Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Ebay bows

I often see Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt etc.. compounds being sold on ebay. These are new bows with tags etc.... Has anyone bought from this source ? The prices seem pretty good now that the dollar is doing well.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
I often see Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt etc.. compounds being sold on ebay. These are new bows with tags etc.... Has anyone bought from this source ? The prices seem pretty good now that the dollar is doing well.
My brother bought a bowtech from ebay a few years ago - new from a store. The bow was perfect, no hassles, and was quite a bit cheaper than up here. Now with the dollar where it is, I dont think you can go wrong.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

I bought a bow there when the dollar was only at 92 cents and I still saved over $200.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I've bought my last three bows off of ebay and have never had an issue. I usually get dinged at the boarder and end up paying the gst but the one I ordered over christmas came through unnoticed. That being said when your getting a 1k bow for four hundred bucks an extra twenty or thirty bucks doesn't mean much. If you do buy one though make sure they aren't sending it ups or fed ex... both of those outfits will charge you brokerage fees and gst that will be over a hundred bucks.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 PM

thanks for pointing this option out to me you ?????, you cost me $350. I just bought my wife a PSE Chaos, set up.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-26-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
thanks for pointing this option out to me you ????, you cost me $350. I just bought my wife a PSE Chaos, set up.
atta boy swifty. my wife is a great hunting partner. i hope yours is good for you too.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 PM

She just gave birth to our daughter on Friday, i am in the process of convincing her that archery will help her get back her pre baby body.

She does like to hunt though, rifle only thus far, but hopefullywe can make that transition together.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I've bought my last three bows off of ebay and have never had an issue. I usually get dinged at the boarder and end up paying the gst but the one I ordered over christmas came through unnoticed. That being said when your getting a 1k bow for four hundred bucks an extra twenty or thirty bucks doesn't mean much. If you do buy one though make sure they aren't sending it ups or fed ex... both of those outfits will charge you brokerage fees and gst that will be over a hundred bucks.
I have never paid 100 brokerage on 400 cost, I dont know who you are using. Thats 25% tax.

If you can, always have them send USPS. UPS is getting better now that Purolator took over.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I have Ken, UPS has a habit of ripping off it's customers. My dad ordered a $30 part for his vette, and my mom payed for it at the door thinking it was COD. Turns out that it was "brokerage fees" that mom payed, as dad payed via credit card before the part was shipped. Brokerage works out to your normal taxes and duty, plus UPS's ridiculous amount for administering it all.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

i have been shafted twice on brokerage...both times that exact number. i was told it was the size of the package and not the value that determined cost. one was a mountaiin bike and one was a replacement dash for an old chevy truck. the bike was 450 cost, 100 brokerage. the dash 280 cost, 95 brokerage. i was not impressed even a little bit.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Ship via USPS and you're good to go.

Most bow companies will void the warranty if not purchased through a dealer, and some bow companies do not allow dealers to sell online. Something to consider.

That being said, I think Archerytalk is still about the best place to find good deals online for archery equiptment...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM

I've bought 4 bows online. 2 new Bear Truths a few years ago, for friends,and 2 used Bowtechs. One of the Bears recently had a limb issue and needed new limbs. My local dealer stood behind me, contacted Bear and replaced the limbs under warranty. We paid shipping and for the dealer to replace and set up.

The 2 used bows were unbelievable deals that I would buy again in a heartbeat! Both were purchased on eBay and paid for with Paypal. No issues whatsoever.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Just a thought guys

You save a few hundred bucks buying off ebay great, but when and if you need service on that bow, where do you take it to? I have been at the local archery shop where guys come in with a bow they just bought from ebay and want us to fix it. They bitch and moan about paying shop rates to get it fixed because it is a new bow. Prob is it is a new bow, but was not bought at the local shop. The shops around alberta will stand behind any bow they sell, and look after the customer. Policy at the local shop if you buy it there we look after you no extra costs to customer if something goes wrong, warranty work is taken care of asap..... Oh yeah Warranty, PSE, Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech........all state any bow bought over the internet voids warranty....

Support the little guys they will be there to stand behind you and work for you if and when you have probs.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Just a thought guys

You save a few hundred bucks buying off ebay great, but when and if you need service on that bow, where do you take it to? I have been at the local archery shop where guys come in with a bow they just bought from ebay and want us to fix it. They bitch and moan about paying shop rates to get it fixed because it is a new bow. Prob is it is a new bow, but was not bought at the local shop. The shops around alberta will stand behind any bow they sell, and look after the customer. Policy at the local shop if you buy it there we look after you no extra costs to customer if something goes wrong, warranty work is taken care of asap..... Oh yeah Warranty, PSE, Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech........all state any bow bought over the internet voids warranty....

Support the little guys they will be there to stand behind you and work for you if and when you have probs.

Do you do warranty work on bows bought at shops other than yours from Alberta or only bows bought from your shop?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 PM

" You save a few hundred bucks "

I'd say that is a pretty huge savings. I do feel that supporting your local shops is important but should the cost of the bows be a few hundred bucks more ?

However, if a bow from ebay is brought to a shop for service paying full shop rates is indeed fair and anyone complaining about it should shut their pie hole.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM

I just bought a new 2010 PSE Bow Madness from an Ebay store called American Archery.
Got a good price even compared to the US retail on the PSE website and he set the Draw Weight and Length for me before he shipped it. It got here in exactly 7 days coming from Georgia. Cost 25 bucks to ship.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

try Accurate archery in spruce grove, Lawernce has awsome prices he is 40 to 100 bucks cheaper than everyone else. including the big box stores.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:33 AM

I decided to support the little guy and I got nothing but grief!!! So supporting local shops can still cost you. Buying out of the states gives a guy a good deal and you know what I am still paying shop rates to get my bow tuned but at least I know it is getting done right now
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM

I have a hard time buying stuff off ebay after being screwed a few times... but a few in a 100 purchases aint bad. And considering I have been screwed just as much if not more times in person, go ahead and save a couple hundred bucks buying online but u cant expect someone local to fix ur bow when u break it for free.

I may buy the gfs bow online though... a few hundred bucks buys alot of sweet accessories... Since introducing her to hunting I cant keep her out of it lol. I have spent probly 6 or 7 grand on new equiptment/trips alone and expanded my hunting stuff ten fold! She is always pushing me to buy more stuff. lol This ones seems like a keeper for sure.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Ya online is the way to go i think, for the hundreds of dollars you save you can easily go to the lanes and get what ever you need done.And for the things you will likely get done you will have to pay for anyways regardless of where you purchased it.Im not saying boycott the lanes, they are great guys to have on your side and usually good people to bullsh!t with. I personally saved over 700 bucks for a practically new setup compared to a new setup at the lanes though and my money is to hard comeby to justify supporting the little guy with that amount of money.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM

I bought a Diamond Marquise off of ebay and paid around 420 for it after all was said and done. It saved me a lot of money but ended up having to get a stabilizer insert put in since it was missing it, also they were supposed to send me a draw length module and that took almost 2 months to get in. I still saved a lot of money on it, but it wasn't as smooth of a transaction as I was hoping.