Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Default arctic char

there is supposed to be reproducing arctic char in block lake in banff national park. however, it guards its secrets well because its a bit of a hike and there is a 200 foot straight vertical cliff to scale, before you get into the basin the lake is in. the source of these fish was northren quebec.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Dollies from Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
If you can visually confirm and identify a Dolly from a Bull than help me out I know they are two different fish but my understanding is bulls get bigger and are inland were Dollies are coastal and smaller aside from that it take a genetic sample at least thats my understanding both are Char and color not a means of differentiating.

A Dolly from very near the AB/C border, in Bee Cee... Hope this helps. I have always identified Bullies with a beigeish green tone, very few spots and no black spots of course. Although Bullies have a similar head to a Dolly, dollies I have seen have similar spots to a Brookie.... as we all know they differ from locale to locale...
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM

The fish in Block lake are Quebec Red Trout..Differant than Arctic Char..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM

Now I'll have to add Red Trout to the list also. LOL.

Oh how I wish I had a private pond stocked with lunker bows, arctic char and who knows what else. Hey goldscud are your bows triploids?

Hey Bigbore. I heard it was a ten K hike, whats the matter? LOL Ya the chopper thing sounds like the way to go about it. That way we can bring the kitchen sink worth of fishing gear . Do you know what the choppers they use have for weight restrictions? I have had every intension of leaving the golden till very last on the list just because it's such a sacred thing. 09 or 10 sounds about right though.

Hey Pierre, You should PM me where to look

Thatks for all the info everybody, I feel like I've learned a few things. Gona be checking into: Mystery, Block, Chester and mud now, as well as lott creek.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!