Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Random camping, OHV use

Hi all, I was informed through unofficial channels that random camping and OHV use in Southern Alberta is being banned. I know they were have been trying to this for some time now although thought it has been a no go. I've tried researching this through Gov't sights, although can't find any information. Any one Know anything of recent changes?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM

This is all coming out of the Landuse Framework program. There are questions in there about limiting or restricting unfettered access.

https://www.landuse.alberta.ca/Regio...s/default.aspx
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned

Banning random camping ,then forcing us on govt and private campgrounds and charge us 20 bucks a night and then ban us from using our own firewood so we have to buy from the private camp operators 2 sticks of wood for another 20 bucks, its about more money thats all.
They just hate to see us camp for free, and the private camp operators have to make their money from somewhere , hence the forced wood charge.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Banning random camping ,then forcing us on govt and private campgrounds and charge us 20 bucks a night and then ban us from using our own firewood so we have to buy from the private camp operators 2 sticks of wood for another 20 bucks, its about more money thats all.
They just hate to see us camp for free, and the private camp operators have to make their money from somewhere , hence the forced wood charge.
I've never been forced to buy would from any campsite I've ever been to. If I bring my own, I burn my own.

I do agree with you on the other stuff though
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
I've never been forced to buy would from any campsite I've ever been to. If I bring my own, I burn my own.

I do agree with you on the other stuff though
We always bring our own as well. Never had a problem yet.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkbrooks View Post
Hi all, I was informed through unofficial channels that random camping and OHV use in Southern Alberta is being banned. I know they were have been trying to this for some time now although thought it has been a no go. I've tried researching this through Gov't sights, although can't find any information. Any one Know anything of recent changes?
Thanks
We've seen this coming for quite some time now. From what I understand, most of it is due to a combination of 'over-use' and 'misuse' ... especially in many of the more popular areas.

I hate for this to happen as much as the next guy, but I have to admit that I've seen so many cases where *&^%$#@ slobs leave such horrible messes behind (both at their campsite and in the bush), that it's enough to make a grown man puke.

Does anyone know when these new rules will take effect, or are they still in the development stage?

TF
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM

There are no new rules. Read about the South Saskatchewan Land Use Framework that I posted about.

Consultations are under way to discuss it. Read it, respond to it, don't fly off the handle based on coffee talk.

Make no mistake the LUF is a big deal that will impact everyone from farmers, to recreation, to oil, gas, forestry.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM

We need to spread the word, share the information, get involved and get educated.

In visiting the web site provided and reading the literature, my first (yet may be ignorant) impression is yes, it's all about the monies (directed to Gov't, big business and a select few). Yes, should there be some sort of management of public land although from what I'm reading is, they are creating their own marketplace. Limiting where monies goes now into the economy and placing into their and a select few (s) pockets.

Is it really about sustaining wildlife and natural areas? I did not read (please, I'm not trying to pick a fight, just an observation) anything making mention to restricting or limiting domestic livestock nor the negative impact they have on the watershed, land erosion etc.

The retailers whom provide products for people whom enjoy the outdoors, either it being ohv(s), gas, camping, hunting equipment, chainsaws and the list can go on and on will suffer. Does this mean I will have to purchase wood from a specific venue instead of supporting many venues when I cut my own wood to heat my house.

Furthermore, the article in fact made direct reference to paid hunting. WOW!

I will be getting better educated and involved, will you?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I hate to break the news to you fellas but this is being considered province wide, not just for southern Alberta. The South might see legislation enacted first but the topic is being debated regularly at the AAMD&C - Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties.
That would be your alderman, councilors, mayors, reeves etc.

Not sure if it is being debated at the AUMA, which is the big cities as opposed to rural districts.

These people have the ear of provincial departments so get heard when they ask something. You can change things if you want but the time to act is now...later will be too late.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Have researched the Alberta Gov't sites pertaining to Southern Saskatchewan Regional Plan. Found lots of reading and information. Tried to enter Public Consultations to find when more meetings and/or information will be held or available. Was this the run around! Circle back and forth, then to page that's not available, yet a phone # to contact.

This topic affects every one in Alberta. So the question I am raising is why does it seem to have been done in a hush hush fashion. I would think every group that was in the know would have in one way shape or form publicly advertised or solicited involvement from their groups, members, public, customers etc.. This site for example, it appears, which I'm amazed, the effort wasn't made to notify it's members and inform them of the events taking place. Just as the sporting goods stores, OHV dealers, 4x4 clubs, Alberta Fish and Game etc. did not appear to make effort to get the information out to the public which will have direct implications to them.

I know, I know, not all information can be placed where others will trip over it to see it. Just thought, being this affect all outdoor enthusiasts in Alberta there would have been more effort made to involve more like minded people that supported whichever group the in the knows were involved with.

I'm disappointed in myself for not realizing this was all taking place and for not being a watchdog.

Now that I may have scared a few with ignorant opinion, please, any of the in the knows that have information regarding upcoming consultations, meetings, work sheets and/or ways that may effect the outcome of the Southern Saskatchewan Regional Plan, make the effort to make it more public knowledge.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...h+saskatchewan

Its been discussed a lot. In that link is link to a bunch of other threads started on this.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM

If you ever went down to the Castle area and saw some of the set ups that people are leaving out for months at a time, you would understand this as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
If you ever went down to the Castle area and saw some of the set ups that people are leaving out for months at a time, you would understand this as well.
Maybe enforce the laws that are in place and people may get the message. Or, is changing the laws and not enforcing them going to make a difference????
I believe the inmates are now running the asylum!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM

First of all I would like to say sorry for my previous rant and thanks to Donkey Oatey for providing information. If one looks they will find, didn't realize what was happening and that I had to look. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Wow that would suck...sort of a user pay system supporting private enterprise!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM

The Government is watching a lot of potential revenue camping for free and riding trails for free. They want a piece of the pie. Part of the plan is to expand current provincial campgrounds and possibly build new ones. Plus add trail user fees and limit areas that atvs can go so it is easier to keep atv users in a confined space so the laws can be enforced. Mclean Creek could be considered the pilot project for future planning. ATV friendly campgrounds that exit on to maintained trails that are monitored heavily. Fish Lake Provincial Park west of Nordegg just added an atv friendly group camp site last year. That project never would have happened if the Province wanted to shut everything down. They just want revenue money.
There are more rv'ers and atv users than ever before but the Province has not built a new campground in decades. It's no wonder the random spots are getting over used.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Rant time!

As someone who camps most weekends at Maclean Creek in the campground I am definately ok with them trying to stop the random camping I would even be in favor of a pay to play box at the staging areas so that they can fix the damage caused by bikes quads and trucks. The RMDRA has been putting up signage indicating the proper trails for bikes quads and trucks yet some quadders feel the need to cut down trees on single track trails so they can go where the bikes go because they can no longer navigate the main trails because the holes are too deep. Take the campground for instance. They spent over 150K to re grade the campground trails and put in gates to keep trucks out yet somehow every weekend there is a truck that makes its way past the gate and is bombing around the campground trails.
There is always kids 2-3 on a quad riding back and forth through the mudholes which were blocked off by the grader leading to new ruts forming. This is leading to quad proofing trails with gates and bike wide ramps. When someone leaves their 5th wheel parked in the same spot from May 1st till after thanks giving right off the gravel pit road and than realizes that to get their trailer out they had to cut the gate open because they we unable to navigate the blockade rocks that were put in before the long weekend that person should be held accountable for the damages they caused.
The amount of damage caused by random campers not only to the fields where they leave piles of trash but when they decide that their quad with bogging tires would make some great you tube videos going back and forth in the same hole all weekend yet somehow the SRD look past it and let this activity continue because they are too short staffed to babysit every jimbob and nancy sweatpants with a beer coosie in one hand and a doobie in the other.

Rant over!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM

It's too bad that Mclean Creek still gets idiots out there. It is the way it is because of them. When I read the South Saskatchewan plan I noted that they are going to take a hard look at the Mclean Creek area and perhaps shut parts of it down or close it to atv use entirely. That would be a shame.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
They are too short staffed to babysit every jimbob and nancy sweatpants with a beer coosie in one hand and a doobie in the other.

Rant over!
Hey!
I resemble that - her name is Nancy.

Jim
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
As someone who camps most weekends at Maclean Creek in the campground I am definately ok with them trying to stop the random camping I would even be in favor of a pay to play box at the staging areas so that they can fix the damage caused by bikes quads and trucks. The RMDRA has been putting up signage indicating the proper trails for bikes quads and trucks yet some quadders feel the need to cut down trees on single track trails so they can go where the bikes go because they can no longer navigate the main trails because the holes are too deep. Take the campground for instance. They spent over 150K to re grade the campground trails and put in gates to keep trucks out yet somehow every weekend there is a truck that makes its way past the gate and is bombing around the campground trails.
There is always kids 2-3 on a quad riding back and forth through the mudholes which were blocked off by the grader leading to new ruts forming. This is leading to quad proofing trails with gates and bike wide ramps. When someone leaves their 5th wheel parked in the same spot from May 1st till after thanks giving right off the gravel pit road and than realizes that to get their trailer out they had to cut the gate open because they we unable to navigate the blockade rocks that were put in before the long weekend that person should be held accountable for the damages they caused.
The amount of damage caused by random campers not only to the fields where they leave piles of trash but when they decide that their quad with bogging tires would make some great you tube videos going back and forth in the same hole all weekend yet somehow the SRD look past it and let this activity continue because they are too short staffed to babysit every jimbob and nancy sweatpants with a beer coosie in one hand and a doobie in the other.

Rant over!
Yep.. I 100% Agree with this. PAY TO PLAY.

It costs a TON of money to fix/repair the damage that even the responsible riders cause. I grew up riding quads, and had a quad until around 2005. I got sick of the antics/rep that comes along with it. As much as I want to, I will not be getting my family back into quading. Sad really.

I personally think it should be run like a park (the gates part anyways). That way, anyone caught wrecking stuff is not allowed back in. Alot of the states are starting up similar things. It actually works pretty good. The ones I saw, had DIY garages available if you broke something, along with a dedicated "tow" truck on location to yank you out.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
As someone who camps most weekends at Maclean Creek in the campground I am definately ok with them trying to stop the random camping !
Be careful what you wish for!!!! Where are you going to camp once all the random campers take over the campgrounds????
Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM

Guys, this is big trouble for the Outdoorsmen. Check the link provided by Don and learn what's going down. Contact your MLA and ESRD Minister Diana McQueen.
Wanna pay to camp? Never set up your wall tent again? Wanna pay for hunting access? Wanna share the small part of accessible crown land that is left when its all over with every other person in the province? Pay to Play? Thats BS.
The first round of public input has been completed. The public meetings have already been held. Now the recommendations are in and the scholars in our provincial govt are going to review and then supposedly ask for more input from the public and stakeholders.
If I want to pay to play I can go to Banff National Park. Except that I cant hunt there, random camp there, quad there, build a camp fire pit there, use lead sinkers there, fish with my provincial license there, hell, I cant even feed the squirrels and gray jays there.
kidd
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Be careful what you wish for!!!! Where are you going to camp once all the random campers take over the campgrounds????
If you pre book your sites by registering online atleast you know that your spot will be vacant when you show up with your trailer. Alot of the younger random campers might have to stay home or at the bar if they cannot afford to pay for a weekend in a loop where the partys shut down at around 11:00 by SRD.