Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Default spray lake skunk report

Hi all,
The past few days up at Spray were horrid. Millions of moths hatched and kept the fish full. I only had a few bites and tried everything in my tackle box (no bait, no downrigger though). In talking to others they also said it was unusually dead. The wind up there this year seems to be at its worst too.
Good luck to anyone headed that way!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

spray sucked!!!! worst weekend on the water ever!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 AM

Was on Spray on Sat with my Dad. We did very well, I think. I landed 10 Lakers, biggest being 19" ( typical small stuff, but great fighters). Lost a handful at the boat. Dad managed to land one. Using the same equipment but just couldn't get them to bite for him. Got on the water by 8:30am and off by 1:30. Brought home my three for super. It's funny that they even bit at all. Their stomachs were packed full (very small bugs, flies, maybe all those moths Nevercatchmuch mentioned). Wind did pick up as usual, which keeps fishing days short up there. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM

great to hear!
were you using a downrigger? I wasn't....no fish finder either. lol. might be time to invest in more technology
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Sorry, worked late and didn't get a chance to put on the pics. No down riggers. In the am, 4oz of weight, 3-4' fluorocarbon leader, 3" spoon and at least 150ft of line. Got us down around 30ft. Around 11am we were still at 4oz, but 300 ft of line, which we know were down 40-50 (bumped bottom going over shelf's), depending on troll speed. Didn't sit and jig at all, we kept hitting fish all day trolling. Hope you get a few next time.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Finally! Nevercatchmuch, Here's a few pics from Last Sat Aug 21.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

i saw you guys out there.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

are you allowed motors in spray ??
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefisher11 View Post
are you allowed motors in spray ??
i wouldnt reccomend going on it if you dont have one
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

i do thats why i was asking. for some reason i got it in my head you werent allowed so i never made it up there with the boat. but now that i know i am able to put the boat in there i might have to give it a go soon.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir pikealott View Post
Sorry, worked late and didn't get a chance to put on the pics. No down riggers. In the am, 4oz of weight, 3-4' fluorocarbon leader, 3" spoon and at least 150ft of line. Got us down around 30ft. Around 11am we were still at 4oz, but 300 ft of line, which we know were down 40-50 (bumped bottom going over shelf's), depending on troll speed. Didn't sit and jig at all, we kept hitting fish all day trolling. Hope you get a few next time.
I use this technique all the time up north. Haven't had time to get out to spray yet this year and try, good to know you had luck. We are trying to go one of these weekends, but who knows. How fast? 1.5 mph?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM

Nicemustang, Just got back from camping. I would say on average we were doing 1.7 to 2MPH. Keep changing the speed a bit here and there. And Zig Zag often, got a lot of hits on the drop and when the lure sped up. I really didn't know how to fish for the Lakers (we used pickerel gigs and smelt when I was a kid there) up until a couple years ago. Started doing a lot of internet research and learned some techniques if you don't have down riggers. They have been working great! Love the internet!

Tags
spray lake