Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Default kid’s 22 lr

Thinking about getting my 8 year old son his own 22, he has been using my old Savage 3B but it is way to big for him.

Couple thing weight and length need to be sized for a 8 year old, and I would like a single shot for safety reasons.

The Thompson Center Hot Shot would have been perfect but is no longer made.

I looked at the savage rascal and was not impressed, my expectation may have been to high. I think the stock shape turned me off.

Any recommendations or has anyone seen a TC hot shot on a used gun rack.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM

Have you looked at the CZ Scout? I believe you can get an adapter to make it single shot. I am a big fan of CZ rimfires.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-scout/

Last edited by Parker Hale; 12-11-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-11-2018, 06:31 PM

If you can find a hot shot get it.. There's no way I'll ever get rid of mine. By far best kids 22 out there. My 9 year old is also shooting my savage prone w bipod with no difficulties.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM

The Cricket is a good starting point for a child.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 PM

I did a old cooey model 39, then cut to fit.

Or do as I did and make a father son project out of making a new stock!

V

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=220177
Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM

I would reconsider the rascal for weight and size.

The problem with youth rifles is they outgrow them so a lot don't want to spend the $$ on something with higher quality.

Rascal is light weight. Has a good trigger and short stock.

Look at it as a higher quality pellet gun. I had tons of fun with a 100.00$ Canadian tire pellet gun that probably only shot 400 fps with an awful heavy trigger and marginal accuracry. As a kid you don't know any better anyways and it's still a blast.

Henry mini bolt maybe

Last edited by Jerry D; 12-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I would reconsider the rascal for weight and size.

The problem with youth rifles is they outgrow them so a lot don't want to spend the $$ on something with higher quality.

Rascal is light weight. Has a good trigger and short stock.

Look at it as a higher quality pellet gun. I had tons of fun with a 100.00$ Canadian tire pellet gun that probably only shot 400 fps with an awful heavy trigger and marginal accuracry. As a kid you don't know any better anyways and it's still a blast.
Agree but the hot shot comes with spacers that allow length of pull to grow with the child. It comes.with fantastic peep sights and is accurate. Because of it's size it's my favorite dispatch gun on the line as well as a easy carry chicken rifle for adults. My 5 year old can shoot it off a rest and there's still lots of spacers to add once my 9 y old out grows it.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Have you looked at the CZ Scout? I believe you can get an adapter to make it single shot. I am a big fan of CZ rimfires.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-scout/

Another option is the CZ 455 Camp

https://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malo...amp-rifle.html

It is a sweet gun for a kid. Adjustable spacers for length of pull, peep sight mounted on back of receiver, and comes with the single shot mag (can buy a regular 455 mag at a later date).

Handled one at Proline Shooters in Calgary. It is CZ Europe model, but is carried in Canada.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:40 AM

I think it depends on the kid mostly, but if he's a small 8 year old..I'd echo the Savage Rascal suggestion. They're available with a wood stock, but I think there is even a heavy barrel "Tactical" version that might bridge the gap. (size and interest) https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...scal-target-xp As small as the (normal) Rascal is, I found the TC actually way TOO small, even for a kid..but my opinion only.

As far as the Cooeys go, yes, a model 39 would be an OK choice. My own kids never warmed-up to my 39s (had 2 of them over the years). Loading was fussy but manageable, cocking effort unnecessarily heavy and difficult for young kids, neither gun ejected reliably and yes...they were kept perfectly clean, and I tried over a dozen types of ammo in them. I've never liked the Crickett rifles as much as the Rascals..but either would be good.

The CZ 452 Scout idea is solid for sure, probably fit most 8 year olds perfectly...and even as a 6'1" adult, I can shoot a Scout with no issues.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 AM

When my boy turned 7 I bought him a single shot savage cub. Great little gun. I still remember him shooting his first grouse with it. On the bench it shoots dime size groups.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Savage rascal is absolute garbage.

Mossberg plinkster if you want it to size or Savage a22--if you want him to grow into it.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM

When our kids were small I put a Tapco tactical type stock on the 10/22. The pistol grip is close to the trigger, great for small hands, and the butt is adjustable. Only problem is now the kids think every rifle should have one.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:51 PM

I got my boy a marlin xtr compact . Single shot bolt accurate and best part i can still shoot it
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 PM

The CZ Scout that Parkerhale mentioned and it does come with the 1 round magazine.
Excellent CZ 455 for a kid. Top notch first rifle IMO.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 PM

My daughter is 10 and quite petite. I got her a henry minibolt and it is perfect for her. It's small and lightweight and very accurate. It might be a good choice for you too.

Norm
Old 12-12-2018, 10:17 PM

I have a hot shot for my 6 and 8 yr old, I'm happy with it. If I hadn't found one I probably would have went with a Savags rascal
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
My daughter is 10 and quite petite. I got her a henry minibolt and it is perfect for her. It's small and lightweight and very accurate. It might be a good choice for you too.

Norm
Both my kids started with the henry minibolt. Good little gun.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The CZ Scout that Parkerhale mentioned and it does come with the 1 round magazine.
Excellent CZ 455 for a kid. Top notch first rifle IMO.
Another plus to the CZ, the action is a full size 455 action so as the kid groes you can change out the stock very easily.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 AM

I bought a savage model 2g for a 9 year old I was teaching to shoot, he was a smaller kid and it worked out great, I just made him load singles instead of the entire clip.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Henry crickett are not to bad for smaller kids,they shoot pretty good also
Old 12-13-2018, 01:18 PM

The cz scout is the best option I think. I had the 452 version and it was superb and comfortable to shoot even as an adult. But if you get the 455 version you can change the barrel later and still enjoy the lighter stock.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 AM

I’ll throw out a few different options. I have three .22s that my kids like to shoot.

The first is a small FN single shot that I got for my son at the Calgary gun show a few years ago. It’s old, it’s been redone, it’s accurate, and best of all it’s small and simple. It’s worth looking around for a good used single shot at these shows.

The second is my Chiappa Little Badger. Single shot, break action. I got it for plinking grouse while big game hunting, but it’s a pretty good cheap unit that has an adult application as well. The peep sites are a little weak on it so I’m considering putting a simple red dot on it.

The third is a bit more suited to a shooter with a bit more experience. I have a Henry Mares Leg that I put a standard carbine stock on, ending up with a shorter lever that provides good cheek weld. The downside of this rig for kids is the tubular magazine. I prefer single shots and detachable mags for new shooters as it’s easier to clear the rifle. This is the most expensive option of the three as well.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 AM

2 of my kids have the Henry mini bolt. By far nicer than the savage. Another option is the peep site chipmunk. Good luck with your choice.