Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Stillwater Catch Rate and shallow chironomids

Hi all,

The last few days I have been fishing small Chironomids (size 16-18) under an indicator and having success getting fish to the boat; however, I feel like my catch rate could be greatly improved and my 10 fish days could turn into 30 or more. I either am too late setting the hook or within two seconds the fish throws the hook. I feel like I land 20-30% of the fish that strike one of my flies. Is this similar to others? Especially when using small flies? I pay close attention to keeping a tight line, having a firm hook set, and watching my indicator, so i feel like my mechanics are right on, just need more practice setting the hook at the slightest movement of the indicator.

On another note, any tips for fishing Chironomids in shallow water (< 5’ deep)? I was able to hook a few fish in deeper water, but seemed like a lot of fish feeding on Chironomids near the surface in shallow water, but I found it difficult to catch fish shallow. A throat sample indicated fish feeding on a couple of different chironomid sizes and colours, so it was difficult to key in and get consistent action.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:33 PM

What hook are you using?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:49 PM

These smaller chironomids I have been tying on togens scud hooks.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Hooks like that with a large gap and short shank should be good. Has this been happening consistently over several days? I find that some days (or even times of the day) the feeding will be less aggressive and I'll miss many takes on whatever fly I'm using, but at other times they seem more committed and I hook up every time.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Hard to know exactly but, sometimes they cruise by the indicator and bump your line and can get foul hooked....which quickly pulls out. Have you ever had a scale on your hook?

Are you using the Togens scud hook or the 3x Heavy scud hook?
Do you ever have issues with the hooks bending/opening up?

Looking to replace some Tiemcos
Old 05-18-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Hard to know exactly but, sometimes they cruise by the indicator and bump your line and can get foul hooked....which quickly pulls out. Have you ever had a scale on your hook?

Are you using the Togens scud hook or the 3x Heavy scud hook?
Do you ever have issues with the hooks bending/opening up?

Looking to replace some Tiemcos
No scales. I’m thinking they are just light takes. Yes togens 3X heavy, but I am stopping using those for chironomids as I want my chironomids more slender.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Hooks like that with a large gap and short shank should be good. Has this been happening consistently over several days? I find that some days (or even times of the day) the feeding will be less aggressive and I'll miss many takes on whatever fly I'm using, but at other times they seem more committed and I hook up every time.
The last couple days at a specific lake. The lake is fairly small with a large density of 12-14” fish (pre-stocking). It seems like the fish can throw the hook after one or two light head shakes, and they feel like this smaller size class. I seem to be able to set the hook and land larger fish (> 14”) easier. Maybe just less aggressive fish that have a large amount of food available (I did a throat sampling and there was easily 5+ different chironomid sizes and colours plus damsel and may fly nymph, and a water boatman), that makes sense to me. I think I just need to do a better job of setting the hook right when the indicator moves. Only seem to have this problem with chironomids lately, not leeches, nymphs, etc...
Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 PM

Set on any vibration.
I use old corkies and a toothpick. Sometimes the toothpick just leans over a bit, or the corkie vibrates...set the hook
Old 05-19-2020, 03:53 PM

Tie your #16 scuds on size 12 hooks. Use the materials to create a smaller fly on a larger hook. A good trick when fishing small flies.

J
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 AM

sometimes its the little things that make the difference

i will open face of hook just a bit

sharpen your hook helps

even changing the knot used

losing 4# Lake Whitefish but 7 in a row

next day after these tweak's

7 caught n released in a row

aaahhh such is fishing

food for thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10562607_10152190768555776_5706248692775636509_o.jpg (58.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
Tie your #16 scuds on size 12 hooks. Use the materials to create a smaller fly on a larger hook. A good trick when fishing small flies.

J
Good suggestion, thanks! I tied up some #15 or #16 sized chironomids on a size 12 Daichi scud hook the other night and had a great day on the water today.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM

I also had some increased success using that tactic. I tied a few size 16 chironomids on size 14 scud hooks and feel like my catch rate improved a bit. May try moving to size 12. Great tip! I do need to continue to improve my reaction time to my indicator moving however.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I also had some increased success using that tactic. I tied a few size 16 chironomids on size 14 scud hooks and feel like my catch rate improved a bit. May try moving to size 12. Great tip! I do need to continue to improve my reaction time to my indicator moving however.
Any unusual movement, no matter how slight, do as Brian Chan says, try to rip the hook out of their mouths!
Old 05-25-2020, 03:32 PM

Default Atomic Ant

Hi: Not exactly a reply to your question, but I've had success using a foam body Atomic Ant in the place of a bobber. I skitter it along the surface triggering interest and potentially a strike on either the Ant or the chironomid beneath.

Hoopi
Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 PM

It could be the way your setting the hook. When my indicator goes under, I give a long steady pull on the line and a slow rod raise. You don't need to give a fast, violent jerk on the rod or line. Also, make sure you maintain a tight connection. Keep your rod tip near, if not just under the water and use a very slow hand twist retrieve to take up any slack between you and the indicator.