Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM

can anyone pm me the directions to this lake, cant seem to find it.... thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Waiu

Google maps will show easy way in. Heading out with a group of friends tmrw. Will be about 20 of us. Time to load up on some big perch. If not the other little lakes nearby are almost untouched.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM

thar be pillage and plunder in them waters
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Kidding

Just rubbing salt in the wound with all the panic about lakes being named lol. Will stick to cross or long or baptiste or calling maybe orloff or slave. Might hit cold lake and island after ghost the finish the day off at north buck. Can't forget banna and fawcet.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM

ha right on. seems wiau is the sore spot of the season. this thread always has good readin!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Try honey lake south of laclabiche..... Oops!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM

Default Don't be sorry

You have zero reason to be sorry young fella. Directions and such are what these sites are for IMO.
People just get frustrated with how the interweb can ruin one of our few lakes.
I am guilty of it myself and I will always feel bad. A bunch of years ago no one even knew where Snipe lake was. I gave some directions and a bit of advice on where to go. At that time, 5 - 8 trucks on a saturday was a busy day for the lake. By the next winter, 30-50 trucks on a Monday was normal. That kind of pressure kills a perch fishery quick.
Hope you have fun at your new lake, and never feel guilty for asking a question.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo View Post
I am only 13 and i have been going fishing at Heart lake with my mom and dad since i was 1 year old, he has been fishing there since he was 12 and that is 32 years ago. He has hunted in that area for years and he just thought we might try a new lake so i thought i would try to find out how to get in here. I had Dad talk to the warden in Lac La Biche and he helped us with some directions. This forumn got a little off topic of directions and it doesn't look like anyone was willing to share. Sorry if i upset anyone by asking for directions.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Default Grayling through the ice???

Morning,
Found a pond in my Alberta backroads map that says its stocked with Grayling.How the heck do you catch them through the ice.???
Leaving in a few hours, so any quick info would be awesome.
Ken
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM

never ever had the chance to fish for grayling but id try some flys tipped with a maggot
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM

sorry guys,
meant to start a new post about the grayling. Losing my mind i guess.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Does no one use google earth anymore? It is by far the best tool for waterbody related information. If you mark your lake, you can use the directions tab and set your destination with your marker.

Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 AM

This is all just xxxxxxx?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 xxxxxx hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 01-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM

Very well said! You hit it right on the head!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillsfishing View Post
This is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines
Agreed x2. Have never been to this lake before, so could somebody just man up and give this poor kid some directions, all he wants to do is fish, the way you guys talk its no secret anyway. Just give him some damn directions, when I joined this forum I thought it was for sportsman to work together and help each other. Mostly what I have seen is a huge bitchfest.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned

Someone just say it already..... Oil has ruined the province.

BRAVO!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM

oil employs more than half the province.. oil has made alberta an awesome place to live.... dont like oil... move!

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
oil employs more than half the province.. oil has made alberta an awesome place to live.... dont like oil... move!
Thanks for agreeing with me. It has ruined fish and wildlife.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Default The problems are.....

Bottom line is due to the Alberta boom happening, the huge growth increase of Alberta's population, the excessive perch possession limits (and catch n release practices...nothing wrong with keeping 5 jumbos rather than 15 !!), the lack of Alberta lakes that have decent water depths and numbers compared to other provinces and of course the rapid word of mouth results in a complete fishery disaster. I have fished all of those lakes mentioned above and many many times I have released a 12 to 14 inch perch cause to me its the thrill of catching and not keeping my entire limit. Hey whats wrong with having 5 perch rather than 15 so maybe just maybe a kid can enjoy the thrill of his/her first time ice fishing adventure? Its time EVERYONE smartened the hell up and enjoyed the sport and not continuously slay the perch and bring home 15 perch each with 4 people per truck only to go back and do it again and again to fill their freezer. Take a picture or video, it lasts longer and be humble to enjoy a good fish fry rather than stock your freezers! And if you do find a gem, keep it quiet cause there are true sportsmen/women out there but they are surely outweighed by the greedy anglers. Its time we passed good angling ethics to our kids and next generation so maybe this province's fisheries can stand a chance for years to come. Another note is the fisheries should maybe introduce tag or draw systems for perch now so maybe they can raise enuff funds to start stocking perch into more lakes resulting in a healthy balance of forage vs predators like walleye, pike and humans. Another note is maybe aeration systems should be introduced into perch lakes as they are with trout lakes...just a thought..thank you, I am done my rant.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
this is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think i guy can take that much time off work to go up every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " i don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because i enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am i going to keep all the fish i catch? No why would i but i'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's i pay my taxes so i'll fish where ever i want and i do it with respect because i'm a good person. Also i never have kept my limit ever because i don't need fill my freezer i need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines
well said!!! 100% agreed!!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Agreed!!!

Quote:
This is all just bullsh?t you guys think it's the city guys coming and steeling all your fish. Give me a break we half to drive 4 fuc$ing hours to get there. How many times do you think I guy can take that much time off work to go up Every week. You baby's make me sick crying over something that's not yours in the first place. Your all grown men grow up stop acting like baby's, worst was " I don't go to wab so stay out of my back yard" are you kidding me bahahahahaha sad individuals man you guys fish it more then anyone from the city's because you live closer think about it. I plan on going up there and fishing that lake because I enjoy nature and the adventure of it all am I going to keep all the fish I catch? No why would I but I'm not like you why would you keep 6 walleye, because that's the limit. Why do you keep the limit you don't need 6 walleye 1,2, maybe 3, if there that big you don't need go keep your limit thats bull. All you guys need to grow up stop acting like children you don't own the lake it's not yours it's the people's I pay my taxes so I'll fish where ever I want and I do it with respect because I'm a good person. Also I never have kept my limit ever because I don't need fill my freezer I need shore lunch and that's it good day and tight lines
X100!

I do not know why people who think they live "close" enough to a lake or any other COMMON RESOURCE feel as though they are the only ones who should be allowed to benefit from its use to the exclusion of all others. To be honest I find it laughable when such small minded people (aka IDIOTS) present their thoughts on this forum!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM

Simply boils down to demand for perch outstripping supply of them.

How to correct this imbalance? I think we could start by having an understanding of 'Tragedy of the Commons.' ("In economics, the tragedy of the commons is the depletion of a shared resource by individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, despite their understanding that depleting the common resource is contrary to the group's long-term best interests.") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Actually, it's quite obvious from the posts here that many do understand this principle. Its the situation we are in today. It's not a happy one ...

A law of supply and demand is that when the cost of something decreases, more of it will be demanded. The opposite is also true. When the cost of something rises, less of it will be demanded. Right now the cost of obtaining perch is zero. I don't mean it doesn't cost time and money to get to a lake and buy gear etc. I mean no one pays more for a jumbo perch from a remote lake than they do for a stunted perch from a illegally stocked trout pond. They are both free (costless).

If it cost something (increasing with the desirability) to take fish from highly desirable waters, pressure on these waters would decline. Since they were less pressured fishing could remain good there longer. In the end more people might have a chance to catch SOME fish there than eventually no one being able to catch ANY at all because the lake collapses. Then it's good for no one.

Is such a state desirable? Achievable? I don't know. But the commons are being destroyed by a very simple, inflexible law. I think Alberta is now facing something European nations have grappled with for years. Maybe we need to look there for some ideas?

I bet I just breathed new life into this thread and I suspect I should be ducking for cover ...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
Simply boils down to demand for perch outstripping supply of them.

How to correct this imbalance? I think we could start by having an understanding of 'Tragedy of the Commons.' ("In economics, the tragedy of the commons is the depletion of a shared resource by individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, despite their understanding that depleting the common resource is contrary to the group's long-term best interests.") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Actually, it's quite obvious from the posts here that many do understand this principle. Its the situation we are in today. It's not a happy one ...

A law of supply and demand is that when the cost of something decreases, more of it will be demanded. The opposite is also true. When the cost of something rises, less of it will be demanded. Right now the cost of obtaining perch is zero. I don't mean it doesn't cost time and money to get to a lake and buy gear etc. I mean no one pays more for a jumbo perch from a remote lake than they do for a stunted perch from a illegally stocked trout pond. They are both free (costless).

If it cost something (increasing with the desirability) to take fish from highly desirable waters, pressure on these waters would decline. Since they were less pressured fishing could remain good there longer. In the end more people might have a chance to catch SOME fish there than eventually no one being able to catch ANY at all because the lake collapses. Then it's good for no one.

Is such a state desirable? Achievable? I don't know. But the commons are being destroyed by a very simple, inflexible law. I think Alberta is now facing something European nations have grappled with for years. Maybe we need to look there for some ideas?

I bet I just breathed new life into this thread and I suspect I should be ducking for cover ...
Mmm yah, nah I don't buy it. I'll stick with my original plan,, I won't fish out yer back door, you don't fish out of mine.. We don't need anybody driving over holes and pulling knives on each other. Stays pretty quiet out here when city stays home..
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Mmm yah, nah I don't buy it. I'll stick with my original plan,, I won't fish out yer back door, you don't fish out of mine.. We don't need anybody driving over holes and pulling knives on each other. Stays pretty quiet out here when city stays home..
I think Garry made a great analogy - tragedy of the commons fits the scenario perfectly. With regards to "you don't fish at my back door, I won't fish at yours"....that's pretty weak. As Alberta taxpayers we all have the right to fish anywhere we choose. That being said, we also have the duty to be stewards of the land...unfortunately a lot of people forget the second part.

It wouldn't be very nice if that logic was applied to hunting, would it? Don't ever come south and hunt our mule deer, and don't even THINK about hunting our Suffield elk! - stay in your own part of the province! Again...not a very good attitude, in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Yah but what you guys don't realise is that you are part of the outside crowd that has come in and ruined it.. Some of us were fishing on those lakes 30 years ago and kept it quite..

I don't go to Wabamun why do you come here ???? you stay in your back yard I'll stay in mine...
Wow. Pretty possessive of a crown resource aren't we? Unless that was a joke and I missed it.
Last time I checked, an Alberta fishing licence was good for the whole province.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
So if the fishing sucks in my part of the province i cant go to where the fishing is good? But i love fishing!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
Vancouver would welcome him!
So easy to bash oil. So difficult to get to the lake without it
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM

If a person loves fishing and the wilderness then that person lives out there.

If a person loves having neighbors and hanging around a crowded mall then that person lives in

Imagine how it feels to be the guy who chose to live out in the wilderness and one day your dealing with the city crowd taking the wilderness from your back yard.

I understand how (walleye) or other offended people feel but it isn't going to get any better unless you move another couple hundred miles farther north.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

Well shoot man I read on here how people treat each other out there, driving over holes, fishing on top of one another, swearing at each other, pulling knives, darn man,, I fished a lifetime with all my neighbours and never even came close to such a thing,, everyone respected the other guys space yah know.. You minded your business you let the neighbour worry about his, never stuck yer nose in what he was doing. All I am saying is keep it there.. Heck it's an even trade off, not trying to take away from you, I'll stay away from you, you stay away from me..
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Walleyes,
Hmm...So if I live and work in Ft.Mac for 14 days(Supporting the local economy and paying tax) and in Edmonton for 14 days(supporting the local economy and paying tax) I can go fishing where ever then....Because technically we are neigbours and I pay to live there to.
Not everyone is out there to wreck hunting and fishing but I guess the half of me being from the Big City,that half of me doesnt know squat.
There are a-hats from Small Towns, citys and the country that wreck it for everyone.
Living on a farm or being from Ft. Mac doesnt make you better or more ethical in the bush than me or anyone else for that matter. Tell me the last canoe trip you went on that was 22 days long or even 2 days. How many days did you hunt this year and yes walking in the bush and not only 10 feet out of your truck after work or that deer you saw in your field. I would be willing as a "City person" to put my Bush/Ethical wilderness skills on the line with you any day.
I mainly practice catch and release although I do enjoy eating fresh fish once in a while.(No offence to anyone who fishes responsibly and keeps fish).
I get irritated when people say "oh Im from a farm or the country and we are sooo much more ethical in the bush than city people. They wreck everthing for us and we are all angels." They all sound like a bunch of whiny, spoiled little kids.

And just for the record Ft.McMurray isnt the "Bush". It's just a Big town a little further north than Edmonton.

There my rant is finished,

IMO, JEHL75

P.s. - If someone has the reqested directions please give them to the kid. Everyone here talks about supporting our next generation and teaching them about the outdoors(keeping them off the xbox) but I guess that only happens if it doesnt impeed on your lake or the place you hunt.

Last edited by JEHL75; 01-18-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Tell him to wait on hwy 881 by plamondon and follow the crowd! 50% of the half tons are heading there guranteed!