Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Early season fly patterns

Hey guys, although I’ve had my fly gear for many years, I’m still very new to the game. What are some of your go to patterns early season. Was on Muir lastnight and enjoyed watching all the trout jumping around but I would really like to catch one, too lol. To be honest I think part of my problem is I’m not knowledgeable about what hatches occur when or even what some of my Many flys are are trying to imitate. The only presentation I seem to be successfull with is a leech or chronomide with a strike indicator. Any advise is appreciated. Lastnight I tried a chronomide with indicator, leech, and I trolled a minnow with a sinking tip line. I also use a few dry flies but sadly can’t tell you what the names of them are.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:00 AM
Banned

I'm not any better than you are skills or fly ID wise. My dad got me a book to help. It more deals with the tying side of things but it will still help with the fly ID. It lists what species the flies are generally for and gives some good pictures.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ly-tying-bible
Old 05-17-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Hey guys, although I’ve had my fly gear for many years, I’m still very new to the game. What are some of your go to patterns early season. Was on Muir lastnight and enjoyed watching all the trout jumping around but I would really like to catch one, too lol. To be honest I think part of my problem is I’m not knowledgeable about what hatches occur when or even what some of my Many flys are are trying to imitate. The only presentation I seem to be successfull with is a leech or chronomide with a strike indicator. Any advise is appreciated. Lastnight I tried a chronomide with indicator, leech, and I trolled a minnow with a sinking tip line. I also use a few dry flies but sadly can’t tell you what the names of them are.
I'm kind of confused here. First you say you would like to catch one but then you say you are successful with a leech or chironomid under an indicator. Well, that is exactly what I would be using this time of year! The ones you see jumping are probably the little stocked dinkies. They may take a shallow chironomid or micro leech, say a few feet under an indicator?
Old 05-17-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Chironomids, blood worms, scuds, leeches and backswimmers, all work early season. I would not tie on a backswimmer unless I saw some swimming around, but when they are on, the fishing can be spectacular. Dry flies on lakes are a tough go, the fish have to long to inspect them.

If we are recommending books..... For Alberta still waters, I consider this the bible.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Patterns-S.../dp/B01K8ZFGXC

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 05-17-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Early season fly

Caught the first trout of the season this morning. It was a beautiful 5 lber. Did a quick throat pump and set it free. It was loaded with dragonfly nymphs. Caught it on a size 12, ‘52 Buick.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Caught the first trout of the season this morning. It was a beautiful 5 lber. Did a quick throat pump and set it free. It was loaded with dragonfly nymphs. Caught it on a size 12, ‘52 Buick.
No pic, no proof.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Early season fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
No pic, no proof.
Sorry, being a old guy with not the best in tech savvy, I don’t know how to show pictures on the forum. Would rather get it back in the water, than take a chance of killing it taking pictures anyway. Believe it or not, doesn’t matter to me.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 05-17-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: More I fo
Old 05-17-2020, 07:31 PM

Me too .HEALTHY FISH RELEASED,IS BETTER THAN A FU ING PICTURE.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Sorry, being a old guy with not the best in tech savvy, I don’t know how to show pictures on the forum. Would rather get it back in the water, than take a chance of killing it taking pictures anyway. Believe it or not, doesn’t matter to me.
Fair enough. But I always measure length and girth rather than guessing weight, then you can get a good estimate on weight.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Me too .HEALTHY FISH RELEASED,IS BETTER THAN A FU ING PICTURE.
No need to shout or swear! Have a beer and relax!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Early season

Quote:
Fair enough. But I always measure length and girth rather than guessing weight, then you can get a good estimate on weight.
Weighed it while it was still in the rubber net. Lifted the net out of the water with the fish in it. A quick throat pump while in the water too. 10-12 seconds tops. Didn’t touch the trout. Back in the water, popped the fly out, and it was on its way. Had my scale set to allow for the net to give an accurate weight. No desire what so ever to kill a beautiful fish like that. Your way works great too. I’ve done it that way. Actually a very accurate way of determining a fishes weight. Either way it’s nice to see them swim off healthy. I always think of what it would be like to see a young angler catch that fish someday.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 05-17-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-17-2020, 09:33 PM

From Phil Rowley's website.
http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=127

Old 05-18-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of confused here. First you say you would like to catch one but then you say you are successful with a leech or chironomid under an indicator. Well, that is exactly what I would be using this time of year! The ones you see jumping are probably the little stocked dinkies. They may take a shallow chironomid or micro leech, say a few feet under an indicator?
*in past experiences* I’ve been successful On a leech or chronomide pattern.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice. That chart helps a lot. I was short on time and didn’t do any research yet so I went back to what I know lastnight. chronomides/leeches/worms w/ an indiactor. Caught nothing in that 2hr period. Decided to ditch the indicator and troll with a leech on the way back to the launch. Success!!!! Landed 2 rainbows and lost one. Thanks again guys For chiming in. It seems like I’m using some of the right stuff. Now just gotta spend some time learning to use all my other flies.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:58 AM

Biggest thing I’ve learned lately is leeches really need to be horizontal in presentation.
Makes a huge difference under and indicator.
Best chroni colors for my area are black, green, grey, and red.

Next big thing in most lakes will be damsel flies....

Rivers have cleared up here cause of the cold... so I’m huntin for dryfly action.... which is hard....

They also stocked most of my lakes down here.... so it’s dink city. Can’t keep them buggers off.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Never rule out baitfish patterns so many who fly fish trout overlook bait fish patterns. It is a year round food source and all trout will take baitfish. Not always a top producer but it can result in some quality fish.

All the above suggestions are good as well.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:51 AM

Default Early season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Biggest thing I’ve learned lately is leeches really need to be horizontal in presentation.
Makes a huge difference under and indicator.
Best chroni colors for my area are black, green, grey, and red.

Next big thing in most lakes will be damsel flies....

Rivers have cleared up here cause of the cold... so I’m huntin for dryfly action.... which is hard....

They also stocked most of my lakes down here.... so it’s dink city. Can’t keep them buggers off.
If you look on line, or perhaps at some of the more quality fly shops, you can find balanced leech patterns. I like them because they sit horizontal when tied on due to the eye of the hook sitting 90 degrees to the shaft.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
No need to shout or swear! Have a beer and relax!
yeah!! Or go back to self isolation!!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 PM

Some of you accused me of swearing.Suck it up sunshine.If that is swearing.My god..Secondly I am tired of see our fish tasked we trying to survive,out of there environment.I wish some of you so calledphotographers.Would try this.Stop breathing,once you take ,your fish out of the water.When you put it back in ,you can breathe.

Some of you guys wonder why there are dead fish,found floating in the spring.I would beta very high% of releases,where a photo was taken .The fish die.