Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM

I think that a hookless law should be in affect, think about it. Its all in how you handle a fish. Who goes pike fishing without spreaders??? Now, as for a weak little trout, sure let the fly guys have hard at er with barbless hooks!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

It's a cycle. Lake A will get hammered until we discover Lake B. Then we discover Lake C and 40% fish B, 40% C and 20% A because they think the Bs and Cs gave up to early. It has been like that and will be like that forever. The biggest difference is we are all much more educated on C&R and the practice of C&R will continue to grow in popularity. People will keep what they want but I would suggest "waste" is waaaayyyyyyy down. We don't keep fish just because we caught them anymore. When we have enough, we quit fishing or if we are having fun we continue and C&R. Through research F&W is doing the best they can and it ain't that bad. Fishing is never going to be a high priority on any governments list in Alberta.

So go, fish, as much as you can because there's not much in this world as simple and rewarding anymore. Catch, keep, release but stay within the rules.

Fishing is a SPORT. That means it takes effort and practice to win. If "catching" was getting easier, the sport would be dying.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Default I agree

I tend to agree with most of the comments of this thread. Used to fish Badger years back in the amazing days and it is not what it used to be. Have just started fishing Clear and I still have yet to see Moby Dick but we have caught several as well. I used to be from the old school of keep them as big as I can, fill the freezer etc. but now I only bring home the just keeper sizes and pretty much only enough for a fish fry. Paying more attention to what is going on and looking at the amount of eggs in some of thos monster spawners we used to keep got me thinking big time. The just keepers are the best tasting and I only need a few at the most to feed the wife and I anyways so lets leave the big ones to replenish the stock. There are a couple of lakes that are big producers here in the south that I can go out in the summer and catch 15-20 lb pike till the cows come home and have been for years. We put them back and I am sure I have caught a few several times over. get out there and find the fun spots and leave the good ones to make more for another day. Go to Jeffs fishing map and study it carefully and you will be able to find some nice lake x secret spots as some of us refer to. If you watch for some of out AO expeditions you may even be able to find some fun spots as well. Just be sure to respect them so we can all enjoy the rush of catching some monster fish over and over as many of us have.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM

Well said Gringo
Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I tend to agree with most of the comments of this thread. Used to fish Badger years back in the amazing days and it is not what it used to be. Have just started fishing Clear and I still have yet to see Moby Dick but we have caught several as well. I used to be from the old school of keep them as big as I can, fill the freezer etc. but now I only bring home the just keeper sizes and pretty much only enough for a fish fry. Paying more attention to what is going on and looking at the amount of eggs in some of thos monster spawners we used to keep got me thinking big time. The just keepers are the best tasting and I only need a few at the most to feed the wife and I anyways so lets leave the big ones to replenish the stock. There are a couple of lakes that are big producers here in the south that I can go out in the summer and catch 15-20 lb pike till the cows come home and have been for years. We put them back and I am sure I have caught a few several times over. get out there and find the fun spots and leave the good ones to make more for another day. Go to Jeffs fishing map and study it carefully and you will be able to find some nice lake x secret spots as some of us refer to. If you watch for some of out AO expeditions you may even be able to find some fun spots as well. Just be sure to respect them so we can all enjoy the rush of catching some monster fish over and over as many of us have.

Well said!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
I think that a hookless law should be in affect, think about it. Its all in how you handle a fish. Who goes pike fishing without spreaders??? Now, as for a weak little trout, sure let the fly guys have hard at er with barbless hooks!
I don't get this post?

I'll try though...
First off everyone carries spreaders but i dont use them on small pike as it tears there faces off. Usually the points to through the jaws and damage them plus they over spread and break they faces. Bigger fish now problem they can close there yaps with the spreaders in!

As far fly fisherman with barbless hooks on trout......i don't get it?
I fish barbless single hook flys on pike and catch the hell outta big pike but still respect them when handling them. They are NOT as though as you think.

If i missed or was off on any of your comments i appoligize. It you would like to re type this post so i understand it i can respond again.

Take care
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=BowhuntAB;515023] I don't get this post?

I'll try though...
First off everyone carries spreaders but i dont use them on small pike as it tears there faces off. Usually the points to through the jaws and damage them plus they over spread and break they faces. Bigger fish now problem they can close there yaps with the spreaders in!

how small of pike are you talking? I must be spoiled, Ive only caught one small pike in the last 2 years. now I consider anything under 5 pounds a hammerhandle. gotta love the south Ive seen a different style of spreader too, that doesnt go thru their jaws as far as I can see, maybe I will pick one up this year and give it a go.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ive seen a different style of spreader too, that doesnt go thru their jaws as far as I can see, maybe I will pick one up this year and give it a go.
Huh. I've only got the kinda sharp and pokey spreaders: which I never even bother to use as they seem like they'd be really hard on the fish. I didn't know there was another kind.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Huh. I've only got the kinda sharp and pokey spreaders: which I never even bother to use as they seem like they'd be really hard on the fish. I didn't know there was another kind.
I think you have to catch a fish first Im pretty sure I saw the other kind at TFH last weekend, they have like a "T" on the ends of the arms, rubber coated for your protection. Or maybe the fishes, I dont know
this is a different kind, same sort of idea tho
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod263885.html

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM

These guys have soft rubber nubs to gently hold the pikeys mouth open. Work great.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post

These guys have soft rubber nubs to gently hold the pikeys mouth open. Work great.
thanks, those are the ones I saw. somehow the words gently and pikes mouth dont seem to fit together LOL kinda like lambswool chainsaw!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Default i no what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
A question came to mind and I'd like your opinion. You're opinions on this matter are similar to mine based on your tag. Is it a renewable resource then? IF Clear is gonna go, I'm not certain it is, but if it is, can they/should they/would they just find another slough and start planting and growing a fishery and sustain it until it was self sustainable and open it to the public as the next "fish farm". Because that's all it is then, a fish farm. Might as well call it Clear Pond and add it to the stocked pond section of the regs.

I live in South Calgary and used to take my nephew when he was about 3 to Allen Bill Pond and some other stocked "ponds" close to me. I set the hook and he'd reel them in; nice 12 - 16 inchers AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON. He had a much fun releasing them. Come August it's all fished out. That's a stocked food source and any time we went, weekday or weekend it was the same people EVERYDAY taking home their 4 fish and 4 for each kid and 4 for the wife. Am I starting to compare apples to apples?

I fish Clear 2 - 4 times a month on hard water and practice C&R just because I can't eat that much fish and don't have use for them. As a matter of fact I just posted a thread about the 63cm size limit and Clear is one of the lakes I've noticed a growth in size over the last 2 months. Off the topic but thoughts?
people need to be educated on catch and release i was at pcr and a fellow and his kids were having a great time nice to see but as they were catching walleye me and my son were watching them put the walleye in a napsack but as everyone no you haft to release no limits its a joke . poaching is a sin. my boy would say to me lets take 2 so we can eat dad everyone else is i looked my son right in the eyes and told him no i have always been lucky fisherman because ive always fished by the rules and the fishing gods will always look out for you . take a nice pic its better than the fish and let are future familys have fish to catch and enjoy
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

Angry Put the godamn fish back!!!

Taxidermists don't use the fish any more, they use your picture

Who the **** eats JACK anyways??

Fish in Alberta are chalk full of chemicals from run off.....On second thought keep eating the fish, maybe we can collapse your gene pool. SOM BITCHES!!!

Let's start treating the Wolves and the Walleys like we treat our trout fisheries.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Default gone to buy the enquirer for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonreuz View Post

Fish in Alberta are chalk full of chemicals from run off.....On second thought keep eating the fish, maybe we can collapse your gene pool. SOM BITCHES!!!

Let's start treating the Wolves and the Walleys like we treat our trout fisheries.

Speaking of gene pools..... Look everyone!!!! I think he might be part of bud leights gene pool! Lets all stand up and give a huge round of applause for those that just seem to have to add their 5 cents worth and amuse themselves! There seems to be one in every thread! I think I am going to start an "is it just me" thread. We will just have to take a vote and see who really needs to find something more productive to do with their time.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=roachman;516759]Speaking of gene pools..... Look everyone!!!! I think he might be part of bud leights gene pool!

EXACTLY!!! Way to way in from Driftpile AB, I though you guys learned how to read FROM beer cans. Guess not hey

PUT THE FISH BACK *******!!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:

i'm a bitch who eats jacks . have for quite some time now , not starting to glow in the dark yet .
Old 02-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Talking Tottaly Super Awesome

[QUOTE= We will just have to take a vote and see who really needs to find something more productive to do with their time.[/QUOTE]

Like sit around posting forums all day in your underwear? You know what? your right.
I'll log off here,as it would be impossible to bring about positive change through a web BLOG. Especially with Joe Roachmen who can't see far enough past his own shadow to understand the long term effects of what it is that he's doing wrong. Your the same ***** that leaves his beer bottles and his bait tub behind at every spot he goes to. I hope the next trophy hen you remove from OUR waters gives you siffilus. Hopefully the unhealthy drip,drip, drip will be a reminder to you, that if you keep ****ing on the evironment you won't be able to turn the taps off.

I'm sure there will be some juvenile response. So I am going to log off and enjoy my day...But in lieu of your forthcoming response....

Did I say enjoy my day? I meant your old lady..
Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Like sit around posting forums all day in your underwear? You know what? your right.
I'll log off here,as it would be impossible to bring about positive change through a web BLOG. Especially with Joe Roachmen who can't see far enough past his own shadow to understand the long term effects of what it is that he's doing wrong. Your the same ***** that leaves his beer bottles and his bait tub behind at every spot he goes to. I hope the next trophy hen you remove from OUR waters gives you siffilus. Hopefully the unhealthy drip,drip, drip will be a reminder to you, that if you keep ****ing on the evironment you won't be able to turn the taps off.

I'm sure there will be some juvenile response. So I am going to log off and enjoy my day...But in lieu of your forthcoming response....

bye
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Default I am the old lady bonehead

Quote:
like sit around posting forums all day in your underwear? You know what? Your right.
I'll log off here,as it would be impossible to bring about positive change through a web blog. Especially with joe roachmen who can't see far enough past his own shadow to understand the long term effects of what it is that he's doing wrong. Your the same ***** that leaves his beer bottles and his bait tub behind at every spot he goes to. I hope the next trophy hen you remove from our waters gives you siffilus. Hopefully the unhealthy drip,drip, drip will be a reminder to you, that if you keep ****ing on the evironment you won't be able to turn the taps off.

I'm sure there will be some juvenile response. So i am going to log off and enjoy my day...but in lieu of your forthcoming response....

Did i say enjoy my day? I meant your old lady..
blah blah blah blah
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM

"Your the same ***** that leaves his beer bottles and his bait tub behind at every spot he goes to."

You couldn't be more wrong.

"I'm sure there will be some juvenile response."

Hard to beat your replies, darned near impossible.

bye
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I find this thread very disturbing. First off, there is no need to be arrogant; some people just have no idea about the impact we can have very quickly on the shallow lakes we have in southern Alberta, and some may have been educated poorly by their mentor.

First, I grew up fishing Jacks in southern Alberta and love eating winter Jacks. They are great, and I would love to eat some right now, but I ate it all already.
There does need to be different restrictions placed on the Jack stocks in Alberta, as there are lakes that were fantastic 15 years ago that are pathetic remnants of what they were now. The first I would mention would be Keho. It was by far the best lake to catch a couple 10lbs + fish in a day through ice back then, and we did it regularly. Unfortunately we (my grandfather, his friends and I) didn't understand the simple things, and we often kept a full limit of 10 a piece and not one would be under 8lbs. I remember our best day on the ice, we had 15 fish between 12 and 16lbs and 2 over 20lbs. I even pulled a 6lb Whitefish through the ice on a smelt. We through back a ton of fish in the 4-8lb category, and if we had known we would have kept our limit in this range and tossed the real breeders back down the hole.
I fished Clear the last few years and when we started it was amazing, we kept a few in the 4 to 6lb range and ate very well. I haven't been out this year, but I would believe what most people I know are telling me: it has been destroyed compared to what it was 5 years ago.
I am not a C&R fanatic; I like to eat it too. And you can stuff your chemical pollution garbage. Do you eat feedlot beef, canned tuna, canned salmon, Lilydale chickens? I'd rather eat pond fish thanks.
There are lots of things they could do, like slot limits. Yearly limits on fish (when you buy your license every year, you get your 20 pike tags, 25 trout tags, 30 whitefish tags, 40 perch tags, or whatever numbers are reasonable).
Increase enforcement, would be the first great start.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Default neat freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
"Your the same ***** that leaves his beer bottles and his bait tub behind at every spot he goes to."

You couldn't be more wrong.

"I'm sure there will be some juvenile response."

Hard to beat your replies, darned near impossible.

bye
I have to say in my defense that more times than not I take someone elses garbage home with me. I take the line that most feel is unimportant. I take the 6 pack rings that most feel are no where near harmful. I spend more time taking and packing garbage in my vehicle. Beer cans and bottles. My children when they are with me will take a garbage bag and pick up what many choose to leave behind as shameful as that is or should be.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachman View Post
I have to say in my defense that more times than not I take someone elses garbage home with me. I take the line that most feel is unimportant. I take the 6 pack rings that most feel are no where near harmful. I spend more time taking and packing garbage in my vehicle. Beer cans and bottles. My children when they are with me will take a garbage bag and pick up what many choose to leave behind as shameful as that is or should be.
oh, the shame, stealing other peoples left behinds, how can you ever live with yourself? I pick up enough cans and bottles to pay for my license every year, why not, its free money. The garbage goes in a bag and gets tossed in the dumpster at work

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Although I'm new to this forum, I have to check this thread almost daily. It's unbelievable how a topic can start a discussion about 10 totally unrelated topics. Not in a bad way but almost none of this thread's posts have anything to do with Clear Lake. It's just really interesting to me that everyone has so many different opinions, quams and beliefs and you just can't tell where a thread is going by the title. I enjoy it and the threads I don't, I don't read. That's the great thing about this forum. There's something for everyone.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachman View Post
blah blah blah blah
told you that nickname would get you in trouble

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=WayneChristie;515481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
I don't get this post?

I'll try though...

how small of pike are you talking? I must be spoiled, Ive only caught one small pike in the last 2 years. now I consider anything under 5 pounds a hammerhandle. gotta love the south Ive seen a different style of spreader too, that doesnt go thru their jaws as far as I can see, maybe I will pick one up this year and give it a go.
5 lbs is a hammer handle and don't worry i catch LOADS of big pike on the fly i might add plus i always put them back so theat you have a chance to catch them as well!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Lets get back onto the topic and stop the bickering!

CLEAR LAKE.
Others and myself think its in major trouble and have been debating why i think this.

Many guys are debating the opposite and explaining why they feel this way.

I think its been pretty educational up until now with both side giving some great points so lets try to get back on track and end the name calling and slamming.

That being said i really liked the idea that REM338WIN brought up about the tags. I think that would be a great idea! What do you all think?

Though we don't have any real say and we can't change the rules what common ground could we come to that could help everyone? Love to hear ideas!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Clear lake

I fully agree with the tags...certainly on some bodies of water. There are some lakes in decline which could be or should be omitted from harvest both recreationally AND commercially. Clear lake has no commercial netting as far as I know and is being overfished recreationally. I honestly believe some lakes should be catch and release for those of us who enjoy that sort of fishing-why should that make people uncomfortable. When the fishery has rebounded it could be re-opened on a limited basis for tags and you who like pike/etc. could eat pike. I think this following scenario would benifit most people. For instance the Travers/little bow reservoir project. Once the little bow reservoir and Travers reservoir are at the same level and allow a pass through of fish use Little bow as a catch and release lake-sort of a brooding pond to protect stocks- and allow Travers to be covered under the regular regs...That means no Commercial as well on the little bow reservoir.That way the fish will always be moving in from the smaller lake to the bigger one yet not get totally wiped...All for one and more for all...Perhaps the odd lake has an area geographically which could be isolated for this purpose.Just a thought...Dave.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM

rem, I totally agree - it was the 10 fish per day, any size limit that put a lot of our lakes in trouble. Combine that with the ridiculous mortality associated with barbed hooks and bait and you've got a train wreck on your hands. And to be fair to SRD, those regs were in place for years and years and Keho, Badger, Newell, Clear, etc. all developed into fantastic fisheries.

The fact is that SRD saw a problem and took steps to rectify it. Derbies have gone to C&R. The lakes are now mostly closed to fishing when the big pigs are at their most vulnerable. Everyone is fishing barbless. These are pretty large steps and we won't see the full impact for another few years. They were taken because the situation changed.

I see a whole bunch of arguments here about releasing big fish, and the "damage we're doing to the fisheries" and a bunch of other talk. What I don't see is any scientific proof to support those claims. I don't see any discussion about what a sustainable harvest looks like, or growth rates, or anything of the sort. Someone here said that Clear is being "overfished recreationally". Really? Based on what, a bunch of guys here on the board who probably couldn't rub together a tenth of a fisheries biology degree between all of us.

If we want better trophy fishing, we have to get regulations in place that facilitate that. Period. Berating people who are following the regs only serves to divide the angling population. There's no need - we can have our cake and eat it too if we realize that we're on the same team.

You can add me to the list of people who've fished Clear for a couple of years and never caught a real hog. I still think it's an awesome little lake, close to a lot of people, with good access and good fishing.

Last edited by rustynailz; 02-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:

and I get an infraction for my post for insulting a member, I dont quite get it somedays

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds