Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Wood stock or Synthetic Stock - What is your preference?
Synthetic Stock 42 27.45%
Either or will do. 34 22.22%
Wood Stock 77 50.33%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM

I prefer wood. The main reason for this preference is, I can make or modify a wood stock while a glass stock is what it is. I like the feel of wood. If the stock is properly bedded and built for utility, it likely to be stable enough as well.
Having said this, I think there is little doubt that a synthetic stock is, in many ways , superior for a hard-use hunting rifle. It is more stable and is stronger. Any damage can be repaired and the repair covered up. The glass stock can be lighter yet retain it's strength.
Still, to me, wood just feels right. I have one synthetic stocked hunting rifle and I want to like it but haven't warmed up to it yet. I had one glass stocked hunting rifle back in the early eighties but sold the stock and replaced it with walnut. I have four synthetic stocked BR and "F" class rifles and like the stocks just fine for this purpose. Leeper
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
I have never broken a synthetic stock.... Can't say that about a wood one.
Synthetics do break, but they don't nearly as often as wood. Great point.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmike123 View Post
Not true at all. Tikkas have some of the cheapest synthetic stocks out there and look how they shoot.
my tikka stock is obviously a better stock than my sps stock and stiffer too
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

If, I had to hunt to survive; synthetic and stainless steel, but since this is my hobby, wood and black steel all the way. There are so little pleasures today to a common man to compromise and hunt with a plastic gun…

GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish . . . and he’ll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Laminate with full length metal bedding block then next choice laminate over cheap tupperware.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Most excellent!

Thanks to all for your comments; thoughts, opinions, pictures and experiences on the topic. Had I been more thorough on the matter I would have created a much more detailed pole that, in the least, would have included laminate stocks in the potential answers.

I thought to ask as I have been rethinking guns and what I am looking for. Specifications have been narrowed down to manufacturer and type, am indeed still working on the other features required... I do believe I will see what kind of deals can be had and take it from there when ready.
There is nothing else I can add about a potential purchase at this time as I am still considering my true requirements for the gun.
For example, it turns out (re:appears to be) that the blued finish that comes with wood stock options all have shiny bluing! It's a Hunting/general use piece, not a wall hanger. I am not looking for too shiny on this one... Yet finishes could facilitate another thread entirely! Weight is 0.2lbs lighter for the high-qaulity synthetic stock (looks to have glass, fiber or some such in the stock material).

Hopefully Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum Members will continue to share information in this thread and provide even more food for thought.

Thank you!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 10-15-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Mine should have said synthetic with full metal bedding, then laminate as I just don't like the Tupperware stocks as they look too cheap. Wood has to be looked after for sure compared to the synthetics but it sure does look great. Laminates are in the middle as they are stable from the laminations and are sort of a best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Laminate with full length metal bedding block then next choice laminate over cheap tupperware.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM

I like a wood stock. Anything your hunting with " properly" is gonna get scratched. I can look at my rifles and remember where I was and what I was doing when I got that scratch. Lots of sentiment for me!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma