Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

I dont remember when they were caught last year. I wont be entering again, I wasnt impressed by the drunken donut spinning 3/4 ton pickups buzzing around the lake, and the piles of garbage all over the place. This year I am likely taking a friends kids out for their first time ice fishing and have some fun. Might hit Badger to catch up with some forum members sometime on the weekend, since its not far from home.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
A couple years ago the winning fish was caught before the Derby even started. A lot of P.O.'d guys on the ice that year.
kept alive ...how?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM

I heard that story as well, supposedly had a rope thru the gills and kept in the lake, the version I heard anyways. I was also not impressed that the draws were over and done with the Saturday before I was even done fishing, it was my first and probably last derby experience. The last day I went to another lake and fished.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I dont remember when they were caught last year. I wont be entering again, I wasnt impressed by the drunken donut spinning 3/4 ton pickups buzzing around the lake, and the piles of garbage all over the place. This year I am likely taking a friends kids out for their first time ice fishing and have some fun. Might hit Badger to catch up with some forum members sometime on the weekend, since its not far from home.
You're right Wayne, there were way too many idiots out there spinning donuts last year. Some guy had his auger in the back of his pick up and decided to spin a donut close to us, I think the auger caught about 15-20ft of air. Let's just say he had a tough time drilling holes after that!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I heard that story as well, supposedly had a rope thru the gills and kept in the lake, the version I heard anyways. I was also not impressed that the draws were over and done with the Saturday before I was even done fishing, it was my first and probably last derby experience. The last day I went to another lake and fished.

wow i guess i have a different view now...i was worried a huge egg laden female might abort or die under thestress of being caught and then crammed in a tupper ware container only to be bounced around in the back of a truck headed to the scales.. then be weighted and pose for pics......
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
kept alive ...how?
The Derby starts at 8:00 and the fish was brought in at 7:30. There was a room full of guys registering when the fish was brought in and they were not impressed. They allowed it and it won. Rumour has it that it was kept alive on a rope down a hole. I don't know this for sure but I can see it happening. It doesn't hurt knowing or being related to the people running the deby from what I've been told.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The Derby starts at 8:00 and the fish was brought in at 7:30. There was a room full of guys registering when the fish was brought in and they were not impressed. They allowed it and it won. Rumour has it that it was kept alive on a rope down a hole. I don't know this for sure but I can see it happening. It doesn't hurt knowing or being related to the people running the deby from what I've been told.

hahhahahaahahahhahahaha i was hoping to just meet a few of you....but...........flying augers , oval racing, drunks and cheaters..................i have 1 ticket for sale now..lol
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
Are any of the big Pike released during this derby ?
All fish must be released. If you purchase a ticket for the derby, you cannot keep any fish, even for eating. If a fish cannot be released it does not count.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
hahhahahaahahahhahahaha i was hoping to just meet a few of you....but...........flying augers , oval racing, drunks and cheaters..................i have 1 ticket for sale now..lol
it can be a complete gongshow CB. theres some much going on above those poor fish that week-end is a miracle any fish are brought in.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Hey wayne if you want to go to a derby you should try to hit the newel one this year. Usually is run pretty decent and can be a fun weekend with friends. I may head out with my buddy and stay in brooks for the weekend again for the newel derby this year. I will just sit in the truck and watch tip ups the whole time and make sure I have enough dvds to last the whole weekend.

Nate
Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey wayne if you want to go to a derby you should try to hit the newel one this year. Usually is run pretty decent and can be a fun weekend with friends. I may head out with my buddy and stay in brooks for the weekend again for the newel derby this year. I will just sit in the truck and watch tip ups the whole time and make sure I have enough dvds to last the whole weekend.

Nate
I was thinking about it, Id like to take my friends 2 little kids to Enchant that weekend too, but they wont be wanting to fish for long anyways for sure. I will have to check into the tickets and see for sure. Still kind of sour on the derby thing.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM

The good thing about the newel weekend is it is on the family day weekend normally. So you fish the derby for saturday and sunday and then you can take the 2 little gaffers to enchant on monday. We use to hit newel for the 2 days and then hit the beaver mines derby on the monday but I am not to sure if there is a derby out there this year.

nate
Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM

weathered the storm and got our tickets saturday. Great time never met a cranky person at this derby. Last year met a few members. Had a great time at the vulcan bar the one night the next morning not so much. Learned a lot of tricks going to these things. Who would have thought spiced rum and tea tastes that good. $40.00 worth the price of admission.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM

well i guess if it isnt my cup of tea...i can just leave.....note to self dont ride with son-drive my own truck
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM

almost positive you will have a good time. it is what you make of it. Liked watching the plane land and take off beside us last year...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Are any of the big Pike released during this derby ?
For the pike to count in the derby it has to be release live.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Smile

I was out there last year too. That plane landing on the lake was cool. I wonder if they were just dropping off a fish to weigh in? Just kidding. I doubt they were dropping off anything.

The organizers were out on quads with a cooler on the back taking fish back for people. You can get their phone number when you register and call if you catch a big one. They will run it in for you. The last day I was going in for a burger and they were bringing in one that was about 18 lbs. Just under the fifth place fish.

Here is some information from the Badger Derby website. I got my ticket from the Lamond bar across from the curling rink.

Over $10,000.00 in cash and prizes

1st Place Fish - $1500.00
2nd Place Fish - $700.00
3rd Place Fish - $500.00
4th Place Fish - $300.00
5th Place Fish - $200.00

DAILY DRAWS

One draw each day for:

Power Ice Auger
Underwater Viewing System
Fish Finder
G.P.S.
Ice Fishing Tent

Three draws each day for:

$100.00 Badger Bucks

Plus other daily draws

Prizes must be picked up within a year or will be forfeited back to the Badger Derby.

2011 Tickets

Tickets are available for purchase at:

Wholesale Sports Lethbridge
Lomond Hardware
Lomond Hotel

Ticket cost is $40.00 for a 3 day derby. Once ticket is purchased you are in the draw barrel for all draws. If unable to attend check website to see who won the prizes.

Have fun out there guys. I don't think I'll be doing it again this year.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
All fish must be released. If you purchase a ticket for the derby, you cannot keep any fish, even for eating. If a fish cannot be released it does not count.
Good to hear. I know nothing about the derby so was not sure. I caught a 46" Pike on a fly at Badger back in 1997, great experience and my biggest Pike ever. Big Pike should always be released to swim another day IMO
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM

there all released now
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM

What year was that New Hunter Okotoks?
Did it sell out yet?
Always a good time there. All pike released that are weighed and all participants are not suppose to keep anything.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. I know nothing about the derby so was not sure. I caught a 46" Pike on a fly at Badger back in 1997, great experience and my biggest Pike ever. Big Pike should always be released to swim another day IMO
Badger is not a large body of water. I would guess that most of the fish that get entered in the derby have been caught several times. IMO,If everyone who fished Badger kept even 1 pike of legal size it would be a dead lake in 2-3years.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
EXACTLY , l fished that derby once , was told to stop fishing at 3pm , and like other derbys expected to come in and wait for the draws , prizes the whole gang there .
Came in , no one there , except on fella cleaning up , l said what the hall , whens the draws , oh , they held them at 2 o,clock , if your names on the blackboard your a winner , well that didnt impress me one bit , l like to be in attendance and told what time it is , how do we know they dont draw names of their freinds or themselves for that matter when the majority is still on the lake.
Never even seen any prizes out on the table when l came in either , no hats no cups , nothing , wont be back to that one , for forty bucks , forget it , l,ll be at the crawling valley one tho , they do it right , and cheaper too.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 AM

i assume if you have them in a water filled cooler, that is a substitute for a livewell, thus they are released, and as Nicemustang said the fish that died on him didn't count
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Default newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post

Nate
imo the newell derby is a major gong show. way worse than the badger derby
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM

There is cheaters in every one of those derby's. I mean really, your going out to catch some fish and bs with your buds and have a good time fishing. Don't let that ruin it. I thought it was alright for yahoos. out of that many people out there do some of you really think you weren't going to see some chit?
I do admit that the garbage left behind was a crock though.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matathonman View Post
There is cheaters in every one of those derby's. I mean really, your going out to catch some fish and bs with your buds and have a good time fishing. Don't let that ruin it. I thought it was alright for yahoos. out of that many people out there do some of you really think you weren't going to see some chit?
I do admit that the garbage left behind was a crock though.
ya i agree some degree of turning the other cheek is needed at all public events.

but i hate to be run over by a truck doing donuts while i walk around picking up other peoples garbage
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Default coolers

I've always taken a 42" rubbermaid tub with lid. It's deep. Although I've never tried to fit a 50 incher in there I THINK it would curl in nicely enough to get it to the weigh in. Once it's there, the organizers take over weighing it and releasing it.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
ya i agree some degree of turning the other cheek is needed at all public events.

but i hate to be run over by a truck doing donuts while i walk around picking up other peoples garbage
I seen a few guys doing donuts with their pickups but not anywhere near people and I did not see anyone doing anything dangerous. That does not mean it didn't happen;I just didn't see it.The garbage........well that is another story.They need to put a few bins near the landing so people know there is a place to throw their garbage instead of leaving it on the lake. I think they need to place about 15 or 20 Porta Potties on the lake as well.

This is a fishing Derby with a LOT of guys out there in pickup trucks. I would be absolutely shocked if I did not see a few guys doing donuts! LOL!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
I've always taken a 42" rubbermaid tub with lid. It's deep. Although I've never tried to fit a 50 incher in there I THINK it would curl in nicely enough to get it to the weigh in. Once it's there, the organizers take over weighing it and releasing it.
your a seasoned badger derbier.....do they put out trash cans and porta potties?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Yes they put out trash bins and potties.
I have been going to The badger lake derby for more than 10 years. I have allway had a great time. I bring my son, he's 11 .to the last three. we go out thrusday night and go home sunday. he loves it. a good time with good friends. dangerest part is driving on the ice. or maybe a big pike bitting you when your trying to get the hook out. LOL
I think its as fare as any derby can be. I have had friend win draw prizes. and win money on big fish 28 lbs. really cool to see fish that big. I caught my biggest pike there .20lbs and didn't even make the board that year. did I have fun ? you bet ,
hope I see some of you there. I attach some pick of the derby.