Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 11:16 PM

Question Ice Fishing for kids

Im looking to take my kids (8,5,3) ice fishing for their first time once the ice is decent. Hoping to get them hooked on it. Normally I would have taken them to the Dickson Trout pond as I've pulled dozens of suckers out in the past, but I cant even seem to get suckers out there lately. Wondering if someone has some suggestions on where we could go within a decent driving distance of Sundre?
Don't care what or how big the fish are just as long as we can hopefully get a decent amount of them, as we know for kids its quantity over quality. I don't have an underwater cam or power auger so drilling numerous holes to try and find fish is rather difficult. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 AM

Chain lakes (south) is great for kids. Small trout but easy to catch a few if not lots. Bring shrimp, velveta cheese and some of those Berkeley power bait, trout bait balls in a jar. Straight out from the launch and south to the damn. Lots of people there so no guess work.
No idea on ice conditions, and it gets windy often. I think you can keep 3 trout, but check the regs.
A bit of a drive but well worth it. Might be better options, but it’s where I take my kids if I have the time to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 AM

Should be a few lakes nearby with Perch.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Smile Let us know

I think that it is great that you want to take your Kids. The rub I had was keeping them interested. Ice fishing is not a sport that most people find exciting. The kids complained about "nothing to do" and "I'm cold".

I'm very interested on how this goes. When I took the boy scouts, making bannock (Bisquick and an egg in a plastic bag I think) was the only thing that kept them amused, lighting fires too.

Good for you and all my best to your children.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 AM

My kids take great joy in having the camera so they can watch the fish... and sometimes they get the iPad.... ( not often as in I remember to bring the iPad once or twice a year )
Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
...The rub I had was keeping them interested. Ice fishing is not a sport that most people find exciting. The kids complained about "nothing to do" and "I'm cold"...
X2

I have been taking my kids ice fishing pretty much their whole lives. When we first started I felt it was necessary to keep them sitting with a rod in their hand but it just ended up in me having a lousy time running around rebaiting hooks, settings & re-setting depths ("how many times have I said don't reel it in unless you have a fish!"), getting snacks, etc. all the while they are fighting boredom and being cold.

I finally wised up. Now I set up a Jaw Jacker for each of them and leave them to do their thing. They pull each other around in the sled, build forts, move snow around with the shovels, clear slush, warm their toes in the truck, dig through the snack bag, etc, while I fish to my heart's content. A lot more fun for them, and a lot more enjoyable for me. And when their Jaw Jacker goes off they come running and still get the thrill of landing their own fish.

I suggest bringing an extra set of mitts, boots, and pants for them. I can't count the number of times they've soaked a boot by inadvertently stepping in a hole.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
X2

I have been taking my kids ice fishing pretty much their whole lives. When we first started I felt it was necessary to keep them sitting with a rod in their hand but it just ended up in me having a lousy time running around rebaiting hooks, settings & re-setting depths ("how many times have I said don't reel it in unless you have a fish!"), getting snacks, etc. all the while they are fighting boredom and being cold.

I finally wised up. Now I set up a Jaw Jacker for each of them and leave them to do their thing. They pull each other around in the sled, build forts, move snow around with the shovels, clear slush, warm their toes in the truck, dig through the snack bag, etc, while I fish to my heart's content. A lot more fun for them, and a lot more enjoyable for me. And when their Jaw Jacker goes off they come running and still get the thrill of landing their own fish.

I suggest bringing an extra set of mitts, boots, and pants for them. I can't count the number of times they've soaked a boot by inadvertently stepping in a hole.
This is how I do it to. Couple jaw jackers for each kid and then they can do their thing. Lots of times that involves them watching the camera or cooking marshmallows on the fire or asking me a bazillion questions about where ants go in the winter lmao.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 AM

X2 on the jaw jackers my two girls 10-8 love them An love to watch the flags go up on the tip ups thermos of hot chocolate sure helps also last winter a. Fish An wild life officer came to cheak us out first time girls meet one awsome guy girls even asked to get a picture with him while they held the two pike we caught that morning
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
X2

This is great advice, plus don't forget the all important Ipad loaded up with movies!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentam View Post
Im looking to take my kids (8,5,3) ice fishing for their first time once the ice is decent. Hoping to get them hooked on it. Normally I would have taken them to the Dickson Trout pond as I've pulled dozens of suckers out in the past, but I cant even seem to get suckers out there lately. Wondering if someone has some suggestions on where we could go within a decent driving distance of Sundre?
Don't care what or how big the fish are just as long as we can hopefully get a decent amount of them, as we know for kids its quantity over quality. I don't have an underwater cam or power auger so drilling numerous holes to try and find fish is rather difficult. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I will have my shack out on Gull again this year. Its not fancy but its got a wood stove and benches and I have a camera I could set up for you. If you feel like making the drive up this way one weekend once the ice gets good I'll set you up for the day.

The camera makes a world of difference with keeping the kids involved even if you're not catching much. I'll be honest I enjoy having it too.

Let me know and we can set something up. I have a couple kids in hockey so finding a day that works might be tough but we can make something work I'm sure.

Hilgy
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM

There are a few stocked ponds close to Sundre. I have had success at birch lake ice fishing and phyllis lake is full of stunted perch which can be fun for your kids.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Take them to Spray Lakes south of Canmore if you don't mind great scenery and a little bit longer drive. We fish about 200-300 metres offshore from the Driftwood Day Use boat launch and always catch lakers. Check the regs for this season, but in recent years the limit has been 3.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
X2

I do the exact same thing, when I take the family out (wife + 2 girls) I put out 4 jaw jackers one for everybody and let the kids go nuts running to them. Its a riot when multiple go off at the same time. My eldest daughter (6 years old) is relentlessly focused. She will sit there all day staring at the flasher and has been very good about setting the hook and catching her own fish. My youngest (4 years old) is quite the opposite, she will fish for a while and when it dies down she goes looking for something to do.

Last year the ice froze really nicely and I brought a shovel and their skates. They made their own skating rink/path and skated around for hours. I also bring their disney tackle boxes but instead of hooks I load it with junk food/candies which is rare for our household so they really dig it. Of course, they enjoy sitting in the front of the truck warming up and enjoying some hot chocolate. I have only really had them out in nicer weather and haven't had them couped up in my ice tent but I might try that this year and bring along the tablet in case.

They look forward to going and have been asking about it for months!