Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
I shoot 52 # setting on my compound for years.
Bought a 40# take down so I could still hunt if ever needed
Bought 30# limbs at a later date as 40 is More as there is no break.
Practice light incresse weight slowly.
Same reply for me as well a 45# re curve is a LOT of bow
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post

I started out with a recurve shooting staw bales then ground hogs then attached a bowfishing rig and shot carp and lamperay eels. That’s how I got started.

The bow was I think a Ben Person fiberglass at 45lbs. (in the picture).
I shot with a three finger glove (index finger over the nock).

Many years later I’m shooting a Golden Eagle compound recurve still using the same 3 finger glove for a release, a friend how shoots competition target (and does very well) tells me to melt bees wax into a can and dip my glove (three fingers inside) into it.
Said it molds the leather into the fit of your fingers, gives you a faster cleaner release.
Archers edge tip from a man who shot a lot.

I had a Bear Whitetail Hunter compound after the Pearson recurve and before the Golden Eagle. It was then I killed my first deer, 2 to 3 after the Pearson, with the Bear bow but
not because the bow made a difference, I simply put in enough time hunting and learning to make it all come together.

The Pearson at 45 lbs would have been more than enough bow to drop that deer, I simply
had decided at the time to upgrade because I spent so much of my time target and small game hunting with that Pearson bow I wanted to try the new stuff.

When I finally learned how to hunt, I was able to get that deer in range (20 yards) relaxed
head down and away, broadside shot, no twigs or branches in the way. Stopped, standing.
That’s how I shot my first deer with a bow, the bow was not the issue. The Pearson could have dropper her same as the Bear didn’t matter. If I could do a lung shot on a ground hog at 20 yards with the Person and I did many times.

There’s something to said about the feel of the shot with a recurve, it’s like many have said “You see the arrows flight upon release that is what you see, but in your minds eye you have already seen it’s path and on the relax of the fingers you see the arrow rock the target. Hitting exacting where you think it was going to go, just before you released.

If you can read all this stuff above and still want to shoot a bow, you are truly a bow hunter tried and true.

Seriously it’s more than well worth the time spent to try it out, it’s not for everyone but
many have made their live better for it. Best of luck, lots of people here to help with it, simply ask.

It was more than a whole lot of fun, I learned a lot, it made me a better person.

Bones.
Great picture and post, thanks for sharing!

I am really looking forward to some relaxed weekends in September trying to get real close. I have been practicing quite a bit before it got cold. Long learning curve, but so rewarding.

Pretty sure I am hooked.

Matt
Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Same reply for me as well a 45# re curve is a LOT of bow
I have been mainly practicing with my 25#, the 45# is really fun to shoot - feels like a rocket launcher in comparison. I find it is easier to be accurate with the 45#, but it is too hard on my shoulder to practice for an extended period of time.

I guess I need to keep getting my strength up and maybe revisit how I am pulling back.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM

one person on youtube that has a lot of really good videos covering shooting recurves and longbows is greyarcher. check him out if you get a chance
Old 02-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylejm View Post
one person on youtube that has a lot of really good videos covering shooting recurves and longbows is greyarcher. check him out if you get a chance
Thanks, I will!