Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM

If any senior can prove he/she cant afford it,and frankly there are some im sure,id like to think someone would pay it for them. I know i would and im a senior. Im in favour if and i say IF i knew money stayed in F&W but it wont!

My question earlier didnt get answered. Maybe ill phone and find out. Ive tried to search it on net but to no avail.
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if Win card gets lost or thrown out how one gets another if i have no record of the number. Im guessing i cant buy another one if they find out my old one has not expired yet. Anyone?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
If you think that charging seniors and kids is going to help with putting more money into the fishing Alberta man are you wrong.

All money goes to general revenue and fishing and hunting are far from the top...

That's not correct Gramps.

A licence levy goes directly to ACA. $4.2 million in 2011/12 from fishing licence sales.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
That's not correct Gramps.

A licence levy goes directly to ACA. $4.2 million in 2011/12 from fishing licence sales.
Beat me to it.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM

If your win has not expired you just have to get a replacement card.if it has expired they will give you a new one just go on albertarealm and buy one.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM

A fishing licence is only about $26 bucks. People that is for a year. 9 holes of golf can cost more. What does a movie cost these days(havent been for years)? Eat out for 13.00 x 2(burger and fries) and there is a cost of afishing licence. I mean its only 7 cents a day to fish all year. $26.00 a day for just one day of entertainment. $13.00 a day for 2 days, $3.71 a day for a week of fishing, 87 cents a day for 30 days of fishing.

To expensive, get real

Pretty much every town, city or village is close to a water body of some sort, or stocked pond. No cheaper entertainment than that.

edit- oh ya and if seniors(which I am approaching) pay about half than licence figures above should be halved as well!

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM

I could care less if i would have to get my kids a fishing license......im quite a few years away from being a senior though so it wouldnt be fair for me to comment on that regulation change. The only thing that i dont like is now Alberta is facing a deficit.......where do you think all that extra $ is really going to go......if this is real and does happen we will all be stuck with it but i call BS!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Default Where is this written

I have scoured the net and can find no place that mentions

A change for seniors..... Where is this printed and whom

Can you contact about this being true .

And if it is ....I see a "Pay no more " movement wait

Never say movement to an old guy... I, putting the ice

Cleats on my walkers as we speak...

Gust the following not allowed on here satire,sarcasism,any kind
Of sardonic comment , humour verboten , double entendre absolutely not.
No slurs except, about liberals......everything else fair game.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned

OMG!!!!!
Some of you are supporting paying more $$$$$...??????
Are u guys nutso???
I cant believe you would support old age people be gouged for more money!!!
Let em retire in comfort....it's been a long hard life battle I'm sure.
What happened to respect for elderly????
It's a sad state of affairs in N American culture.
Conservation does NOT happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas prices/taxes.
Give ur heads a shake!!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
OMG!!!!!
Are u guys nutso???
Conservation does not happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas taxes.
yup.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM

I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

One thing I do think about is, given that so many baby boomers have and will be entering retirement, this may put a fair burden on the budget.

I hope though, that if seniors are not doing well financially, that we can help them.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
OMG!!!!!
Are u guys nutso???
Conservation does NOT happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas prices/taxes.
I have every respect for the seniors of our province, and am not that many years away from being a senior myself. I support a nominal angling fee for seniors and youths. I have stated this on here before and I will state it again, how do you manage a resource like fishing, when you do not know how many users you have. I suppose the govt. may have some type of estimating tool, but they really have no way of knowing how many senior and youth anglers are using the resource.

If you charged a nominal fee of 5.00 for seniors and youth I can not believe that would be a hardship on anyone. If you have the ability to purchase angling gear, a vehicle and possibly a boat as well, another 5.00 will not prevent you from going fishing. You look at any sport that a youth decides to participate in, you will not find one that you can do all year that has a 5.00 participation fee.

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Even if you charged full price for a fishing licence for a senior or youth, when you put things in perspective, the cost (user fee) is probably the best deal going in our province.

Last edited by bobalong; 02-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have every respect for the seniors of our province, and am not that many years away from being a senior myself. I support a nominal angling fee for seniors and youths. I have stated this on here before and I will state it again, how do you manage a resource like fishing, when you do not know how many users you have. I suppose the govt. may have some type of estimating tool, but they really have no way of knowing how many senior and youth anglers are using the resource.

If you charged a nominal fee of 5.00 for seniors and youth I can not believe that would be a hardship on anyone. If you have the ability to purchase angling gear, a vehicle and possibly a boat as well, another 5.00 will not prevent you from going fishing. You look at any sport that a youth decides to participate in, you will not find one that you can do all year that has a 5.00 participation fee.

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more for than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Even if you charged full price for a fishing licence for a senior or youth, when you put things in perspective, the cost (user fee) is probably the best deal going in our province.
I can respect your comments sir....
But a fee does not help the Gov't keep track of anglers or fish counts and conservation issues.
More fees do not = better conservation
It's commercial harvesting that makes the biggest impacts (legal and illegal).
But it's the common sporter that pays the price.
How the already monies is used is the key....
Maybe just that youth's and seniors should register is good enough without a fee???
I'm sick of fee's for every darn thing.....
Now water fee's, battery fees, plastics fees, oil recycle fees, licence fees (motorcycle), boat licence fees, huntig or fishing area or species fees, ...etc etc etc.....It's an epidemic....do we really neeeeed more????????

Last edited by MtnGiant; 02-03-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Managing a fishery costs money, it's has to come from somewhere.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
But a fee does not help the Gov't keep track of anglers or fish counts and conservation issues.
Maybe just that youth's and seniors should register is good enough without a fee???
Now water fee's, battery fees, plastics fees, oil recycle fees, licence fees (motorcycle), boat licence fees, huntig or fishing area or species fees, ...etc etc etc.....It's an epidemic....do we really neeeeed more????????
I agree the fees do get to be a PIA. I think even if Seniors and Youth registered it would be a great help, remaining free would not really bother me all, but I think they do need to know how many actual (or at least close) anglers there are in the province.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Exactly And I have posted the same thing or similar before as well. But the highlighted even more so.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Managing a fishery costs money, it's has to come from somewhere.
We already pay taxes on everything.....and the AB gov't is talking about increased taxes this fiscal year.....
Go ahead.....pay more if ur happy w/ it....feed the Gov'ts big business ventures.....I have too much money myself
When the gov't wants more money...they're quickest cash grab is to raise gas prices.....it's really that simple...like it or lump it

Last edited by MtnGiant; 02-03-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Better yet it keeps track of fisherpeople.
Actually, it does = more fees which in turn helps toward conservation.
Commercial fishing, actually it is sport fishing(legal and illegal).
Sport fishermen should pay the price
Seniors and youth can pay for a low cost entertainment (please see my earliar post #35).
Rest of your post is just a rant and you need to get used to it. Large portion of population gonna be retired/seniors.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Better yet it keeps track of fisherpeople.
Actually, it does = more fees which in turn helps toward conservation.
Commercial fishing, actually it is sport fishing(legal and illegal).
Sport fishermen should pay the price
Seniors and youth can pay for a low cost entertainment (please see my earliar post #35).
Rest of your post is just a rant and you need to get used to it. Large portion of population gonna be retired/seniors.
If you say so
And where did I elude to the fishing licence being too high of a cost ????
I DIDNT!!!!!!
Not sure ur follwing my line of reasoning kind sir???
Ya maybe a bit of a rant....agreed
And I am used to gettn gouged every time I open my wallet....thanks for reminding me hahahaha

Last edited by MtnGiant; 02-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM

guess not
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
i think after 45 years of paying taxes some things in life should be free.if you want more fish around for other generations try catch and release than you dont have to worry about restocking programs.
So. Then i have owned a house for years never had kids.Why then should i have taxes/school feez for 30+ years..It cost money to run schools just like it costs money to run fisheries managment..
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:

$5.00 won't starve a senior -- but it's a START.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM

How about a fishing license/day should equal a cup of coffee. That makes my yearly fee from $200>250.
Gas cost for the same trips $2500>3500.
And you wants charge me $20 for a fishing license.

Bah hum big!!!! I can't afford it!
And yes I am over 65.

Don
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
How about a fishing license/day should equal a cup of coffee. That makes my yearly fee from $200>250.
Gas cost for the same trips $2500>3500.
And you wants charge me $20 for a fishing license.

Bah hum big!!!! I can't afford it!
And yes I am over 65.

Don
lol and well said
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 PM

its not a matter of being able to afford it i think most if not all can.think of it as a pat on the back after almost fifty years of paying a fee to fish.if you think of it most of them most likely wont be fishing after they turn 80 or not as much so they get 15 years free.dont see what the big deal is some things in life should be free after 65.now i just got to hold out for another 25 years but buy that time the price will be through the roof.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Personally I would sooner pay more for mine than have to mouch off the seniors. They have paid their dues. When seniors were in the working force they managed to pay the way for seniors at the time. We have more people in the Alberta work force now than ever. It's like buying your grandparents dinner, not because they can't afford it but out of respect.
I always hear that we need to keep track of how many seniors fish. Why. Buying a liecense doesn't tell anybody how many times a year they fish or how many they keep but it sure sounds like a good excuse
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
its not a matter of being able to afford it i think most if not all can.think of it as a pat on the back after almost fifty years of paying a fee to fish.if you think of it most of them most likely wont be fishing after they turn 80 or not as much so they get 15 years free.dont see what the big deal is some things in life should be free after 65.now i just got to hold out for another 25 years but buy that time the price will be through the roof.
Right you are sir.....its time to give the elderly some slack after a life of struggle....when is it cool for the elderly to relax....when they r dead....NO...cut em some slack...let em know that life can be a little lax.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yup, probably be a preposterous amout like $30.00 - $35.00 by then

pat on the back, heck just be glad you/we make it to 65
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM

A quick story,

Was heading home on afternoon passing by Cow Lake when there was 10>15 lb. rainbows in there.
A few guys were in the parking lot and I pulled up next to two guys and asked of the fishing was going. We'll, says one, We're coming back from BC and don't know how it is here. I asked how fishing was n BC. And he replyed " don't know. We never fished. We didn't know they charge seniors out there for licenses." We can't afford them!
With that I chuckled as I glanced at the equipment they were running. One guy had a 10' camper on a new one ton Ford hauling a 18'+ boat while the other's 30'+ motorhome was hauling a boat even larger.
With all that equipment it's no damn wonder they can't afford a license.

Don
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
A quick story,

Was heading home on afternoon passing by Cow Lake when there was 10>15 lb. rainbows in there.
A few guys were in the parking lot and I pulled up next to two guys and asked of the fishing was going. We'll, says one, We're coming back from BC and don't know how it is here. I asked how fishing was n BC. And he replyed " don't know. We never fished. We didn't know they charge seniors out there for licenses." We can't afford them!
With that I chuckled as I glanced at the equipment they were running. One guy had a 10' camper on a new one ton Ford hauling a 18'+ boat while the other's 30'+ motorhome was hauling a boat even larger.
With all that equipment it's no damn wonder they can't afford a license.

Don
Strange days indeed
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I have scoured the net and can find no place that mentions

A change for seniors..... Where is this printed and whom

Can you contact about this being true .

And if it is ....I see a "Pay no more " movement wait

Never say movement to an old guy... I, putting the ice

Cleats on my walkers as we speak...

Gust the following not allowed on here satire,sarcasism,any kind
Of sardonic comment , humour verboten , double entendre absolutely not.
No slurs except, about liberals......everything else fair game.
Just overheard so old.guys complaining about it thats all. I.was wondering myself.