Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
s_buffalo

Good read on this thread.

Before I blab here, just so's you know, I'm not an expert on either bows or firearms, but I enjoy shooting both and I certainly value the different skills and hunting disciplines involved.

In my mind, there is a logical reason for the separation between the bow and rifle seasons:

1.) Stalking: Bow hunters typically need to be able to get closer to their quarry than rifle hunters do. Because it is a "quiet" hunting season, the animals are typically less skittish, facilitating the stalk.

2.) Safety: A bowhunter relies heavily on camouflage and proximity. Bearing in mind that a bowhunter's concealment efforts are not only effective in regards to the quarry, but also other hunters, a bowhunter can have the added confidence of not having the added risk of being accidentally shot by another hunter using a weapon with a longer 'reach' (i.e. a rifle hunter) while approaching an animal.

Now, with this in mind, I don't understand why some think a crossbow doesn't fit the above criteria... Can you?

Bow season wasn't created to provide priveleged/priority access. It was designed to provide greater chances of sucess for those who choose a weapon where the level of difficulty in attaining success was typically greater. I honestly believe that horizontal bows are on par with vertical bows in this regard, in comparison to firearms. In comparison with each other, like Sheephunter points out, there is give-and-take (bulk vs. draw).

Just my 2¢... Have fun out there, guys & gals!

Stinky
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Default re crossbows

holy smokes give me a break i was busted by drawing back my bow im thinking you were busted long before then i cant shoot a bow while kneeling hmm the new compounds are under 3ft in lngth sounds to me like these are selfish hunters to me i hunt with bows ,crossbows and firearms the only real advantage is with a rifle i can shoot as far out as i feel comfortable with any kind of bow includeing crossbows your kind of limited to about 60 yards max so not much of an advavtage in other provinces when they have included crossbows did not see a whole bunch more pressure put on the game animals maybe a few extra people out there but not everybody who hunts with a rifle went out and got crossbows and decimated herds given the choice i would hunt with my crossbow more yes but when im limited to only a couple of weekends i use my rifle as for useing my bow i useit alotmore now and im very proficiant with it it takes practice as does anything crossbows take along time to master as well they dont shootwell in wet weather as for the scopes you still have too take into account distance andwind like any other weapon and practice practice practice it takes as long to master as any other bow
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Can't use crossbows this season during archery, I hope someday we can. By then I may not care and will give up the crossbow.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Exclamation Crossbows

I was wondering how many of the people who use crossbows and want a season other than what we currently have actually purchased their crossbow? I would bet that most of the people posting on this board are sponsored by the crossbow industry. My father can not draw a bow so he got a permit from F&W to use his crossbow during the archery season (no he is not missing a limb as someone posted eailer (this is not a requirement)). If you have a legitimate disablity you can get a permit and hunt during the archery season.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Long Bow

How about a long bow or recurve seasion,or just put the compound's and crossbows in the rifel seasion.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
How about a long bow or recurve seasion,or just put the compound's and crossbows in the rifel seasion.
X2
Cross bows and compounds are alot closer related than compunds are to long bows.

This thread is rediculous. A bow is a bow. Put bows in bow season, and firearms in firearm season.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
This thread is rediculous. A bow is a bow. Put bows in bow season, and firearms in firearm season.
I like your moves Chung! You sure have a delicate way with words.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Here's an idea I've long been advocating.
keep the archery zones just that - bows.
I'm talking about 410, 248, etc.
The general season can be just that, anyhting goes!
Scrap any special muzzle loading seasons, archery seasonss before rifle seasons, evrything.

Beforee anybody spins a nut, I do just this!
I hunt in the regular season with bow, loose powder and muzzle loader, and modern rifles.
I don't use treee stands as a rule, I'd rather still hunt - MY choice.
I don't bait either, prefer to spot and stalk - MY choice.
i don't try and push them on anyone else.
Cat
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
My father can not draw a bow so he got a permit from F&W to use his crossbow during the archery season (no he is not missing a limb as someone posted eailer (this is not a requirement)). If you have a legitimate disablity you can get a permit and hunt during the archery season.
Actually it is a requirement if you read the Wildlife Act. Some F&W offices are more lenient but unfortunately others are not and there is no uniformity as to who gets a disabled permit and who does not.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 PM

WCT said "I would bet that most of the people posting on this board are sponsored by the crossbow industry."
Ready to lose some money? 'cause you would lose that bet.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctbowtech View Post
I was wondering how many of the people who use crossbows and want a season other than what we currently have actually purchased their crossbow? I would bet that most of the people posting on this board are sponsored by the crossbow industry. My father can not draw a bow so he got a permit from F&W to use his crossbow during the archery season (no he is not missing a limb as someone posted eailer (this is not a requirement)). If you have a legitimate disablity you can get a permit and hunt during the archery season.
Just wondering how you came up with this thought......."I would bet that most of the people posting on this board are sponored by the crossbow industry."

I most diffenetily am not thats for sure.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
sheephunter

I've done some work with Excalibur Crossbows but really nothing to gain...financially anyhow if we got a season in Alberta. Truthfully, I've never supported nor opposed a season...just brought some facts to light about crossbows. I hate seeing misinformation spread about any facet of hunting and there was plenty being spread about crossbows. I actually got involved with Excalibur and Bill and Kathy just so I could learn more about crossbows. To that end, I've been successful. Most of the crap being spread is by people that have never actually used one.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 PM

You want to know something I was about to give up on crossbows after my 1st one was stolen along with my video recorder, but hey I still have 1 more crossbow. The only draw back is that it needs to be sighted in, my 1st one had a scope and it was near ready for hunting....but this 2nd one is a virgin, it has never been used once.

Oh well maybe if Blades petition gets the 500 names he needs to hopfully get the crossbows into the archery season then perhaps I will use it. Anyhow this Saturday I am off bow hunting. Oh man, this is Eltoro poopo...I forgot to get my bowhunting permit...best pick that up on Tuseday.

Last edited by Dunezilla; 12-04-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=wctbowtech;37035] I would bet that most of the people posting on this board are sponsored by the crossbow industry. QUOTE]

Not me. I don't think anyone would sponsor me for anything really. I've seen this argument a few times before too....always appears to me as a last ditch attempt to discredit the arguments it seems.

Stinky C. formerly Blakeinator2
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually it is a requirement if you read the Wildlife Act. Some F&W offices are more lenient but unfortunately others are not and there is no uniformity as to who gets a disabled permit and who does not.
Yes, until someone actually challenges this in court. That requirement would fall flat. I'm pretty sure a court would grant a hunter with, say, MS the same right as an amputee to use a crossbow.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 PM
sheephunter

Not sure how you could challenge it in court Oko...the law is very specific. You use a crossbow without a permit and you are going to be charged and it would most likely stick. Seems sad that you have to shop around F&W offices to find one that will give you a permit. What needs to happen is a change to the Wildlife Act. Actually, there are a lot of changes that need to be made to the Wildlife Act but I doubt we'll see it any time soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep hunter View Post
Bowhunter numbers (based on number of bowhunting licences sold) are dropping in Alberta at a fairly rapid rate. Allowing crossbows in archery seasn would likely do little more than bring those numbers up to historical highs. You never heard the ABA complaining about too many bowhunters then so how could bringing those numbers back up be a bad thing? See why this does seem like a very greedy position the ABA is taking. When overall hunter numbers began dropping in Alberta all hunters banded together to geth those numbers on the rise once again. Why is the ABA content to let the number of bowhunters fall?

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel here folks? Many provinces and states do allow crossbows in regular archery season. There is nothing new or earth shattering about the concept.
Well said Sheep I am not a bow hunter but might be interested if I could use a crossbow
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 AM

For all you rifle hunters, if you are thinking about picking up a horizontal bow, remember that you are converting over to archery hunting, with all the applicable kill distances and other skills related to any other form of archery. The reason I restate this is that I have had rifle hunters back away from using the horizontal bow when they find out the chances of getting a 1-200 yard kill are NIL. Close range tool only.......

Todd
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Close range tool only.......
Well said!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

As far as the sponsership goes, is anyone on here getting free stuff from X-Bow companys?

I know I am not.

Jamie
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Default xbows

A person has the right to file an appeal if not satisfied with the C.O,s decion regarding any special permits.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Whatever. I'm still waiting for knife only season

Whatever. I'm still waiting for knife only season. I got a grizzly bear in mind - I think I can take it if the season goes Dec - Apr or so.

and no compound or horizontal knives either.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
A person has the right to file an appeal if not satisfied with the C.O,s decion regarding any special permits.
And who do you file this appeal with when the Wildlife Act specifically states you must be missing a limb and the head boys in Edmonton say that the Wildlife Act is the final word on this one????

Talk all you want but this is the law as it stands and you can whine and file all the appeals you want but it ain't going to do you any good. Your only option is to shop around F&W offices and hopefully find a sympathetic officer in one....and that is a fact!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
As far as the sponsership goes, is anyone on here getting free stuff from X-Bow companys?

I know I am not.

Jamie
Goes for me too...why people always take the discussion this way i don't know?

Here's a question...so what if we all did get free stuff from crossbow companies? What then?

Does that make them not fit with the other bows?

I know if i made crossbows i'd sure be promoting the shyt out of them too...and once they are let in with the rest of the bows then its all good for business...then i'd sell out to a big outfit and retire to hunt the rest of my days.

Dare to dream Arnold....dare to dream.

They still fit with the other bows and still do Albertans more good regardless of who gets free stuff....just gotta follow the logic is all.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Sheephunter , I have parkinsons disease which has affected my right arm and leg , can,t pull a bow back or hold it at draw without shaking ,I applied for a xbow permit and was denied because I have two arm,s. C.O himself told me to file an appeal. I will know in a few weeks if I will be granted a permit.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post

Oh well maybe if Blades partition gets the 500 names he needs to hopfully get the crossbows into the archery season then perhaps I will use it.
Where is this petition at? I would gladly sign and could easily find at least another half dozen guys to sign.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
sheephunter

Sorry to hear that deerslayer.....some laws just make no sense.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm with Kwantes. Bring in the knife season. I just wrote a letter to Hunting magazine about this exact issue. I can't believe that this subject creates so many sore spots. I also can't believe that someone would say that their way of hunting requires more skill then another's way of hunting. I've watched video clips of guys making 1000 yard shots at targets and small varmints that I could not dream of duplicating even though I am a rifle hunter. I don't think that a skilled bow hunter would be able to duplicate that shot with a rifle either. That same rifle man might not be able to make a 45 yard shot with a bow of any type. We all choose to hunt in different ways. We practice the skills that will help us improve in the method we choose to hunt. We are all hunters. But to flat out say that one means of hunting requires more skill than another, come on. As I stated I hunt with a rifle but I would sure give a thought to a crossbow given the opportunity. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Smile Cross Bow Permit Clarification regarding "Amputee" status

As a point of clarification (as cut and pasted from the Act), one does not have to be an "AMPUTEE" in order to obtain a crossbow license/permit:

Cross-bow licence - eligibility

41 A person is eligible to obtain or hold a cross‑bow licence if and only if he is an individual who

(a) is

(i) a paraplegic,

(ii) a quadriplegic,

(iii) a hemiplegic,

(iv) a single above‑the knee lower limb amputee, or

(v) a double lower limb amputee,

or

(b) suffers from any other physical condition, affliction or handicap that is permanent in nature and that involves an upper limb paralysis or amputation that prevents that individual from utilizing conventional archery equipment

It is the "or"component that recognizes "paralysis" that may be resultant from physical condition, etc.

While an amputee generally is granted a permit, these permits are annual in nature (expiration of March of following year), and although the conditon must be permanent in nature, all applicants must apply yearly for the permit (somewhat of an oxymoron). I have attained a permit, annually, due to signficant left arm fixation (due to signficant joint fracture with internal fixation) that has prevented marked and significant extension of the arm for any "conventional" bowhunting applications. While I am not an amputee, there would be no other way to engage in archery activities without a crossbow (try drawing a conventional bow when your arm does move past 50 degrees of extension). Thought I would respond before anyone gets on the issue of "amputation" being essential to the permit/license.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Sharpedge

Default Killing animals

I'm a recent newcomer to this forum and so far I am impressed with the content and general good manners shown. However I am reminded that one never sees the eyes of the writer.

And what an interesting thread this has been. So many shots and yet so many misses too.

Undoubtedly you all have your opinions and various degrees of experience in the subject of hunting. But how much real experience do you have when it comes to killing animals? This is the point that is missed when the crossbow issue is raised, time and time again.

The crossbow was invented because the longbow of the time was inefficient in the hands of amateurs. And that's what the average big game hunter is compared to everyday professional killers of animals. Like it or not, the average hunter will kill less animals in a lifetime than a slaughterman might kill in a few hours. And slaughtermen are not granted as much as thirteen years to practice and develop the necessary skills either. (This is what one writer claims when talking about his bowhunting experience.) This begs the obvious question: Notwithstanding "targets" what does one practice on?

If we accept the legitimacy of hunting animals with sharp instruments, such as the broadheaded arrow (or bolt), why do we continuously argue about the method of delivery?

I believe we all have a moral duty to allow the best of tools to be used by those who still choose to hunt for all the right reasons. The way an animal dies should not be dictated by those who would involve the subject animal in the equation of difficulty for perceived bragging rights.

And a farmer, rancher, landowner, the physically challenged, aged, youth or whomever, should not be required to develop the prowess to use an inferior tool simply because the law refuses to accept that there is a better way, whilst also being safer than using a firearm. This is the status quo in many parts of the WMUs that are currently 'archery only'. And this is blatantly unfair to both the ethical shooter and the target animals!

People are also being refused permission to hunt with bow and arrows for reasons true or false. If those same folks gained permission because the crossbow is known and proven to be better in most hands: what would anyone be losing?

Sharpedge