Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default Clear Lake

Was out there last night for a few hour, we were getting good bite for the most part, caught about 3.5lb pike. we were using pink and red glow in the dark jigs with a minow, seemed to work great there, Anyways just wondering if anyone has had any luck out there and what they have been cathing/ using to catch,
thanks all
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Clear Lake

Fished Clear Lake all day Friday and part of the morning on Saturday. It was a beautiful day Friday with the sun shining and very warm but we only caught two of the smallest pike I have ever seen!! Cute little guys and after a pic back in the lake they went. Dont know where the big ones were in Clear Lake but we never saw any. Went to Keho and fished Saturday afternoon and caught lots of 2-3lbers.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Was talking to the CO down south today, he says Clear Lake is soon to be a collapsed fishery. He was very dissapointed. Mainly about people taking out the big pike and bragging about them...
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

thats terrible to hear, i am just Out there for fun, see if i can maybe get a trophy for a good picture, but always C&R.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
Was talking to the CO down south today, he says Clear Lake is soon to be a collapsed fishery. He was very dissapointed. Mainly about people taking out the big pike and bragging about them...
Ran into 3 different COs on Clear this year. One of them does have that opinion. Guess everybody has an opinion. There were only 4 of us on Clear today between 10 - 2 anyways.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Gone Hunting

That game warden isnt stating an opinion Tacklerunner, its a cold hard fact. If the other game wardens you speak of dont share that opinion, its because they are joe boys that dont have a sniff about what they are talking about. Ive never fished Clear Lake, and have never seen it, but I guarantee one thing, hes right about what he said regarding collapsing the pike fishery. Bottom line is, it aint the first slough to be destroyed in Alberta, and it aint gonna be the last. Enjoy it while ya got it, good luck out there.

Edit. And to think, all it will take in this province to change things and begin rehabilitation is a simple change to the existing joke blanket regulations. I cannot get my head around this. Man alive.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 02-15-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
That game warden isnt stating an opinion Tacklerunner, its a cold hard fact. If the other game wardens you speak of dont share that opinion, its because they are joe boys that dont have a sniff about what they are talking about. Ive never fished Clear Lake, and have never seen it, but I guarantee one thing, hes right about what he said regarding collapsing the pike fishery. Bottom line is, it aint the first slough to be destroyed in Alberta, and it aint gonna be the last. Enjoy it while ya got it, good luck out there.

Edit. And to think, all it will take in this province to change things and begin rehabilitation is a simple change to the existing joke blanket regulations. I cannot get my head around this. Man alive.
There you go. On the money. Clear, as popular as it is, is not even in the regs so "general regs apply".
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:

A question came to mind and I'd like your opinion. You're opinions on this matter are similar to mine based on your tag. Is it a renewable resource then? IF Clear is gonna go, I'm not certain it is, but if it is, can they/should they/would they just find another slough and start planting and growing a fishery and sustain it until it was self sustainable and open it to the public as the next "fish farm". Because that's all it is then, a fish farm. Might as well call it Clear Pond and add it to the stocked pond section of the regs.

I live in South Calgary and used to take my nephew when he was about 3 to Allen Bill Pond and some other stocked "ponds" close to me. I set the hook and he'd reel them in; nice 12 - 16 inchers AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON. He had a much fun releasing them. Come August it's all fished out. That's a stocked food source and any time we went, weekday or weekend it was the same people EVERYDAY taking home their 4 fish and 4 for each kid and 4 for the wife. Am I starting to compare apples to apples?

I fish Clear 2 - 4 times a month on hard water and practice C&R just because I can't eat that much fish and don't have use for them. As a matter of fact I just posted a thread about the 63cm size limit and Clear is one of the lakes I've noticed a growth in size over the last 2 months. Off the topic but thoughts?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Default My .02 cents

Bottom line is what's LEGAL isnt necessarily ETHICAL.....I would love to see the day that we as outdoorsmen(women) recognize that it is up to us out there to make the ethical choices to protect our precious resources and have them last through the years for our children and grandchildren to enjoy like we have. I believe in catch and release and letting those big ones live to spawn and fight again another day. I'm not against taking a couple fish home for dinner but NOT the big ones....take your pics, give high fives, cheer then get that fish back in the water. If we all practiced this imagine the fisheries all around us that we would have... Where any given day you could go out to just about any lake that you choose and have a higher than average chance at catching trophy fish ALL DAY
But this is up to us to make it happen, not waiting for the changes in reg's to do it for us.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingDinger View Post
Bottom line is what's LEGAL isnt necessarily ETHICAL.....
True . . . but my ethics and your ethics may be two very different things. There may not be two of us on this board that share exactly the same ethics.

A person's ethics are based on a number of things. One of those things may be what is legal and what is not, but most of it comes down to the way a person is raised and what s/he has been exposed to in life: it is cultural, so to speak.

I personally will not comment on the ethics of others, as long as they abide by the laws. It is not my place to decide what is ethical for another person. It is not another person's place to decide what is ethical for me.

Edit: I should have said that "I will not comment publicly on the ethics of others."

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 02-16-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

As i have been saying its only a matter of time until we start hearing this...
Didnt wanna say it but...."told ya so"

Here's more opinions for you guys to look at.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51557
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

BING0!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some besides Packhuntr and myself actually get it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingDinger View Post
Bottom line is what's LEGAL isnt necessarily ETHICAL.....I would love to see the day that we as outdoorsmen(women) recognize that it is up to us out there to make the ethical choices to protect our precious resources and have them last through the years for our children and grandchildren to enjoy like we have. I believe in catch and release and letting those big ones live to spawn and fight again another day. I'm not against taking a couple fish home for dinner but NOT the big ones....take your pics, give high fives, cheer then get that fish back in the water. If we all practiced this imagine the fisheries all around us that we would have... Where any given day you could go out to just about any lake that you choose and have a higher than average chance at catching trophy fish ALL DAY
But this is up to us to make it happen, not waiting for the changes in reg's to do it for us.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 PM

Perhaps this is a stupid question but I'll ask it still...
Why does it take a collapse or near collapse for F&W to make changes to the regulations? I'm asking based on the COs comment regarding Clear.

I'm not being argumentative. If this is true regarding Clear lake, I am truly disappointed for my kids. What drives changes to the rules and regs?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

ur a joke
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM

With all due respect to everyone promoting "ethical" choices by the masses, I would much rather see quick acting rules and regulation changes. If for no other reason than the vast majority of people are simply not knowledgeable enough to make the correct "ethical" choice even if they want to.

Take my wife for example. She is a loving mom who enjoys fishing with me and our young twin boys. At the same time we also enjoy eating fish from time to time. The last thing she would want is to knowingly contribute to the collapse of a fishery. She likely doesn't understand the impact of harvesting a large 25 lb+ pike. Frankly, until recently, and with the help of this forum, I didn't know the full impact either.

Last edited by Duramaximos; 02-17-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM

My apologies to the OP - it appears I contributed to completely de-railing this thread. If someone would like to start a new topic I'll be glad to move my questions there.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
My apologies to the OP - it appears I contributed to completely de-railing this thread. If someone would like to start a new topic I'll be glad to move my questions there.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51557
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post
ur a joke
I disagree! I think his bang on!

Greed, stubborness and "old school" mentality is a quick way to wipe out these lakes.

The "joke" will be when this lake is totally wiped out and all the meat harvesting fisherman start whining "fishin' aint what it used to be."
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post
ur a joke
That's just ignorant. If you have that opinion, you better have some facts or explanation as to why you feel that way. That's how it works on here whether you agree or disagree with someone.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
That's just ignorant. If you have that opinion, you better have some facts or explanation as to why you feel that way. That's how it works on here whether you agree or disagree with someone.
Right on Tacklerunner!!!

We may all disagree on things but no need to be that way! We all have our opinions and may get heated from time to time but in the end there is no need to personally slam someone.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Uh...

Since when is Clear "wiped out"? Last time I was there we had a flag bonanza. The new 11 year old angler I took out had a field day.

I'll do you one better...please show me a lake in Alberta where angling pressure has eliminated or crippled pike populations. I mean eliminated pike - not just made it so that large fish are a lot more rare.

The debate is really simple: trophy or harvest fishing. Our regs are such that fish get to spawn before they're legally harvestable, so the long term sustainability of the fisheries isn't at stake.

It's got very little to do with "ethics", and way more to do with "values". The only reason that it's not a good idea to kill a large pike, which has already spawned a half dozen times, is that it deprives another angler of the opportunity to catch that exact fish again.

Maximos (or others), please enlighten me: what is the impact of killing a large 25 pound fish on the fishery? You guys are very passionate and I respect that, but stick to the facts please.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM

For the record, I haven't formed my final opinion yet.
Fact hunting is largely what I'm doing by asking these questions. I'm just as interested in the answers to the questions you ask.

In the mean time, I want to know how to access desision makers to promote my opinion to enact changes if necessary.

So far what I do know is that fishing isn't nearly as sucessful as it was only 10 years ago. I would never have a poor day on McGreggor, for example. This year I've spent four long days there (twice on open water and twice on the ice) and skunked every time.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM

To answer your question regarding the impact of harvesting a large female pike - in my opinion you are removing a signficant spawner from the water. Is is not that clear cut?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
To answer your question regarding the impact of harvesting a large female pike - in my opinion you are removing a signficant spawner from the water. Is is not that clear cut?
It is to me!!!

However, we will never sway the opinions of the "ol' timer attitude kill everything mentality". They always have there made up reasons to kill the big spawner trophy fish that we all look after. If this is not true then go sit at Chestermere or the Canals and catch and kill all the hammer handle pike you want! Eat them rather then waste the big fish by carving out your 12" fillets and dumping the rest of the fish in the trash! WASTE OF A RESOURCE!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
Uh...

Since when is Clear "wiped out"? Last time I was there we had a flag bonanza. The new 11 year old angler I took out had a field day.

I'll do you one better...please show me a lake in Alberta where angling pressure has eliminated or crippled pike populations. I mean eliminated pike - not just made it so that large fish are a lot more rare.

The debate is really simple: trophy or harvest fishing. Our regs are such that fish get to spawn before they're legally harvestable, so the long term sustainability of the fisheries isn't at stake.

It's got very little to do with "ethics", and way more to do with "values". The only reason that it's not a good idea to kill a large pike, which has already spawned a half dozen times, is that it deprives another angler of the opportunity to catch that exact fish again.

Maximos (or others), please enlighten me: what is the impact of killing a large 25 pound fish on the fishery? You guys are very passionate and I respect that, but stick to the facts please.
The population doesnt get whipped out. It collapses (numbers drop more rapidly then can be repopulated) and there are loads of lakes that will never be the way they used to be due to over fishing. Years ago hundreds and hundreds of guys hammered Macgregor for years. The numbers went down on all species (i havent caught a perch in that lake in 10 years and we used to get tons). What happens is a lake like Clear that has been around for a looooooong time finally gets discovered. Everyone brags it up and kills the big fish to show other people and brag. It keeps happening until the fishing sucks then everyone complains that the fishing has gone downhill and all they catch are a few little pike. Well, hmmmm i wonder why!

Badger is now nothing like it was either due to the same thing thats happening at Clear. You don't see Macgregor getting pounded anymore. Why, because its not like it used to be! Well here is a FACT, Clear is well on its way to sucking as well.

Again, i'm not saying don't kill any fish. If you feel the need then go ahead just don't ignore the truth, this lake is getting raped!Just keep hammering on the lake and everyone will quickly understand. Then look for the next new hotspot to exploite.

Wake up guys its not the 70's anymore there consequences for our actions. It we keep killing every fish we can just because its legal we are in big crap. Do you really think on a tiny lake like Clear the C.O and Biologists really expected hundreds of guys a week to be on Clear lake or Slough?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Badger may not be as good as it was "back in the day", but it's still an awesome fishery that produces lots of hawgs. Hell, I'd qualify it as a trophy fishery. Could it be better? Absolutely, but that's not what we're talking about here. A guy can go to Badger at any time of the year and have a good chance at catching a pike that's over 20 pounds. Let's call a spade a spade. Badger sees 10 times the pressure that Clear does, year in, year out. It's pounded year round and lots of guys that fish it kill damn near everything they can. I saw 4 fish over 40" killed there in two hours at the canal last year. And yet, despite that this has been happening since Badger got popular 20 years ago, there are still plenty of pike to go around. Badger was suffering a few years back because of overharvest, and the new regs have addressed that.

Macgregor, for all intents and purposes, has ZERO fishing pressure over its size. Fly it in a plane on the busiest day of the season and you'll see miles and miles of totally untouched water. I can't comment on the perch fishing, but I can tell you that Big Mac still produces its share of hawg pike. Most guys that fish there have whites on their minds anyway. You don't see guys fishing pike at Macgregor because it's a big intimidating lake with poor access, and it's just not as talked about or as easy to fish as Badger or Newell. But I'll bet that if you and I loaded up the truck and went at it hard we'd find that the fishing is every bit as good.

I totally agree that on smaller lakes like Clear, the current regs mean that a big spike in fishing pressure will result in less trophy sized fish. But it won't mean the end of the fishery.

You are passionate about trophy pike fishing. I appreciate and admire that. But let's be honest - you want people to release large fish so that you can catch them too. I feel exactly the same. There's nothing wrong with that - just don't claim that it's because you're more "ethical" or more "conservation minded" than they are. We are all different people with different goals as anglers. If we recognize that we are all on the same team instead of deriding and belittling each other, we'll all get what we want.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM

If clear is overfished, a C&R break for 2-5 years will fix it. Look at Wabamun. I fished that lake as a kid and in no time has it ever been as good as it is right now. It is unbelieveable - and likely all due to the C&R reg as a result of the oil spill. I have another wacky conservation idea - lets go dump oil into all the lakes we want to be Catch and Release!! Seriously, AB needs to copy Sask. - harvest the little ones and save as many big ones as possible - no more moratoriums though...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

Of course i want to catch big pike but I would like there to be a few left for my kids to catch as well! I just think I have a different view of these fish then most guys do. It seems like they are treated like slimy, over run, easy to harvest meat targets for guys. They get treated like crap compared to trout or walleye or any other "harder" to catch fish. Most people seem to have the attitude that we can't over fish pike because they are so hardy. All I’m trying to say is this is not the case. I'm sure Clear may always have some pike in it but not like it did. Nobody that has fished this lake for two or more years can dispute this. The average fish even 4 years ago was 26-34" and you would be into them all day with a handful of 35-40"+ fish thrown in the mix. Does that happen anymore??? Most guys are catching the fish that can't be harvested now because they are too small. I wonder why?

Another thing that help’s deplete the numbers is the fact that Pike have a bad rep with anglers. Just watch or think how often we see the poor treatment these fish get compared to other fish that are harder to catch or more glamorous. Fisherman grab em' by the eyes to land them, fill their mouths with three trebles when all you need is one, drag them up on the rocks or on onto the floors of boats, shove a giant gag in 12-24" fishes mouth destroying their heads and jaws, tossing them back or shaking them off the hook instead of properly releasing them like you would a trout, hang em' on a stringer then releasing smaller fish if they catch a bigger one (illegal but it happens), ripping and tearing out hooks instead of removing them, releasing bleeding fish that are of legal size rather than retaining them because they aren’t massive enough. Why not keep these fish that are going to die anyways? Go fish the Bow on a summer day and treat a trout like that. I don't think a guy would make it back to the truck without a black eye. So why do we treat pike this way? Because they aren’t as pretty? The point I’m try to make is they kill all they can and have no respect for what they are doing because they are pike plain and simple.

Keep your fish i don't care but understand the damage that is happening when you are taking more than needed or actually killing more than you realize in the process. Clear is TINY compared to Badger or other lakes and despite what most think it CANNOT survive the pounding its getting. Its more than just the fish that guys are taking home that will cause the collapse this lake it’s also the fact that with the numbers of guys on this tiny lake way more fish are dying then we realize.

That’s enough preaching for now…
Good luck guys!

Bow
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Good points. I totally agree that the mortality from C&R baitfishing is underestimated in many cases, but I think the barbless regs help with that.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
Good points. I totally agree that the mortality from C&R baitfishing is underestimated in many cases, but I think the barbless regs help with that.
Agreed. I think a big help is also changing lures to a single larger barbless single hook. Rap's work fine with a single hook out the back and are way easier to remove then a mouth full of hooks.