Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 AM

Default crossbow vs. conventional archery

Got a question for you all. I'm 40 years old and after countless injuries I find at the range after about 8 or 10 arrows my shoulder starts to cramp and seize up. I've always looked at crossbows as kind of cheating and that most guys who have special licenses are usually BS artists. Now that I'm in a position that I can no longer comfortably fire my bow I'm kind of thinking of looking into getting permission for a crossbow.
What's your take on it?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 AM

Do whatever you have to do to stay in the feild. You don't sound like the kind of guy thats trying to abuse the system.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 AM

Default bow

When I get to the point where I can't draw my bow I'll take up black powder. I'll move into the rifle season and find a nice hidey hole where I can use my archery skills to get my animals to 20 yards and use the smoke pole.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot to hunt View Post
Got a question for you all. I'm 40 years old and after countless injuries I find at the range after about 8 or 10 arrows my shoulder starts to cramp and seize up. I've always looked at crossbows as kind of cheating and that most guys who have special licenses are usually BS artists. Now that I'm in a position that I can no longer comfortably fire my bow I'm kind of thinking of looking into getting permission for a crossbow.
What's your take on it?
whats your draw weight right now?

ive seen elk killed with bows set at 45#.....if you are still pulling 70# i would try crankin her down a bit first

if you take the crossgun route i wouldnt blame you. You will have to prove you cant pull a bow anymore and that you will never recover from the injury.

I dont mind them granting permission for crossbows to people with injuries. Sucks when guys abuse it but what can you do? people are gonna be people
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

I am sorry to hear about you situation. My dad has a cross bow and trust me when I say you are going to have to jump through hoops to get a license. Allso there is NO advantage to a crossbow other than it is cocked and ready to go. I can shoot way further than a crossbow with my compound bow. I wish you luck on your license as I know it would suck not to be able to go hunting till rifle if you even use one.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
I am sorry to hear about you situation. My dad has a cross bow and trust me when I say you are going to have to jump through hoops to get a license. Allso there is NO advantage to a crossbow other than it is cocked and ready to go. I can shoot way further than a crossbow with my compound bow. I wish you luck on your license as I know it would suck not to be able to go hunting till rifle if you even use one.
I thought they simplified the process this year.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I thought they simplified the process this year.
Yup, they defiantly did. 2 of FIL buddies now have permits, and they think it's hilarious, they don't have any injuries, just a good doctor note.

On a side note, they also Said Srd doesn't require xbow hunters to purchase a bowhunting permit, don't know how true that is? Or why if they can hunt during archery season with their permit???

Last edited by pottymouth; 09-28-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

I did not know that. I don't care if they did. I just don't think anybody that has no injury should be using them.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yup, they defiantly did. 2 of FIL buddies now have permits, and they think it's hilarious, they don't have any injuries, just a good doctor note.
I'd be interested in knowing how they make out this year. Would you let us know?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot to hunt View Post
What's your take on it?
8 or 10 arrows every morning is plenty. Shouldn't need to practice more than that.