Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Unhappy Worst Luck Ever!!! - Newell Lake

I was fishing yesterday from shore in Newell Lake, after an hour of getting nothing a nice lady walked by and said "there is a good spot 100 feet down there... there is lot of fish feeding on top of the water..." anyway, nothing to lose, walk 100 feet and there were at least 50 fish I guess feeding and swimming just on top of the water, just 5 meters or less from shore, they were even jumping in front of my face... I tried everything I could to catch them and nothing..., spoons, rapalas, jigs, flyes, NOTHING!! the bait was in front on their faces and nothing, I even tried maggots as bait was allowed and nothing... I was there at least one hour with all that fish in front of my until I gave up and leave... not sure what kind of fish it was, I think walleye for the top fin... anyway, just want to share my frustration...
Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

white fish.......... they have really small mouths and when they feed on the top flies work mosquito is the most common. May be something else but sounds like the same thing at Sylvan too. Small panther martins too. I remove two of the three treble hooks works great for schooling whites.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 PM

I agree. Probably Whitefish. Very finicky. Small flies and spinners are the way to go for sure.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Lake whitefish. Next time, use a pheasant tail nymph or prince nymph and give it subtle action.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Default Whitefish

I always used a SMALL hook with a single salmon egg. But if you can't use bait, The craft store sells these little fuzz ball things in pink or red they work good about three feet behind a float.