Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Default long list

As others have said:

1). anchor - lost to loose knots
2). cell phone, years ago (dried it out and still worked)
3). Current cell phone (still works fine).
3). Float tube fin
4). lose a fly box full of chironomids to the depths due to an unzippered pocket, prolly $30 for the box and over $200 to replace all the chironomids.
5). return to same lake a few weeks later where I lost the box with a new chironomid box, and yup, you guessed it, lose the NEW chironomid fly box due to an unzippered pocket . Another $230 down the drain.
6). Lost fly reel (in the same lake as above)
7). Brother also lost a fly reel (in the same lake as above)
8). Forecepts
9). Long handled net
10. Not me, but daugher dropper her Barbie Princess rod in a different lake, and wanted to get a submarine and divers to go get it.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM

A 9.9 evinrude !!! We were coming back in in some really rough water with gale force winds and a following sea. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a flash of movement and it took me a second to realize it was my kickers gas tank moving to the back of the boat . The gas line let go when the tank got hung up on the transom and all I could do was wave good bye to it
Somewhere in their I think their is a lesson or two .
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM

I'm getting a brainstorm....

I'll volunteer to do 'stuff' recovery for free for people provided they pay for my gear rentals. (Roughly $50.00 for drysuit and tanks) This would be a win-win. I get to do a bit of diving, and people will get thier stuff back.

I'm in Calgary and would be willing to do evening dives and the odd weekend dive within a few hours of town.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Worst thing i dropped was my canoe. With me in it.

I was a kid, fishing in a small pond down the road from our farm.

I had saved up for a long time, and bought an old ratty canoe at an ASRD auction. It was rough and half rotten, but it was mine, and it floated.

I didnt have an anchor for it, so i tied a few bricks together and had a makeshift anchor.

I was sitting in the middle of the pond one afternoon, and decided it was time to head in. I pulled up the anchor, and as i brought it over the gunwale, the rope slipped in my hand and my 20 pound anchor fell to the floor.

Worst part was the anchor went right through the floor.

It doesnt take long to sink a canoe, fishing rods, tackle and a dog when there is a 18" hole in the heavy end of a canoe.

The dog and i were fine, but the tackle and rods was a loss.

We rescued the canoe a week later with another boat and a long rope. Fixed the bottom and off we went again.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM

ME

My GF wanted to get her pup to try swiming at the lake but would not go in any deeper than her belly. I had a great idea and got her on the neighbor's dock. A gentle shove and in she went and started to head for shore. I took one more step and it would seem they had not finished bolting down the 4x4 dock sections. I step on the outer edge and it flipped sending ME for a swim. I was full dressed including my jacket.

So would that be 2 things I dropped in the lake, me & the dog. Also can dogs laugh cause I swear her mutt was standing on the shore giggling.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

a brand new Pflueger president XT spinning reel :,(
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Unfortunately from last night I can add my cell phone to the list…
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM

I lost a walkman while icefishing I know I'm old. However I managed to snag the headphones and pull it to the top of the hole and the darn headphones released and I never seen them again. It probably would have still worked no chips in those days.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Seen a few lettermans go overboard. My one year old once grabbed my multitool and threw it over board. He was so cute in how he did it all I could do is laugh as I scolded my boy. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 PM

My brother's brand new Abu Garcia BlackMax combo.....
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 AM

June, 2010: My buddy, Randy & I left Edmonton @ 2:45am; we really wanted to get 2 full days on Maligne Lake. A quick stop in Hinton for a hearty breakfast, & we were in the parking lot @ Maligne shortly after 7am. A couple of Randy's fishing buddies were already there, inflating there Zodiacs. After we got the canoe in the lake, Randy brought the truck & trailer back up to the lot. One of his buddies asked him if he could put his Zodiac on Randy's trailer to carry it from the lot to the launch, rather than dragging it. Being the nice guy that he is, Randy handed him his keys & said, "Give 'em back to me later; but, be careful, that's my only set of keys!" (Can ya see where this story is heading?)
Fast forward a couple hours & a bunch of trout; we cross paths with Cory (not his real name) out on the lake. Randy & I reel up our lines & head towards Cory's boat. He sees us coming & hollers, "I'll get your keys back to ya now, Randy."
Randy plans to pull up alongside & have his keys handed to him; Cory has other ideas. Neither he nor his buddy reel up, and as he gets closer, he says,"I'll slow down & toss your keys to ya, Randy..."
Randy:"Don't f***n' throw 'em!!!"
Cory:"I'll just toss 'em in the canoe..."

I can still see it, in slow motion- the keys tumbling end over end through the air, just out of Randy's reach. They hit the gunnel on the far side of the canoe, & for a split second I thought they might bounce into the bottom of the boat. Of course they didn't. They went into the 39 degree Fahrenheit waters of Maligne Lake. 30 feet of that water. Instinctively, Randy lunged after them, up to his shoulder. As quick as he went that way, I went the other. The gunnel on Randy's side went low enough to allow some water in; if I hadn't reacted, I'm 100% certain we would have taken a very chilly bath!
Cory:"Oh, no! I'm sorry, Randy..."
Randy didn't say a word; if you knew him, you'd realize how rare that his. After several minutes of silence, his first words to Cory were toting up the bill:"That was an expensive throw; 2 chip keys @ $140 apiece, an alarm remote, a couple more keys..."

He never shared this following info with Cory- at 2:45am, just as we were about to drive away from Randy's house, Randy said,"I guess I should go back in & grab my spare keys, y'know, just in case."
'Cuz ya never know, right? So, while his keys were sitting in 30 feet of icy cold water, his spare set was buttoned securely in my shirt pocket.
But, Cory didn't need to know that, did he?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM

MY EX-WIFE!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
pelada trochu

couple dudes in a bayliner were fishing the other day and obviously drinking.
dude one jams his fish pole in the vent out back and stands on the platform and starts ****ing away in front of me and another boat. seconds later he says oh **** my pole. i fish around them and then 10 minutes later dudes take off. i work my way back around where they were and continue casting for pike. i snag some fish line and feel drag on both ends and realize ive caught first dudes fish pole. Reel it up and tossed it to the nearest boat to me as i have enough poles already.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Fishing in a derby at long lake with my family and my 4 year old casts out and then proceeds to drop his rod in the water. Used the anchor to snag the line and recovered the rod.

Same trip we were putzing along at about 10 km/h and my dog decided to go overboard. She is a boxer with a barrel chest and is NOT a very good swimmer. Managed to throw it in reverse and pull her back aboard. Still to this day have no idea what made her decide to jump as she knew she didnt like to swim!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Dropped my 12 year old Daughter in the water while trying to get her on
a knee board .

gott'r back though.....

not sure if that counts....
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Not sure if this counts, never the less it was all but funny

Start of the new Striped Bass season back home,
Bought - New Rod -$160
New Reel - $120
Braided Line - $80
Hook set - $10
Frozen Bait - $ 25
Homemade rod holder - 2 hours and $10
Gas for the day - $50

Set up on the Bay of Fundy for a awesome day of fishing, (keepers are 26 3/4" long or bigger)
cast out, set up the lawn chair rod in holder, sit back..... and watch my rod and whole set up launch out of the rod holder and out to sea in about 3 seconds flat!

Wish I had landed him. Was a pretty sunset though, brought a tear to my eye!

Although, Mom went fishing, (first time) spent a whole day, and a fortune at BP, got out on the boat, she pulled back going to cast and let go of the rod and everything off the boat into the abyss.

another short day.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM

After a long day of ice fishing in a hut on Lake Erie many years ago, the hut operator came to pick us up and by that time you could clearly see thru the hut holes sitting on the bottom in 10 ft of water...a bottle opener, the jack of spades ( euchre game over) and buddy's watch. The hut owner just shook his head, grabbed a big magnet and quickly fished out the watch.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 PM

The biggest fish. The fish off the hook is always the biggest one.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Default Brand new Shimano ultralight rod and reel Reeser coulee

Fishing with the boys in the canoe at Reeser coulee. Laid rod across canoe to pick up paddle as getting blown into rocks by the wind. Ker plunk new set hit bottom. Trolled the area with treble hook daredevels for over and hour trying to snag the trailing line but no luck. Hope whoever found it enjoyed it as I had owned it for exactly 2 days when it went over board and missing in action.