Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
After a slow start to the season for me at Wab, today was a much needed booster.

Landed lots, and a few bigger girls.

3 between 11.5-12 pounds, a 13.5 and a 15. Much better than what I've been getting so far this year. Nice fat,healthy pike.

Confident the 20 is coming before seasons end.
Cool! Good luck with that.

In support of this, a friend of mine regularly fishes Wab in open water. I asked him today and he caught 7 fish over 40 inches last season and the biggest being 49 inches....

but, sadly according to Safety D, wab is dead
Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
How do you get one from several. Once again you make me laugh.

It's at stupid question. Since you don't seem to believe or understand it from me:

http://exc-adventures.com/what-do-northern-pike-eat/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6161905AAzycCV

http://bownarrows.blogspot.ca/2012/0...-pike-eat.html

http://www.happydaylodge.com/northernpike.htm

And, in support of the idea that it could be related to predators sharing the same food source, how about an abstract done closer to home:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...927.x/abstract

Do you have any more stupid questions you would like answered?
Did you read the one and only scientific paper you quoted? How many walleye were found in the pike? Did you find any other scientific papers relating to pike consumption of walleye?

Last edited by cube; 03-11-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:

In support of this, a friend of mine regularly fishes Wab in open water. I asked him today and he caught 7 fish over 40 inches last season and the biggest being 49 inches....

good to hear ...who knows why they are so elusive but hey ...it adds to the fun of tryin for a 20 pounder
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:

How many was he catching 4 and 5 years ago?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:36 AM

it could very well be that the bigger fish have eaten a hook one too many times and know better than to hit a dead bait..call it adapting possibly ...idk ...there could be so many reasons why the big girls are elusive
...bottom line tho if the fish are protected ... in a lake that size i bet theres some real monsters somewhere
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
it could very well be that the bigger fish have eaten a hook one too many times and know better than to hit a dead bait..call it adapting possibly ...idk ...there could be so many reasons why the big girls are elusive
...bottom line tho if the fish are protected ... in a lake that size i bet theres some real monsters somewhere
That's why I asked previously if the guys with camera's are seeing the same number of over 20 lb fish as before. I know that i'm not seeing them on my sonar like I used to. And no I don't just fish one spot on the lake either.

I know that recently I have been catching some very skinny abnormal pike from wab. Large head and VERY skinny.

Another thing that I do know is that when you manage a lake for walleye, like just about all the other lakes around here, the pike, perch and other species sure suffer. I also know that until very recently SRD does not step in to protect those other species just the walleye and trout.

I have looked though the FWIN reports and at the moment cannot think of a single case where as the walleye population went up the pike population did not go down drastically.

Hence why I thought they should have left Wab alone.

Last edited by cube; 03-12-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Glad to hear some of you had recent luck at Wab. I was going to take back what I said about it being good and agree with the OP that it is dead! Went out yesterday (took a day off for my brother's bday) and didn't see much at all. Got extremely lucky to catch the only white I saw from my hole (along with a few jacks, just enough to wreck my whitefish lures and camera), then went to my brother's tent where he had a circling whitey that didn't bite; despite hanging out in the area for 3 hours.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Did you read the one and only scientific paper you quoted? How many walleye were found in the pike? Did you find any other scientific papers relating to pike consumption of walleye?

You have fingers right? Do your own work. Maybe you will learn something but I doubt it.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
How many was he catching 4 and 5 years ago?

You still here?

About the same. We discussed it changing from year to year. One better, one not. He considers last year better than average. I know he never fished the warm water discharge which surprised me.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
That's why I asked previously if the guys with camera's are seeing the same number of over 20 lb fish as before. I know that i'm not seeing them on my sonar like I used to. And no I don't just fish one spot on the lake either.

I know that recently I have been catching some very skinny abnormal pike from wab. Large head and VERY skinny.

Another thing that I do know is that when you manage a lake for walleye, like just about all the other lakes around here, the pike, perch and other species sure suffer. I also know that until very recently SRD does not step in to protect those other species just the walleye and trout.

I have looked though the FWIN reports and at the moment cannot think of a single case where as the walleye population went up the pike population did not go down drastically.

Hence why I thought they should have left Wab alone.

So we both agree....they should leave it alone.

Why then with all the dumb questions about pike eating walleye? Take it back a step further - big fish eat smaller fish - period. It's called the food chain.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:55 PM

I'm going out Sunday and i will guarentee my group catches atleast 4 pike over 10lbs. And two will be over 15lbs. Maybe the lake is just dead where some others fish because their too lazy to find them .
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
I'm going out Sunday and i will guarentee my group catches atleast 4 pike over 10lbs. And two will be over 15lbs. Maybe the lake is just dead where some others fish because their too lazy to find them .
Can't wait for the pics... We love pics!!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Do your own work. Maybe you will learn something but I doubt it.
Oh but I have.

That's why I thought I'd give you the opportunity to learn something by looking those scientific papers up and not the, how did you put it, internet BS. You appear to speak allot with great confidence so much so that you feel you have the right to laugh at, reticule and belittle people but I truly feel if you would actually look up some of the stuff you might be more tolerant of people’s opinions, at least until you looked them up.

Yes I would say we probably agree on the vast majority of things fishing as well.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
While I am not saying the lake is dead what you stated above was an easy afternoon for 1 person just a couple of years a go.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You still here?

About the same. We discussed it changing from year to year. One better, one not. He considers last year better than average. I know he never fished the warm water discharge which surprised me.
Thanks for the info.

The problem with fishing and fishermen is that we learn and adapt and can bring extra tools and better lures into play, hence, keep our catch rate high even with dramatically falling fish stocks. This is especially true of structure holding fish. The fish will always move into the preferred structure areas from less preferred areas so we will not readily notice the decline until a major shift has already happened. This is why I have not agreed with those that say we should say and do nothing until we have a couple of back to back bad years because by that time you have a very big problem that will take a very long time to recover from.

Last edited by cube; 03-13-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Oh but I have.

That's why I thought I'd give you the opportunity to learn something by looking those scientific papers up and not the, how did you put it, internet BS. You appear to speak allot with great confidence so much so that you feel you have the right to laugh at, reticule and belittle people but I truly feel if you would actually look up some of the stuff you might be more tolerant of people’s opinions, at least until you looked them up.

Yes I would say we probably agree on the vast majority of things fishing as well.
LOL! research...
Grabbed the top 5 I found. Cut/paste and it proved the point. Now you have nothing to stand so are grasping at "That is what I planned all along...". Wow, what a devious person you are....
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

The problem with fishing and fishermen is that we learn and adapt and can bring extra tools and better lures into play, hence, keep our catch rate high even with dramatically falling fish stocks. This is especially true of structure holding fish. The fish will always move into the preferred structure areas from less preferred areas so we will not readily notice the decline until a major shift has already happened. This is why I have not agreed with those that say we should say and do nothing until we have a couple of back to back bad years because by that time you have a very big problem that will take a very long time to recover from.
So when you boil down all of your posts, you can't catch pike no matter what lure you try. My advice to you, keep trying...eventually you will catch one. Best of luck!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
How did you make out?