Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Default Arctic Grayling techniques?

Heading up to Winefred lake in a couple weeks and am going to try fishing for arctic grayling which is new to me. Is it too early for flyfishing or would a spinning rod work better? Either way, what flies or lures should I try? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM

I am not a fly fisherman (yet!) and I have always had luck with a lot of the same stuff I would use for Trout. Small Panther Martins, Kast Masters and tiny spoons.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM

From my fishing days in the Yukon, Grayling love flies and smaller spinners like Panther Martins(yellow, red, neon green). I've had more luck using flies in the red, pink, yellow, blue and white variety(pink and white worked the best). But they might like different stuff here.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
sheephunter

I think you'll have a tough time finding grayling on Winefred. I understand they can be found in a couple of the rivers but it's also my understanding that you need to hike a fair distance from the lake. The rivers flowing in and out are quite small so if you do get lucky and find some, flies will likely be your best option. If they won't take a dry, give a small black wet fly a try. Apparently one of the rivers that the road crosses also has grayling but I've never seen any in it. Hope you have some luck!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 AM

The May River west of Conklin has some grayling in it. It has been some time since I have fished for grayling, but we would walk north into the river from the LLB winter road. Where the May and Christina joined, we seemed to have the best luck. We had varying degrees of success over the summers, depending on the day. The grayling were by no means large, but made for a good scrap on the end of ultralite gear.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

I don't know what the rivers are like coming in/out of Winnefred, but if I am going to a new place that may or may not hold grayling, I look for moving water. Small rapids, riffles, ripples.....anywhere that the water is 'flowing'. Grayling seem to love 'moving' water. Whichever gear you decide to use (fly or spinning) , cast upstream. If you are using small spinners or spoons, let the lure drift downstream thru the moving water while you retrieve the lure. If you are using flies, cast upstream and drift the fly over the rapids. Don't even bother stripping. Grayling will sit (hold) behind any obstacle that is altering the flow of water. This could be a rock, boulder, tree, etc. The biggest grayling will claim the best spots. Start your cast upstream and drift the lure/fly over or thru this obstacle. The grayling will be holding behind the obsticle waiting for a meal to come to them. Hope this helps, best of luck! Keep us posted, take pics!