Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM

Default Baptiste Lake ** w/pics finally!**

thinking bout heading out to Baptiste for a day, Anyone know how the water is looking this late in the season? I know that lake is prone to that nasty algae. if anyone has been out in the last couple of weeks, some info would be appreciated. Heading out Saturday from 6am to 4pm if anyone is interested in tagging along. from the Edmonton region. Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 AM

Default update

made it out to Baptiste lake, WOW! what a day! The bite is definatley on right now. 34 fish (pike and walters) between 7:30am and 3:00pm between my brother and I. there was wind, rain, and cold, which is bad for us but great for fishing. Started out from the dock at 7:30 in two-three feet of water. Grass and lillies on both sides of the dock. just a plain jane red devil and the jacks came out to greet us. asserting their dominance of their territtory we accidently snagged 5 jacks that day because they bump the lure and with braid it feels like a bite so... set the hook and... there u go, labotomy by hook. luckily it takes a lot more than a little hook to the head to fell these gators. we caught pike all day and if you cast off the otherside of the boat you hook on to walleye. that lake has come back with a vengeance, lets hope people try hard to keep that gem going for a while. our biggest of the day was a healthy 10.2 pound with about 4 other pikes in that range just a couple cm shorter so we didnt bother wasting time since they were biting almost as fast as you could get your line back out at times. there were a couple of guys pettering around in a 9 foot aluminum with a 9.9 on the back, from manitoba. really nice guys to talk to and they had a fantastic day. they pulled a 90cm jack right behind us and on that same pass they pulled a huge walleye, from where i was standing it looked to be about 9 pounds itself! hopefully they had proper tags cuz i didnt see the walter go back in. but maybe it did go in, i definately dont want to accuse someone without knowing for sure, like I said they were really nice guys and probably did the right thing. I absolutley encourage anyone to try that lake again. It had been 6 years since I last visited because they had all that trouble with that nasty algae. here are some pics and hopefully I can load the videos i have somewhere of the jacks going crazy for my topwater tries. it was awesome to see the fish come out of the water so aggressively at our lures. cheers
oops pics r too big but i will come back during the labour day classic and post the pics. Go Edmonton!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 PM

Default pics added finally!

here are some pics of that great day on baptiste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bap1.jpg (96.5 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg bap2.jpg (97.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg bap3.jpg (73.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg bap4.jpg (101.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg bap5.jpg (51.7 KB, 232 views)
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 AM

fun lake to fish, was there in the spring to do some work on the big green house at the far north end for 10 days, and got the boat in the water 5 of those days. What a fun lake, healthy fishing. Hope to get back there in the spring again, with a tag!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM

I fished this lake a few times and everytime i go my crew catches small pike. Not really worth my time.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Where's the pic of the 10.2 lber?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Default nice

nice hammerhandles. lake looks calm as glass.... i like.