Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 AM

Default Lake O'Hara / Banff & Yoho National Parks

Hello

Just wondering if anyone had been fishing at Lake O'Hara (and if it is permissible to fish there?)

Also, it would be good to have suggestions of places to fish within the Banff and Yoho National Parks.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Yes you are allowed to fish there. 11 km up the road either by hiking or get a reservation on the bus...available from the Yoho Info Centre in the town of Field. Emerald Lake is good when the crowds aren't there, as is the Pipestone River in Lake Louise up at the falls if you don't mind a bit of a hike. The Bow River is good also at many different places if you can find somewhere that the water is deep. If you are up for a good stroll/hike..Smith Lake is good also. Head to HWY 93 south at Castle Mtn, and on the east side of the highway you will see the road entrance that leads to the trail. It's a 1.6 km hike to the lake, with the last little bit being steep. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks Yeti

One final question - would you say fly or spinning works best at these locations?

My gut instinct says fly...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Well I have never fly fished...forgive me I never learned yet..but I have had some decent luck with spinners, and a weighted fly with bobber set up. I have a few friends who fly fish, and they never go home empty handed from there.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM

If you dont want to hike up to Lake O Hara you have to make reservations to take the bus up to 3 months in advance