Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Default Argo vs side by side

Wondering what machine would be better Argo or side by side. To be used for hunting and ice fishing. Always hear such bad things about Argo break downs. Wondering if this is a problem or that people bought old machines or did not do proper maintenance.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Neither are going to work well in deep snow but the Argo I think has the least amount of clearance so without tracks I think it would really struggle . A sxs will handle up to 10" before you get high centered. I had my ranger out this year for hunting and we had no problems in about 8" of snow. I am looking to put tracks on it too and think it will be pretty unstopable then The thing I really like with the Ranger too is how easy it is to get in and out of,something to consider when you are dressed in heavy clothes. Also the cargo box that tilts as a bonus. Oh ya and suspension you need that more and more as you get older and an Argo doesn't have any ,just balloon tires.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM

I bought a Canam SXS argos are to slow and uncomfortable
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

Neither. Your best bet, especially for ice fishing is a Suzuki Samurai with a bit of work done on it. Half the price and you can take it thru the Tim hortons drive thru.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Neither. Your best bet, especially for ice fishing is a Suzuki Samurai with a bit of work done on it. Half the price and you can take it thru the Tim hortons drive thru.
Great point, Kurt. Is perfect when you can find one in good shape...

The one thing I like about the Argos is that you can take more passengers along...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM
sheephunter

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Argos really start to shine when other vehicles can't go any further. If you are sticking to the trails a side by side is likely a better option but if you get off the trails, need something that can haul huge loads through the muskeg, haul 6 passengers, can float...then the Argo is the obvious choice. It really depends on how you plan on using them.

New Argos...with proper maintenance are very reliable.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM

They all have their good and bad points. I'm an Argo fan myself, and also always wonder about all the "Breakdown" horror stories. Right now I have a couple older Conquests (2004 and 1998), and they do require some preventative maintenance.... Oil Chains, Grease Bearings.
The newer machines are built "Heavier" than the older ones, but you can "Upgrade" an older machine to accept most of the heavier components (Axles, Bearings)
If speed is not an issue with you, and you want to haul rediculous heavy loads into places where you won't see any other people than an Argo might be for you.
In the Winter, tracks are required in anything more than about 8" of snow. There are a number of options in the track department, both for summer and winter. UHMW is the best "Summer/All Season" track material, and Rubber is the best "Winter" track material IMHO (Currently I have 6 sets of tracks Standard, Super, Rubber, UHMW, ect)
If you decide to go with Rubber Tracks, it is VERY important to pay attention to your tire pressures, and tire diameters (The same type of tires at the same pressure can be different diameters). Properly positioning of the tires is important to reduce "Chain Windup" issues. If you don't pay attention to this, you WILL have problems with chains, bearings, tensioners, ect, and you WILL have breakdowns.
There is a learning curve to running an Argo, but once you figure them out, they will go pretty much anywhere. The biggest pain I have with Argo's in the winter is their lack of ability to climb steep hills in powder. High Track Speed climbs hills, and Argo's DON'T have high track speed. Once you have a trail established, it's no problem.

I don't run Argo's for their Winter abilities, I run them for their Swamp/Muskeg/Water abilities, but they will get you around in the winter if you know what you're doing, and they will haul quite a bit of load.

RD
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM

We dragged 2 brand new Prowlers into get moose this year. There is no comparison between the 2 machines for off trail performance.

The one Prowler took the upgraded tire option. It performed better than the other guy who went with the HD lites

We pulled the lite guy out at least 20 times and the tire guy about 6. They have way more impact on the land imo.

We do not use tracks in the mts. They pop the beads off.....not fun. However....they are unstoppable in snow on tracks. We do not get a ton of snow up here but they perform fantastic in the snow. I don't do the mud bog thing very often.

I also would not want to run a sxs alone in the conditions we travel. It is much better to have a second person to leap around like a monkey and act as a counterweight etc.

If you are more likely on good cut lines or road infrastructure I can see how a sxs would be appealing and their top end and "comfort" level would be higher. Other than that....not so much.

Maintenance on the older machines is guaranteed. Mines named Pamela. Fun to ride but she is high very maintenance. Guy I hunt with is in a new one.....totally different level of machine. I will have one one day

I'm old and slow now.......argo all the way
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Argos really start to shine when other vehicles can't go any further. If you are sticking to the trails a side by side is likely a better option but if you get off the trails, need something that can haul huge loads through the muskeg, haul 6 passengers, can float...then the Argo is the obvious choice. It really depends on how you plan on using them.

New Argos...with proper maintenance are very reliable.
What's your experience with argos in muskeg? Good? I've wondered about an Agro for bombing through the really wet almost swampy mud stuff. The kind you stand in and sink up to your hips in almost paralyzing mud.

How far will an Agro take you? Just get you more stuck or would it still keep going?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
What's your experience with argos in muskeg? Good? I've wondered about an Agro for bombing through the really wet almost swampy mud stuff. The kind you stand in and sink up to your hips in almost paralyzing mud.

How far will an Agro take you? Just get you more stuck or would it still keep going?
With tracks I've been on floating muskeg that if you got out of the machine you were instantly up to your crotch in goo. Tires will take you just about anywhere...tracks will take you anywhere.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Argos suck.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM

I like the Argo. I have a conquest on plastic tracks and it will nearly walk on water.

I have had my machine in places that would make a quad disappear. Plus, I can throw a whole moose in the back.

I also am not sure why Argos get such a bad rap about breakdowns. Mine has never left me stranded. If you keep up with the scheduled maintenance they are a good machine. Plus, anybody can fix them when the time comes.

P
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post

I know you were not asking me, but thought I would chime in. I have a couple cabins on a remote fishing lake, 16kms from the nearest road. I promarily use Argo's to get the family in and out of there. There is a variety of terrain to cross, including creeks, muskeg, mud, ect.
Here is a clip I put together of part of the trail. You will see a new Argo Avenger traveling with me, trying to keep up with my 14yr old machine on tracks. The driver is very experienced, he knows he can't follow me through some places. The problem with this clip is that I make it look so easy........ there are no quad tracks on this trail for a reason, they can't go through here (yes they can make it in on other trails, or by weaving through the trees on side trails). To our collective knowledge (those of us with cabins out here), there have only been 2 sxs's out at this lake in the summer, and they were both pulled there with Argo's.
Now, as I said, they all have their good and bad points. Quads and sxs's will outshine Argo's in plenty of places, but the same holds true for AATV's outshining quads and sxs's in some places.

Before anyone cries Animal Abuse, let it be known that the dogs are fine. They run or ride with me at their own choice, both of them know how to stop me and get in if they want to (most of the time they prefer to run around and chase chickens and rabbits)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcvgDKOJZ4

RD
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM

My wife prefer's to ride her quad, and that's fine, it just means I have to pull her through some of the bad spots. In this shot, we were riding over a mat of floating vegitation, she fell through

RD
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
My wife prefer's to ride her quad, and that's fine, it just means I have to pull her through some of the bad spots. In this shot, we were riding over a mat of floating vegitation, she fell through

RD
Wow she looks so happy that you stopped to take a picture there. I hope you kept your distance for a few hours!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
In this shot, we were riding over a mat of floating vegitation, she fell throughRD
I'm guessing that's why she's packing the lunch... As insurance that you'll come back to pull her out...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM
waylow

Those Japanese mini trucks are awesome, but nothing beats a good horse for packing out game, or getting into those tough areas.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
With tracks I've been on floating muskeg that if you got out of the machine you were instantly up to your crotch in goo. Tires will take you just about anywhere...tracks will take you anywhere.
Ive seen your youtube vids..Argos look fun.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 AM

They each have their place I guess, but for the serious offroad, swamps, hauling heavy, its hard to beat a argo IMO.
We have taken some big moose out of the Alberta north country that were still in excess of 1000 lbs after being field dressed and once loaded were brought out of the bush in 1 trip in the back of my 8 wheel argo, threw the swamps, floating across beaver ponds (be very careful with that much weight, yes they still float). First off, having to float across the pond is where anything else stops.
Otherwise a side X side may haul it out in 2 trips if your lucky.

As far as maintenance goes, my argo is a 1991 8 wheeled magnum and has just shy of 1000 hours, besides regular maint the only thing I have replaced is wheel seals and bearings. I have 2 quads with less than 1/2 the hours and each have required as much or more maintenance.

Speaking of quads, they have their place in hunting, as I have dragged elk out with them, but would never even consider it for northern Alberta Moose hunting. I guess if thats all you have you make due...with a side X side or quad.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 AM

With any luck I'll be cruising through the couple of feet of snow (18" rubber tracks) here with a cow elk in the back of my Argo on Saturday!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
wheel seals and bearings.
That about sums it up

On the Winter project list every year.
Medium use in the Spring.
Good goin' over in the Summer.
Beat the crap out of it in the Fall.

Managed to flip mine this Fall

She ran well for the next 80 miles till we put her away. A lil' extra to do this Winter tho

Coincidentally, if anyone wants to know the proper way to haul a bull moose down a mountain with an argo drop me a line. I can tell you how to do it and how not to do it
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
As far as maintenance goes, my argo is a 1991 8 wheeled magnum and has just shy of 1000 hours, besides regular maint the only thing I have replaced is wheel seals and bearings. .
If you're interested, you can look into changing out the old style small axle bearings and Lip Seals with the newer HDI Bearings. The new bearings are much larger, and tripple sealed (They have done away with the axle lip seals now). If you do it through attrition, as your current bearings fail, it's not so bad on the pocket book. I've changed all the bearings out on one of my Conquests, and am more than happy with them. I even made a couple vids on how to do it.
You can get adapter plates for changing over your Magnum from a place called Adair Argo, to make the switch easier if you want.
The new Bearing Carriers are made of steel, not aluminium like the old ones, which is also a bonus.

RD
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
Those Japanese mini trucks are awesome, but nothing beats a good horse for packing out game, or getting into those tough areas.
where these guys are talking about going....a horse is beyond useless. that swampy muskeg is brutal for even a person to try to walk through, but a machine will ride right on top of it. try to take a horse there and you better have it equipped with a big winch.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
where these guys are talking about going....a horse is beyond useless. that swampy muskeg is brutal for even a person to try to walk through, but a machine will ride right on top of it. try to take a horse there and you better have it equipped with a big winch.
No a grave marker would be more useful.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM

When my argo had approx 400 hours I replaced all bearings and seals worn out mostly due to what I believe was the lack of greasing. And once the seals start leaking and water gets into the bearing they wear out quickly. The rear axle on both sides were also worn (erosion) on the shafts. The owners manual called for (IIRC) a couple of shots of grease every 25??? hours which was not enough.
What I've done ever since is grease the seals on a regular basis, a few pumps with the grease gun prior to every trip out, and when I put it away for the year I pump each nipple with grease until I push out all/any discolored grease through the bearing and see clean grease (and clean up the excess). At approx 700 hours, because (I believe the worn rear axles) I had to replace only the rear axles/bearings/seals and added the (then) upgraded aluminum flange with the dual seal/nipple arrangement and not looked back since. I believe you need to diligently grease the seal cavity, the last thing you want is moisture ingress into the bearing.

I will certainly entertain any new upgrades if further bearing replacement is required.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Over the past 30 or so years I have owned an Argo, a quad a side by side, and several snowmobiles. I have sold off all of the toys, just never got enough use out of them in recent years.
However I am thinking of getting back into the game again, and my ATV of choice would be the ARGO. I can carry the whole family in and there isn't to much terrain that it cannot conquer. My ARGO was the best machine I had as it was the most versatile unit I ever owned. They do require more preventative maintenance however when maintained properly the machine was an awesome piece of equipment.

Regards,
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
Where many of us live, a horse is a very big expense as far as upkeep and storage goes.
Argos and other equipment can be parked and left until they are needed!
Not to mention the part about grave markers and muskeg!!
Cat
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM

For the same price as a new Argo you could buy a Hagglund. They float, ride better, carry more weight, will climb over much bigger obstacles and if need be you can camp out of the rear car.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

I have never seen an argo that did not have issues new or old! Last year we had a brand new demo from an agro dealer, on the second day we had to tow it out with the quads. IMO argos are way over priced and are junk. There is nowhere that an argo get that you can get a quad or UTV into if you know what you are doing with it, other that deep water, but then the agro sucks in water unless you have a kicker on it. I have winched many a argo out of muskeg with my quad, after doing a few laps around it while laughing.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk View Post
I have never seen an argo that did not have issues new or old! Last year we had a brand new demo from an agro dealer, on the second day we had to tow it out with the quads. IMO argos are way over priced and are junk. There is nowhere that an argo get that you can get a quad or UTV into if you know what you are doing with it, other that deep water, but then the agro sucks in water unless you have a kicker on it. I have winched many a argo out of muskeg with my quad, after doing a few laps around it while laughing.
Now that right there is some funny stuff....lol