. We don't need a limit, just enough for a fresh feed of fish and for her to realize that she is consuming what she has caught.

Like mentioned my plan will be to take her to Wab and get her understanding C&R and to enjoy the day out on the ice having fun and maybe fighting a fish or two, then to take her to one of the lake where you can keep a few fish for a meal.

Sure is different today then it was many years ago when I went with my dad and uncles.

Guess what I'm trying to say it shouldn't be about the limits, it should be about the experience. Being able to take a fish or two home should be a bonus and shouldn't get a guy or a kid banned or labeled as an abuser of the fishery in our province. After all the lakes and the resources are for everyone to share. Teaching my daughter conservation is the best thing I can do for her.

BW
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retten View Post
Take some nice pictures and let them go, or keep a couple for a dinner, teach them now and there will be fish when want to take their kids fishing.

You have obviously never taken an excited 4 year old fishing. They have no concept of conservation etc. If they have ever watched dad bring home a fish for dinner and have it set in their mind that they want to eat their own fish there is nothing you can say to rationalise with them that won't end in tears and years are a bad way to end a day. If they are allowed by law to keep them then let them so long as the don't go to waste I highly doubt these people are out weekly using their kids to up their limits.

Best of luck I hope your kids catch the fishing bug. The best way to turn a kid into a conservationist is to get them excited young about fishing or hunting.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

My 4 1/2 year old wants to come fishing with dad and her uncle. She has never been fishing and is very excited, even gone so far as making a list of what she wants to bring to eat, to play with etc. Has even asked to bring the fire pit so that she can sit by a fire.

We were talking about this just yesterday again, and I mentioned that sometimes we don't even catch fish, and sometimes we have to put them back. I tried to explain to her it's the experience, not the catching and taking, she was to say a little perplexed, as she love's to eat fish.

I've been reading the forum again after a bit of an absence from all the rhetoric that can take place on this forum. For me it's important that she gets to catch a fish or feel the fight of a fish on the end of her rod, so I've been thinking Wabamun as it's close to the city, and she should be able to get the fishing experience, and the pride that can come from C&R Fishing. Uncle is a photographer, so there won't be a shortage of pictures. However her desire to bring a fish home will not happen on Wab, but the experience could be second to none on this lake.

I'd take her to Pigeon, Wizard, or someplace close but I'm not sure the experience of catching will be given, and it will be a day out on the ice bored, I want to get her hooked ( no pun intended ) on fishing.

With all the controversy on this site and concern about limits it makes it somewhat discouraging to take a kid fishing. We don't need a limit, just enough for a fresh feed of fish and for her to realize that she is consuming what she has caught.

Like mentioned my plan will be to take her to Wab and get her understanding C&R and to enjoy the day out on the ice having fun and maybe fighting a fish or two, then to take her to one of the lake where you can keep a few fish for a meal.

Sure is different today then it was many years ago when I went with my dad and uncles.

Guess what I'm trying to say it shouldn't be about the limits, it should be about the experience. Being able to take a fish or two home should be a bonus and shouldn't get a guy or a kid banned or labeled as an abuser of the fishery in our province. After all the lakes and the resources are for everyone to share. Teaching my daughter conservation is the best thing I can do for her.

BW
I am in kind of the exact same situation except I wonder how my little girl (5 on Saturday) will love ice fishing in the cold. As far as the catching fish part, we have been fishing at ponds 6-7 times and caught only three fish total in her lifetime and she is still super pumped to go fishing every time. We were supposed to go out over Christmas but she got sick with an ear infection and we weren't able to.

I used to go ice fishing a ton when I was younger. Then I moved to Calgary for the last six years and haven't been on the ice. We just moved back to Edmonton recently and I am struggling to come up with a place that would be action filled for her. I used to go to all over with hit or miss success when I used to fish and fishing all day while catching nothing is no big deal to me(and you get used to it).

I am thinking of heading down to Shiningbanks as it's the only place I remember always catching fish in the summers. Ice fished with my grandpa there 15 years ago with no success but mainly the spots I used to fish can be easily walked on. Carson was our go to spot but I am unsure if I could make the walk to my "spot" with my baby girl and all of the stuff. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM

When I take my kids out fishing, they already realize that there is a limit on size and catch limits...I taught them at a young age and they love eating fish but know if we have to C&R....When I go without them and come home with zero...They know I had to throw them back and they are ok with that...

I take them out ice fishing at our cabin in montana which is over run by small perch.....and love catching them and scooping them back through the hole..LOL

Gotta say though, my 6 year old was holding one rod and a 10" perch was on the line..Which is unusual for that lake...almost pulled him down...LOL..and ashamed to say that is my PB for perch
Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

Kyle if you are willing to drive to the bonnyville area pm me and ill tell you where to go for a killer honey hole or even take you myself if I'm not working. This only applies if it's for the kids and of course no spreading it around.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW

I can chime in on this. I took my daughter fishing for the first time when she was 2.5 years old. This was at the Hermitage pond. I took her in the boat when she was 3 years old as I picked the boat up that summer.

As long as you make the trip about here then she will love it and get hooked. Don’t make the mistake of sitting in one place too long for hours and make it about you catching fish or trying to look like some master angler. Kids don’t care about that. All they care about is spending some quality time with you. Teach them techniques. You’d be surprised what they will remember and learn.

This past summer I did a father/ daughter camping trip to Wabamun. It was a lot of fun. Lily(3.5 at the time) taught her self how to hook minnows through the eyes.
When you take kids fishing be prepared to be spending a lot of time un snagging things, lunging across the boat to save the fishing rod from entering Davey Jones locker, bringing out snacks, etc. However when they land their first fish it is priceless and will be talking about it for a long time.

Here’s a thread I did on our first trip to Lac St. Anne. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=150738

Be prepared for what I like to call the Chernobly’s. These are the insane meltdowns of the kids. Sometimes they happen, sometimes not.

When I take lily fishing now we spend maybe 30 min in one spot, if she gets bored then I fire up the motor, find some waves and enjoy, or go searching for beaver dams, bird nests, etc.

I also took her Ice fishing at Veg trout pond last year. Hour to drive there, 20 min to set up the gear, 10 minutes of fishing before I had the “I have to pee conversation”, full blown Chernobyl as she didn’t want to go to the bath room outside nor in the port potties, Chernobly lasted about 15 minutes, 10 min to take down my set up and a long drive back. Hahahaha. To this day she is still wanting to go ice fishing again and yet still reminds me of how she was crying and how it’s going to be different. I will take her again to Veg when it is not -30 in the forcast.

Wabamun and Lac Ste. Anne are great for catch and release (assuming you don’t have tags for the walleye in Lac Ste. Anne.)

As for the limits.. from my understanding each kid has their own limit. I go by the limit your catch and not catch your limit. That’s just me though.

If you go to wab, check out Fallis point and also Point Allison. Those are some good spots for decent jack. When I take people out who haven’t been before I usually take them to those spots.

It’s great she’s involved in the process already and planning what she wants to take and need. If she want’s to bring her ponies or princess.. well you make sure the ponies and princesses are on that trip!

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM

I've been taking my Daughter fishing with me since she was a baby. she's three now and loves to go. we catch a lot of trout and release most of them, usually only keep a couple for dinner. She doesn't even hesitate to let a fish go when we catch one. I believe if you teach them good ethics from the start, they will have them for life.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
You have obviously never taken an excited 4 year old fishing. They have no concept of conservation etc. If they have ever watched dad bring home a fish for dinner and have it set in their mind that they want to eat their own fish there is nothing you can say to rationalise with them that won't end in tears and years are a bad way to end a day. If they are allowed by law to keep them then let them so long as the don't go to waste I highly doubt these people are out weekly using their kids to up their limits.

Best of luck I hope your kids catch the fishing bug. The best way to turn a kid into a conservationist is to get them excited young about fishing or hunting.
Yes, as a matter of fact I have two daughters that have been fishing with me for the better the part of 14 years now, yes there may be some tears shed but teach them young and it will stay forever.(They are both catch and release fisher women now)

What if you take your kid out and catches an undersized fish do you bring it home(illegally) anyway to stop the tears, come on grab a set, the problem with this whole world these days is everyone is afraid to hurt poor Johnnie's or jannie's feelings, bad for their self esteem, load of crap, be a teacher, a few tears and a good lesson, if explained properly the point is understood regardless of the age.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvdout View Post
I've been taking my Daughter fishing with me since she was a baby. she's three now and loves to go. we catch a lot of trout and release most of them, usually only keep a couple for dinner. She doesn't even hesitate to let a fish go when we catch one. I believe if you teach them good ethics from the start, they will have them for life.
Very well done Dad & Mom, my point exactly, start early and teach, I know adults that are not willing to release anything.

You have done well little three year old Grasshopper
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Good point retten toupee lol.

I think the most important part is getting kids involved and no I don't keep undersized fish but if it's legal and the kids wants it I won't say no. Half the fun is playing biologist when you get home. Showing them the gut and what they were eating etc
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Don't forget extra pair of boots and socks for when they step in the hole. Maybe thats just my kid though...lol
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM

It is all about getting them interested and HOOKED on the sport (sorry for the pun) eating a few is good, putting some back is good too.

My yarn about releasing when the girls were young, " they have to back to the school "

Why dad ? So they can become smarter and not bite our hooks as often.

Why dad ? So we can come out next weekend and spend more time on the ice trying to catch them.

What if they get too smart dad ? Then we will stop at Safeway and buy a salmon.

YES, very corny indeed but it worked for years.

I will never forget I had my daughters and my wife out to cross, it was one of those nothing touches the bottom days and you had a perch, we were all a few feet apart and my youngest says to my wife, mom i have never seen so many dumb fish in my life, school in the other lake must have better teachers.

LMFAO

Kids are the greatest.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retten View Post
It is all about getting them interested and HOOKED on the sport (sorry for the pun) eating a few is good, putting some back is good too.

My yarn about releasing when the girls were young, " they have to back to the school "

Why dad ? So they can become smarter and not bite our hooks as often.

Why dad ? So we can come out next weekend and spend more time on the ice trying to catch them.

What if they get too smart dad ? Then we will stop at Safeway and buy a salmon.

YES, very corny indeed but it worked for years.

I will never forget I had my daughters and my wife out to cross, it was one of those nothing touches the bottom days and you had a perch, we were all a few feet apart and my youngest says to my wife, mom i have never seen so many dumb fish in my life, school in the other lake must have better teachers.

LMFAO

Kids are the greatest.

That's freaking Hilarious!!! Thanks for sharing.

BW
Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 PM

kids say some funny stuff. my boy 5 at the time kissed a rainbow cause he torn his lip, and said sorry before letting him go
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM

Good one retten, sounds like when my kids were young. As you have done I did the same with my 2 children when they were growing up. Both of them still love to fish and will carry that onto their children I hope as well.

MM
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder Man View Post
Good one retten, sounds like when my kids were young. As you have done I did the same with my 2 children when they were growing up. Both of them still love to fish and will carry that onto their children I hope as well.

MM
We can only hope, it would be interesting to do a survey of incarcerated individuals and see what percentage had been fishing or hunting as youths.