Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default Can personality traits affect fishing success?

Okay maybe I'm reading into this too deep here but are certain personality types pre-determined to just suck at this outdoors stuff no matter what? I been out almost a dozen times in various lakes and rivers and haven't caught frigg all yet. Tried dozens and dozens of lures (but I can't handle worms, just not going to happen) and several spots at each body of water and not even a bite. I have gotten much much better over the years but I'm not exactly known for my patience.... Seriously if it were legal I'd just get a canoe a net and some dynamite... I'm not even joking either IF IT WERE LEGAL let me be clear.

Should come as no surprise that I have a hard time making friends and 9/10 people I meet I simply do not like right from the word go with no valid reason... Like when I was leaving a fishing spot the other day obviously empty handed and 3 guys walking toward where I came from asked, "any luck?" WELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT? was my bold and arrogant reply, like shut up already geez I'm not your bro cuz we both fish DUHHH why do people pretend like they care just because we're doing the same activity? See I'm not phony like that for one, and secondly "any luck" doesn't even make sense since apparently this is all skill and patience so what does it even have to do with luck?

Why the hell can't people just keep their gumflaps shut when walking by another person with a fishing rod in hand? Seems rather easy for me to do.

Wish people would just not even talk rather than useless phony chit chat, now that's the kind of person I am, probably shouldn't even be fishing, right?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 AM

If you would take the time to chit chat with the other people carrying fishing poles your success rate will more than likely increase. Also carrying home a bag full of fish is no longer the only to way to judge a successful fishing trip since a lot of lakes or species are catch and release or have length restrictions.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Banned

Yup.

Change your attitude and you'll catch fish.

Smile and wish the next guy you see walking with a fishing rod in his hand good luck.

I'm not joking.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM

Patience is crucial. Takes some time to get to know spots better, when fish are active, what lures they like and all that. The less you have of it, the more you question yourself and how you fish.
If fishing stresses you so much, there are probably bigger issues than some guys just trying to be nice. Work on that stress first before you go fishing, then you'll get to the point where going out relaxes you and you'll catch.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM

I think you'd have more luck sharing this with a therapist then a forum full of 'Bros'.

But I'd start by asking yourself why do you go fishing? Are you trying to get outside to enjoy nature and take a break from the stress' of life? Are you trying to catch supper? Do you leave upset and angry when you come up empty handed?
If fishing makes you happy do it. If it doesn't, don't torture yourself. Simple as that.

But those people asking harmless questions arn't trying to be rude or fake. If you just had a normal conversation with them you'd probably find out what the fish have been biting today or what to avoid. Places to target, depth to fish, styles of retrieve.
Why handicap yourself right from the start by ignoring others help?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 AM

You should post a picture of yourself, so I don't quiz you on how you did if I see you.
Lighten up and ask for advice if you are around a lake you luck might increase. Lots of people will give you tips on what to use. Happy fishing.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Yup.

Change your attitude and you'll catch fish.

Smile and wish the next guy you see walking with a fishing rod in his hand good luck.

I'm not joking.

Neither am I.

I might be a lot of things but one thing I am not is phony. I JUST DON'T CARE about mundane chit chat with the next random stranger. When I say something and don't mean it it shines right through and people can read the phoniness like a book which makes it cyclical and compounds the problem and which is why I just keep my mouth shut and don't say anything unless I mean it.

Not ideal but there's no sense in lying.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post

Should come as no surprise that I have a hard time making friends and 9/10 people I meet I simply do not like right from the word go with no valid reason... Like when I was leaving a fishing spot the other day obviously empty handed and 3 guys walking toward where I came from asked, "any luck?" WELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT? was my bold and arrogant reply,?

Plenty of people catch and release so the fact that they don't have fish hanging off a stringer doesn't tell you anything about how the fishing is. And you say 90% of the people you meet you don't like as soon as they open their mouths? It really shows. That's a great way to get folks to help you out.... I doubt anything we could say here will help. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Neither am I.

I might be a lot of things but one thing I am not is phony. I JUST DON'T CARE about mundane chit chat with the next random stranger. When I say something and don't mean it it shines right through and people can read the phoniness like a book which makes it cyclical and compounds the problem and which is why I just keep my mouth shut and don't say anything unless I mean it.

You could have simply said "Nope, not a thing". That would still have been honest, wouldn't it? What would have been phoney about that?
The other guys simply were trying to be polite. Your explanation is... questionable.
And we are "random strangers" Why are you asking us? Go ask a friend.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
You should post a picture of yourself, so I don't quiz you on how you did if I see you.
Lighten up and ask for advice if you are around a lake you luck might increase. Lots of people will give you tips on what to use. Happy fishing.
Early 40's look early 30's, 6'3" 225 lbs ripped, shaved head no tattoos, incredible frigg off vibe so I've been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidhc View Post
I think you'd have more luck sharing this with a therapist then a forum full of 'Bros'.

But I'd start by asking yourself why do you go fishing? Are you trying to get outside to enjoy nature and take a break from the stress' of life?
Why? Because maybe I want more out of life than lifting weights and running. I will never quit those 2 as long as I'm breathing but I definitely want more out of life than just that.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You could have simply said "Nope, not a thing". That would still have been honest, wouldn't it? What would have been phoney about that?
The other guys simply were trying to be polite. Your explanation is BS.
The one who talks first loses. They started it by asking me a mundane irrelevant question purely solely for the sake of their benefit.

And i'm trying to get myself banned lol I'd be better off
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The one who talks first loses. They started it by asking me a mundane irrelevant question purely solely for the sake of their benefit.
LOL Sort of like you started this thread. For your own benefit?

Really, stop and think about what you are saying....
Old 07-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL Sort of like you started this thread. For your own benefit?

Really, stop and think about what you are saying....

Absolutely, 100% agree with you. Was debating whether to mention it or not lol. You don't like it you don't have to reply. Your choice.

See this is exactly what I mean.

Ahh... the combination of insecurity and frustration...
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Neither am I.

Well I guess fishing just ain't for you.

Seriously, I honestly believe that somehow there is a vibe sent down the line, it's almost like your attitude is transferred through the line. So many times I've been in a boat, using the exact same lures, the exact same bait, and I outfish the person next to me 5:1.

Brings up an interesting theory that's for sure.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 AM

Just relax, take a breath, give people the benefit of the doubt and you will find they will often help you out. You could have asked those fellows if they had fished there before and what they had used in the past. I've gotten tons of good advice here on the forum and out in the field. Maybe a little yoga after the lifting session.

If you go to a local fishing equipment shop they might be able to help you select the best lures or methods for the fish/body of water you are targeting. I always do that when I'm travelling and unfamiliar with a place.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Well I guess fishing just ain't for you.

Seriously, I honestly believe that somehow there is a vibe sent down the line, it's almost like your attitude is transferred through the line. So many times I've been in a boat, using the exact same lures, the exact same bait, and I outfish the person next to me 5:1.

Brings up an interesting theory that's for sure.
I actually believe the vibe thing... not even being sarcastic I thought about that one long and hard was fishing with a family member exactly how you described and the results were exactly as you described...

I guess it's no different than a guy my age and size who can't pick up a 50lb dumbell or run more than 100 yds...

So really, if fishing is indeed some zen spiritual crap, then yeah it ain't for me
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I actually believe the vibe thing... not even being sarcastic I thought about that one long and hard was fishing with a family member exactly how you described and the results were exactly as you described...

I guess it's no different than a guy my age and size who can't pick up a 50lb dumbell or run more than 100 yds...
Well maybe like some people have to train to hammer curl 50lbs or sprint 100yds, you should start trying to realize the world doesn't revolve around you, and whether you realize it or not that no matter who you are there are 100's, 1000's, even millions of people that do stuff unconditionally every day that makes your life better. Take the time to care about others unconditionally in baby steps like asking how their luck is, or letting them know you had no luck. I'm not sure if it would help, but I know for a fact it won't hurt you, you'll barely even feel a thing, other than relief.

My son is a prime example. When we are fishing and I'm landing fish after fish and he's not getting anything, he gets angry. I hook a fish and hand him my rod so he can reel it in, all of a sudden his attitude changes, he's happy and it seems there is a vibe running through the line and he starts landing fish.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM

ASPD is tough to treat. I guess the fish don't like it either.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
ASPD is tough to treat. I guess the fish don't like it either.
Yeah well, maybe for my next vacation i'ma go somewhere where blast fishing is legal, see how they like that.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Banned

if 9 out of 10 people you meet are a**holes its probably you that's the a**hole
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Plenty of people catch and release so the fact that they don't have fish hanging off a stringer doesn't tell you anything about how the fishing is. And you say 90% of the people you meet you don't like as soon as they open their mouths? It really shows. That's a great way to get folks to help you out.... I doubt anything we could say here will help. Good luck.
Quote:
The other guys simply were trying to be polite. Your explanation is... questionable.

This and this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:37 AM

You need some preparation before you are going fishing. Buy a box (or two) of beer. Put it into a fridge. Take a camera with you. Find spot with no people around. Enjoy the silence. Take couple pictures. Come home and have you beer. Close your eyes and recollect you day on the water. You don't even need your fishing rod with you.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 AM

This has to be the most asinine post in the history of AO and there's been some doozies.

The best way to learn something is to learn from someone with experience and success. For example:

-Any Luck?
-Nope. I'm pretty new to the sport, you guys ever have any luck around here?
-Yeah we catch a few.
-Cool, any tips for a newbie? What kind of lure would you recommend?
-Try finding some deep holes in the river. We use number 0 five of diamonds.
-Thanks for the tip. Hope you have better luck then me.

No phoniness whatsoever in that conversation. Don't be a ***** and most people are willing to drop a few nuggets of knowledge on you.

If all else fails, ask guys at the filleting table what they were using.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:05 PM

I have seen some of the most ignorant miserable fishermen on the planet catch fish left and right. In BC, lakes in AB and SK, Hawaii.

You are having bad luck. That's all.

Being a miserable jerk doesn't matter to the fish. A fake smile isn't going to help. You have to put in the time, find the spots.

Beyond that, fill your boots.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have seen some of the most ignorant miserable fishermen on the planet catch fish left and right. In BC, lakes in AB and SK, Hawaii.

You are having bad luck. That's all.

Being a miserable jerk doesn't matter to the fish. A fake smile isn't going to help. You have to put in the time, find the spots.

Beyond that, fill your boots.
Well there may be some hope after all then. Because yes I am more or less miserable and the general perception is that I am a jerk. I don't always mean to be, I'm just insecure about some aspects of my life and although I have given thought to negative energy finding its way down my rod through the line and into the water keeping fish away, the further thought of such a manifestation really only adds to my frustration.

Time and effort it will be.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM

Take up knitting. How many people walk by you with knitting needles and ask " how's the scarf coming"?

Dodger.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
This and this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OP needs to read your sig line
Old 07-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Take up knitting. How many people walk by you with knitting needles and ask " how's the scarf coming"?

Dodger.
What!? How dare you! I was making a toque!

I SNAP, lose it! I head fake him with the needles and the knitwit goes for it. Upper cut to the turtle neck, flurry to the solar plexus. He`s lying on the floor staring into my knitting bag like he wants to go in, curl up and die. I says `How`s that pal? Is that how's the scarf coming enough for you?' And ever since he's been the champ.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
OP needs to read your sig line

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

For a guy who doesn't like talking to random people you seem to be doing a good job in this thread....
Closed Thread