Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
New Alberta Record Pike??

Default New Alberta Record Pike??

Is it true has it been broken? Heard one close to 40lbs was caught in one of the Southern Alberta Resevoirs. Myself had a crappy fishing weekend. Ended up with enough for supper though. Caught one 12lb pike on Badger and one around 70cm for supper.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
jrs

Haven't heard that rumor yet. Would be cool. I'm expecting one over 40lbs to come out of Chin someday. I haven't seen one over 35lb caught in 3 years now. I was out at CPR as i figured i'd try the non-winter kill side. Water very smelly and shallow, didn't get any bites. I want to head for trout this week. Good to hear badger gave up a few fish.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
staytuned

Have not heard that rumor yet & I ice fish for pike a lot. The guy fishing beside me this weekend got a 32.5 pounder this past weekend though. Wow what a gator!!! 46" long & really, really fat.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 PM
re

Default re

Yeah Badger was okay. Quite a few people around, but still not the action I like to have at badger (not complaining). Maybe my source heard wrong about the big pike but we'll see in the next few days.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 PM
musky xl

Default Re: re

that rumour is started every single year...last year it was distributed with a picture...the guy from holland (i believe).:\

can anyone explain why we still quantify records by the weight and not the length of fish?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
gonefishin

Just becasue a fish is lengthy, doesn't mean it has any weight to it. Early last summer I caught a spawned out pike that was 36" long, and although I didn't have a scale with me, I would guarentee that fish didn't weigh more than 7 or 8 pounds.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
re

Default re

I heard a huge one got pulled out of Twin Coulee Res. 39.5 lbs.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
musky xl

thats exactly my point...weight can fluctuate greatly over the course of a year, depending on the spawn, if they are fatting up for the winter, etc... to class fish by length versus weight just seems to make a bit more sense to me.

this is only compounded by the fact that we are encouraging catch and release...a pic with the fish lying beside a tape is hard to dispute.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 AM
jrs

"I heard a huge one got pulled out of Twin Coulee Res. 39.5 lbs."

Out of all the lakes in Alberta to set a new record that one would surprise me the most. Lots of decent pike but it doesn't seem to have the food supply (yet). Would be cool if it materialized.