Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Help w/Cold lake trip Please

I am traveling to cold lake the week of Sept. 13 from the US for a day or two of work at 4 wing and I was looking for some help on how to get some good fishing in the rest of the week. I will have 2 -2.5 days to make the most of it in that area. I found some lodges and guide services in the area but they seem a little pricey for my budget. Not that they don't need to make a living too, just a little out my range at $500/day. I know a guide is probably the way to go, but it will spend my entire budget for 1 day....

I would just like to catch some Pike or perch that week and don't mind renting a small boat, just wondering if I should utilize cold lake or one of the many smaller lakes in the area. Also looking for a place to stay near the water that I may be able to fish after work???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There is so much to research when you travle to an unknown area. Thanks for any help!

Kook68
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM

In my opinion, it’s not the best time of year to be fishing up in that area as the fishing really begins to slow down for Walleye and Pike at least. I’m unsure from whom you could rent a boat from in the area however......

Ethel Lake or Hilda Lake is within a 30mins drive from Cold Lake. Smaller lakes making finding the fish much easier and one should have no trouble finding Pike in either. Little Bear Lake (a.k.a Hassie Lake) (in the same area as Ethel & Hilda) is a small pothole lake loaded with stocked Rainbow Trout and would be fishing very well at that time of year although the rainbows will only average about a 1lb or two. Tons of fun on fly fishing gear and you’ll catch many either on fly fishing gear or spinning gear using bait.

There use to be a fishing shop in the Cold Lake Mall whom rented out boats in the area but I'm uncertain if that outfit still exists as it was a few years ago. It was called ??? & Sons if my memory serves me correct.

The Marina at Cold Lake also use to rent out smaller aluminum boats for use on Cold Lake again I'm not certain if they still rent them out? Would be much cheaper than the guided service however it will be up to you to find the fish and how to catch them and Cold Lake is a large body of water which makes it tougher to find the fish and usually a little choppy (dangerous) for a smaller aluminum boat.

You could easily spend 2 days up there just figuring out what’s going on and where everything is. The guided service may be the way to go and the Lakers should be active. If it’s your first time and you want to catch fish for what you will end up paying, you will not only catch some fish you will be educated on how and where to catch them so the next time your up you will be all set-up and knowledgeable enough to try it on your own.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks Penner. I appreciate the feedback. Cold lake looks very large thats why I was wondering about some of the smaller lakes. I will be driving back to Edmonton airport ont he tial end of the trip if you have any suggestions for that area. I was hoping the pike action would get going again in the fall. Trout are fun just a different action than I was looking for.

thanks again.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM

If you will be renting a boat you will need a boat operaters lience.
Try typing in Cold lake in search and that should lead you to a few locals at cold lake that come on this site ,give them a privite message maybe they will take you out . I normaly charge $20.00 an hr ....give them the same offer ,they might bite! Try Tyee 33 I beleive he lives up there .
Good fishing for pike just to the left of the campground boat launch this time of year.
Good luck !
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM

The tackle shop at the marina that used to rent out boats was called "hook line and sinker" They have since closed down! If I was gonna try a lake for good pike action it would be Bourque. Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 AM

As far as I can interpret, the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations can be met with a completed boat rental safety check-list. That is if you don't already have the Operator Card or recognized equivalent, resident or otherwise. Go rent to your heart's content.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...tor-1610.htm#a
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Thank you all for your replies. great help.

JR- that is very resaonable and I would not have a problem at those rates. 500 is a bit steep.

Anyone ever use lake Winefred lodge?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
lemmotlow

Be aware lake trout season closes sept 15.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:47 AM

Lake Trout season does not close Sept 15. It is a zero possession limit. Catch and release only.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 AM
lemmotlow

Fishing for them after the 15 is just legal poaching. There are other fish in the lake,but require skill to catch that might turn you off .
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM

If my memory is correct, if you rent a boat you dont need a opperators card. Its worth phoning a boat rental place here and check.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Leemnuts (above) is out of his head. I suppose all lakes IE Wolf and Bourque for walleye that have zero limit (catch and release only) is legal pouching?

The author of this thread is out to have so fun catch so fish. Cold Lake has some great fishing. All I'm saying is Cold Lake does not close Sept 15 for Lake Trout (as mentioned above). It has a zero possession limit.

Last edited by splake0; 09-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 PM

:medium-smiley-035 Good to know , need to have some trout FUN. Just where is - if you know where to go - located ?