Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I think it has to do with the severity of the crime. I don't think that they will seize your Truck and Quad for having a barbed hook.
This is absolutely true.

In this country we try to have a punishment that fits the crime.

Having a barbed hook is $105 (per point) in BC.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Seriously?
No,not seriously. You only quoted part of my statement.

It was a joke about BGSH who stated on this forum that he would throw people and their gear in the river for poaching.

My statement above the one you chose to quote has me suggesting that people not get into confrontation with people over tip ups.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 AM

This like saying Drunk Driving is only a offence or a illegal act till the drunk kills someone.

Any angling device over the allowable limit is illegal, wether that person is catching fish or not.

Dont confront.....call RAP, even if they cant respond asap it will be recorded and if enough reports come in becomes a hotspot on their radar.

If you can safely collect details great, if it puts you in danger, all you can do is report what you can. No one can ask anymore of you.

Attend as many regional Fisheries meetings as possible and explain your experiences. I can tell you from experience it does make a difference.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

Cool

I have no problem with any angler or sports man that rectifys a minor infraction even as far as ,bait in closed water, honest mistake.desperation. even if told mind my own business that would I would simply pass on my displeasure at their disregard for our resources.it is the complete disrespect for others, the wild life and just being ignorant with intent.this makes me see red, (an affliction of us scots)this helps me grow as a person by not reacting on instinct or anger at defiance.I far prefer ot educated than instigate.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
This like saying Drunk Driving is only a offence or a illegal act till the drunk kills someone.

Any angling device over the allowable limit is illegal, wether that person is catching fish or not.

Dont confront.....call RAP, even if they cant respond asap it will be recorded and if enough reports come in becomes a hotspot on their radar.

If you can safely collect details great, if it puts you in danger, all you can do is report what you can. No one can ask anymore of you.

Attend as many regional Fisheries meetings as possible and explain your experiences. I can tell you from experience it does make a difference.
You are taking someones suggestion to an illogical extreme in order to discredit it.

Not all laws are equal just because they are laws.

Just like all infractions are not equal just because they are infractions.

Save your RAP calls for things that warrant them. We all know resources are stretched thin and calling in people for barbed hooks and extra tip-ups is a waste of their time. The fines if any will be less, far less, than the resources required to follow up on the call.

You see someone with a bucket of fish over the limit, call in the heavies.

A lot of people don't know all 432,887,999 reg's by heart and it's pretty easy to make friends with them, and then mention in casual conversation they have an extra tip-up which is a $400 fine and you saw fish cops earlier....

Or you know, you could give them the pounding they deserve, break their gear, and slash their tires, cause, you know, they deserve it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 AM

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is only a CO can determine the angling history of a suspect.

Sure you can be nice and explain the rules and he thanks you for being such a great guy. The whole time he is thinking " what a sucker glad he didnt call the fish cops, cuz they have me on record for doing this previously"

Many times after calling RAP a CO will call you and pretty much ID the suspects you reported just by the Lic. plate you report on his way to the scene.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
You are taking someones suggestion to an illogical extreme in order to discredit it.

Not all laws are equal just because they are laws.

Just like all infractions are not equal just because they are infractions.

Save your RAP calls for things that warrant them. We all know resources are stretched thin and calling in people for barbed hooks and extra tip-ups is a waste of their time. The fines if any will be less, far less, than the resources required to follow up on the call.

You see someone with a bucket of fish over the limit, call in the heavies.

A lot of people don't know all 432,887,999 reg's by heart and it's pretty easy to make friends with them, and then mention in casual conversation they have an extra tip-up which is a $400 fine and you saw fish cops earlier....

Or you know, you could give them the pounding they deserve, break their gear, and slash their tires, cause, you know, they deserve it.

I'll see you at the next regional meeting or round table and you can explain your theory to the Conservation Officers how you have a new plan to have anglers be judge and jury of whats right and wrong.
I'll just stick to the basics and if the book says illegal, its illegal to me.
When the RAP instructions say please dont waste our time use your own theories of angling ethics and fish conservation above the regulation book.....then i guess i will try that method.
No where have i said violence is the answer.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

So, if someone is using a third line ice fishing, what punishment does everyone think they deserve.

First offense- warning
Previous offender or warning- $300
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'll see you at the next regional meeting or round table and you can explain your theory to the Conservation Officers how you have a new plan to have anglers be judge and jury of whats right and wrong.
I'll just stick to the basics and if the book says illegal, its illegal to me.
When the RAP instructions say please dont waste our time use your own theories of angling ethics and fish conservation above the regulation book.....then i guess i will try that method.
No where have i said violence is the answer.
Only my first 3 sentences were intended for you.

I'm sure you never speed or have any other infraction in life.

Perhaps if you pass me on the road I should call in your plate or report you to the nearest block parent to inform the community. Because you are intentionally breaking a law.

Not all infractions are equal. I can't understand how this is not clear. This is why different infractions have different penalties.

Haha, "have anglers be judge and jury", I was suggesting the opposite.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Only my first 3 sentences were intended for you.

I'm sure you never speed or have any other infraction in life.

havent had a speeding ticket in 24 years...if i get one tomorrow, i expect a ticket. i pay it and am accountable for my mistake

Perhaps if you pass me on the road I should call in your plate or report you to the nearest block parent to inform the community. Because you are intentionally breaking a law.

Not all infractions are equal. I can't understand how this is not clear. This is why different infractions have different penalties.

Haha, "have anglers be judge and jury", I was suggesting the opposite.
The regulations booklet clearly defines the amount of lines one is permitted to use.......You on the other hand are deciding what is a reportable offence contrary to what the Book says and what RAP asks us to do. My point is made. We wont agree and thats fine
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
The regulations booklet clearly defines the amount of lines one is permitted to use.......You on the other hand are deciding what is a reportable offence contrary to what the Book says and what RAP asks us to do. My point is made. We wont agree and thats fine
Well, I've chosen to follow the commandments in the good Book, but I don't feel the need to crucify others who do not know every chapter and verse.

In fact Page 2, 2:7 from the good Book states:

Anglers have a duty to address illegal activities in a safe manner. Angler’s actions could range from alerting others to closed waters or wrong size or species being kept to reporting all observed violations of angling regulations to the Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. It is important to collect pertinent information (such as vehicle licence numbers, violator descriptions, etc.) that will assist enforcement actions.

This is case in point why we should use good judgement and respect when dealing with people that may be in violation of the commandments, because even someone as studied in the good word as Chubb can be mistaken.

It says in the good Book, clear as day, that we have a choice regarding the action we take with respect to violations of our 96pg's of commandments that we bare witness to.

How long have you been misinterpreting the Book for?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Well, I've chosen to follow the commandments in the good Book, but I don't feel the need to crucify others who do not know every chapter and verse.

In fact Page 2, 2:7 from the good Book states:

Anglers have a duty to address illegal activities in a safe manner. Angler’s actions could range from alerting others to closed waters or wrong size or species being kept to reporting all observed violations of angling regulations to the Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. It is important to collect pertinent information (such as vehicle licence numbers, violator descriptions, etc.) that will assist enforcement actions.

This is case in point why we should use good judgement and respect when dealing with people that may be in violation of the commandments, because even someone as studied in the good word as Chubb can be mistaken.

It says in the good Book, clear as day, that we have a choice regarding the action we take with respect to violations of our 96pg's of commandments that we bare witness to.

How long have you been misinterpreting the Book for?
Bee guy...yes your right your always right . Your the greatest Bio in the world and the mostest smartest guy we all have ever met. Your like the GN species, much greater than the 2n or 3n. G standing for Great.

If you dont understand why its important that a suspects history is looked up.......well then i understand how sweet talk will free the world of all criminals.

Ive got better things to do than argue with you. Good talking to you.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
You are out fishing and someone is using more than two lines ice fishing. Do you just walk away or do you say something. For the last 5 years I have been saying something when I see that there is rules being broken. Most of the time people do not know that they are doing anything wrong. This weekend I watched two guys with up to six lines in the water. I thought maybe they did not know, and would just tell them that there is rules regarding the amount of lines they could use when ice fishing. Did they ever get mad, and said that fishing was slow and they were not hurting anyone and leave them alone. I know that this should be dealt with by the game wardens and not me, but I`m getting sick and tired of seeing everything from closed stream fishing during the spring and over limits of fish. I`m not really into phoning everytime I see something, as this would be another job I do not need. I have fished for close to 40 years and if we do not starting making some changes I feel bad for my grandson. I hope that more people will speak up and maybe there will be some hope for the future.
I would report them, comfront them. I care deeply about the future of fishing in Alberta. Morons such as have no place.

Nice
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Don't always need to be so confrontational

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I feel your frustration. I fish below dickson dam, a water closed to most bait.yet repeatedly i find people breaking the rules. I am not perfect I have had a ticket for an improper barb not pinched down correctly.fair enough. however when I approach someone for a bait infraction on an obviously closed water, I expect an oops my bad ,not f#*£o** its not your river.well they picked the wrong guy to get necky with ,I informed him he had two choices my friend had no problem calling rap. I on the other hand believed that this was my river and would gladly share an lesson in etiquette, good manners, and a good old application of a glasgow kiss. he chose to leave.
his information was passed on to the powers that be.I have had this issue on more than one occasion.seems people that feel our rivers are to be abused dont like the school of hard knocks. to which I have a degree in teaching.iam not recommending people take matters in to there own hands but do recommend they call rap.some one has to stick up for the fish.
Hey Fish Gunner, I hope you never run into someone who "knows" the regs better than you, and thinks they are standing up for themselves, with the end result being you charged with assault!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

Cool

I dont mind some one knowing the regs as they see them ,if they say oops my bad sorry and comply with the regs,as I stated on the post, mind my own business is no big deal.however when a fellow is kindly informed of the regs,whilst fishing a walleye rig baited with 2 minnows on a water closed to bait replied.f***o** its not my river I take offence.I am neither tough or rude.what I am is respectful and trained.
there is a big difference.as some one has as there header if you find your self in a fair fight your tactics suck.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 AM
pelada trochu

thumbs up to Chub your clear headed thinking is valued and appreciated
thumbs up to fish gunner, we need people who will stand up for whats right (not just recognize it).

i have personally met the CO once, i saw others fishing an area and thought it was open and it wasnt closed another week. he corrected me and there was no fine (was with my 7 year old at the time). the point to take here is not that the co broke his own rules but that he corrected me and i listened (problem solved, fine not necessary). this is different than seeing a guy you can tell doesnt care about the rules.

i did notice that he carried a gun, was trained to use it and i had no doubt that he would and that he must have a reason to carry it. makes you think.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

My concept is the one presented in the regulations manual.

If someone is committing a minor infraction through ignorance or neglect, I will mention it in a non-confrontational manner.

If someone is taking fish which they are not permitted to, it is another matter.

The difficult part about hitting rap speed dial on your phone every time you spot someone with a barbed hook, is that, the reg's are numerous and as evidenced above, even Chub can get them wrong or mis-interpret them.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post

i have personally met the CO once, i saw others fishing an area and thought it was open and it wasnt closed another week. he corrected me and there was no fine (was with my 7 year old at the time). the point to take here is not that the co broke his own rules but that he corrected me and i listened (problem solved, fine not necessary). this is different than seeing a guy you can tell doesnt care about the rules.
Absolutely. The CO used his judgement, and so should we.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 AM
pelada trochu

Quote:
So, if someone is using a third line ice fishing, what punishment does everyone think they deserve.

First offense- warning
Previous offender or warning- $300
you asked.

they deserve from nothing up to the maximum the regs allow.

it can seem unfair but you have a responsibility to know the rules and how to operate a car before you drive. they think its so important they actually make you prove it before they license you. at least with fishing they dont make us write a test. but it doesnt remove your responsibilities. so its always going to be your fault.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Banned

Cool

no worrys PT to many wishy washy types in the world.as they say in forces, we walk the line so others dont have to.I am not condoning confrontation. it is my way to educate not instigate, I am very good at both.from my point of veiw the lower red is rife with poachers. the co's cant keep up.from what I read we wont be seeing more any time soon.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
pelada trochu

maybe fish licenses are too cheap?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
you asked.

they deserve from nothing up to the maximum the regs allow.

it can seem unfair but you have a responsibility to know the rules and how to operate a car before you drive. they think its so important they actually make you prove it before they license you. at least with fishing they dont make us write a test. but it doesnt remove your responsibilities. so its always going to be your fault.
Do you think you deserved a fine for fishing in a fish sanctuary?

If so, how much?

I would suggest that the warning was sufficient.

I agree it should vary from nothing to some maximum. I wish we would see larger fines for pollution in water ways.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Do you think you deserved a fine for fishing in a fish sanctuary?

If so, how much?

I would suggest that the warning was sufficient.

I agree it should vary from nothing to some maximum. I wish we would see larger fines for pollution in water ways.
see now I believe there should be an fund based on pollution to water ways on top of fines,rehabilitation,restoration.just like the glass ware store you break it you buy it.lol
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
see now I believe there should be an fund based on pollution to water ways on top of fines,rehabilitation,restoration.just like the glass ware store you break it you buy it.lol
not sure what you mean there
Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 AM

Back to the original question... if it bothers/annoys you, call it in and let the fish-cops deal with it. Then get back to fishing and enjoy your day. I don't go fishing to confront other people and ruin my day, so if you encounter someone doing something against the rules that bothers you, call it in and let the authorities handle it.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

Cool

if an industrial accident spills pollutants in to a watershed I feel the party at fault needs to be a.fined b.pay for restoration.c. for rehabilitation ongoing improvement and stabilization.and contribute to the gunners fund for fish.a fund to improve albertas overall fishery, eg CO's stocking programs,airation.and habitat restoration for the whole province. land based spills would follow a similar idea eg.parks wild life projects.I dream big.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
if an industrial accident spills pollutants in to a watershed I feel the party at fault needs to be a.fined b.pay for restoration.c. for rehabilitation ongoing improvement and stabilization.and contribute to the gunners fund for fish.a fund to improve albertas overall fishery, eg CO's stocking programs,airation.and habitat restoration for the whole province. land based spills would follow a similar idea eg.parks wild life projects.I dream big.
That idea of some money being taken and placed into a fund exists, but it might be federal, I can't quite remember.

Almost applied for some funding from it many years ago, but I believe they are very local/regional in scope and they are project/site specific as opposed to a single pool of funds.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Back to the original question... if it bothers/annoys you, call it in and let the fish-cops deal with it. Then get back to fishing and enjoy your day. I don't go fishing to confront other people and ruin my day, so if you encounter someone doing something against the rules that bothers you, call it in and let the authorities handle it.
there for removing you from any responsibility or involvment,im sorry we need more folks involved. that is the problem to day.not my problem. I may be one of the few but I make it my problem.not being rude.not being aggressive.just not on my watch.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
That idea of some money being taken and placed into a fund exists, but it might be federal, I can't quite remember.

Almost applied for some funding from it many years ago, but I believe they are very local/regional in scope and they are project/site specific as opposed to a single pool of funds.
well I guess. in my mind each province needs their own fund.AB most of all.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
well I guess. in my mind each province needs their own fund.AB most of all.
ya, like i said i cant recall which level of government manages it.