Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 AM

Default Spring Bear 2016 and Best Memories

-How many are Spring bear hunting this spring..?
-If baiting when are you starting?
- Best past memories?

Been bowhunting Bear for around 40 years as well as guiding for bear for 30 years, have been lucky and fourtunate enough to harvest 30 plus bears in Alberta all with bow...have never taken one with a firearm...many were on foot and before Baiting was legal, baiting Black bear became legal in 1987 and changed things dramatically...

Some were harvested not so much on the lucky side, took one on the charge just feet away coming at me [may have been more curiousity than aggression], took them in trees, me in trees, a handful problem bears...and quite a few on foot stalking...the other half would be baiting the "easy" way to bow hunt bear [not as easy as it sounds!]

But saw a lot of antics, took some very nice bears, had bears come up into stand and smell boot, seen every color black bear imaginable, shot one high in a tree it seemed like the second I released the arrow it was at my feet stone cold, seen them do circus acts and every silly thing imaginable also...

My fondest memory was probably my first book bear..a 500 lb plus that turned my legs into rubber...

I havent purposly hunted black bears for a few years but I sure enjoy hearing, reading sstorys and seeing pictures of other bowhunters I am also betting there a a few good storys out there..

Neil
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Considering going after them for the first time this year....though I seem to remember a saying about poking a bear with a stick lol. Last year when scouting I saw a black bear who's back was level with the hood of my truck, feeding in broad daylight in July. Didn't have much to be scared of I guess.

The 308 is coming. So is the 870 marine. The bow will stay strapped to my pack until I get safely into my stand. And should one make an appearance prior to me sitting in a tree, the hills will sound like Syria for a couple minutes, and his hide will be ready for use on a dream catcher.

Would be a heck of a thing to get one with a bow. Figure on predator calling from a stand, or maybe burning a pot of syrup. Easier than dragging barrels and dog food around in the mud for one guy. Anyone else?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Would like to try this year... If I wasn't such a wuss. Sure enjoy reading about your experiences, Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
And should one make an appearance prior to me sitting in a tree, the hills will sound like Syria for a couple minutes, and his hide will be ready for use on a dream catcher.
This line made the thread for me, right there!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Last year was my first hunting bear period, was in the stand for 14 sits, had my target bear come in at 6pm one night and I shot low just grazing him. Had a giant sow on my walkout trail one night, had another bear climb the tree and lay under my stand another night. Loved every single minute of it and I've been thinking about that missed shot all year. It's a cool feeling when you know a bear is back in the trees skirting the bait, knowing your there. Baiting will start mid to late April dependent on the weather.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 PM

I can't wait to get my bait fired up again this spring. I usually try to get everything set up by the beginning of May but this year I can probably start a little earlier. Not sure if I'll see any action early but it can't hurt. Probably the most memorable time bear hunting would have to be spring of 2010. I manage to shoot my target bear with one of my best buddies sitting with me. It was his first time in the stand so needless to say he was a little on edge. Especially when we had about 8 different bears at the bait and about 3 were trying to climb the stand. The big guy walk in and I shot him at 15 yards. After some high fives it was a 40 yard track job and he crashed right on the quad trail. Pics are not the best.

Last edited by Rage86; 02-18-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM

Would love to try and get out for a spring bear archery hunt this year. Never hunted bear before, but I do like the taste!

On that note, may be looking for a spot and stalk partner in the future lol
Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 AM

uploadfromtaptalk1456052323427.jpg

Here's a pic of my first bear. Took it spot and stalk. The hunt was donated to the soldier on program by groat creek outfitters
Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Just love bear hunting, once you start guaranteed you'll be hooked. Don't know if I'm going to have time to bait this year but will for sure be out there for some spot and stock.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:17 AM

This was a great hunt the bear on left is a good bear the one on the right is huge...4'X8' trailer deck...

Was using prototype Sonic heads then... with the big one pass thru and eight inches in sandy soil...down in sight!

Neil
Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Correction deck is 6'X 8' Ft...
Old 02-23-2016, 12:56 PM

The Atheist and the Bear
An atheist was taking a walk through the woods. 'What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!', he said to himself.
As he continued walking alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes. Turning to look, he saw a 7 foot grizzly charging towards him....
He ran as fast as he could up the path. Looking over his shoulder he saw that the bear was closing in on him. His heart was pumping frantically and he tried to run even faster.
He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear raising his paw to take a swipe at him.
At that instant the atheist cried out: 'Oh my God!...'
Time stopped.
The bear froze.
The forest was silent.
It was then that a bright light shone upon the man and a voice came out of the sky saying:
'You deny my existence for all of these years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?'
The atheist looked directly into the light.
'It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps, could you make the BEAR a Christian?'
'Very well, 'said the voice. The light went out, and the sounds of the forest resumed.
And then the bear lowered his paw, bowed his head and spoke: 'Lord, bless this food which I am about to receive and for which I am truly thankful, Amen.'
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
This was a great hunt the bear on left is a good bear the one on the right is huge...4'X8' trailer deck...

Was using prototype Sonic heads then... with the big one pass thru and eight inches in sandy soil...down in sight!

Neil
What did the one on the right score?
You have two booner bears? You make me sick.
Hahahaha. Jealous.
Hats off amigo. Booner elk and bears are just what you do eh? Kudos.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Default love bear spring bear hunting

Spring bear hunting is sooo much fun and it breaks up the seasons. But it a lot of work, wish I had the time.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Banned

Hmm I've been looking for a good fixed for blind hunting since they say you shouldn't shoot expandables through the netting. Be nice to have one that flies close enough at 40 yrds and under so I don't have to keep moving pins
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

It's nice to see classy respectful pictures , there are definitely some people who don't take as much care when taking their photos, and at the end of the day we don't need to be giving the anti's another reason to fill their diaper.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:15 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I've always been curious about bow hunting!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Smile Loaded for Bear thanks to L.O.S.T Arrow.

Hi everyone. I would just like to say I am definitely ready for spring bear season and its all due to Neil at L.O.S.T arrow. Couple weeks back I dropped off my bow with him because I was not happy with the factory performance. Neil took the time to sit down with me (I am a beginner) and we discussed what problems I was having and what improvements I wanted to make.
I then took off for a weeks Vacation to Mexico, upon returning my bow was ready to go and let me tell you Neil has my PSE smokin, and accurate! What an improvement, it was like a total different bow! It is amazing what knowledge and experience can do! Then after 150 shots Neil took the bow back and re-tuned everything after the changes had "settled".
Thank you Neil for your patience in dealing with a newbe to archery, I know that if I have the opportunity in front of me I will be able to execute and hopefully take my first bear with a bow.
If anybody wants to make improvements to their current setup give Neil a shout!

DesM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSE.jpg (27.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Default 1st post

Nice looking rig you have there, and I have never heard anything but great things about Neil's customer service.

You also might be in the running for "best 1st post ever!"
Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 PM

So do you guys keep the meat from a spring bear? Yes, no, depends? I am going to try and get out this spring for some scouting at least, if I run into a bear, I will have a tag ready!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
So do you guys keep the meat from a spring bear? Yes, no, depends? I am going to try and get out this spring for some scouting at least, if I run into a bear, I will have a tag ready!
Don't shoot a bear if your not going to eat it or find someone who's going to eat it, doesn't do a lot for our cause if we waste edible meat, and done properly bear is quite tasty
Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Don't shoot a bear if your not going to eat it or find someone who's going to eat it, doesn't do a lot for our cause if we waste edible meat, and done properly bear is quite tasty
Thank you, I appreciate the response.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Nice looking rig you have there, and I have never heard anything but great things about Neil's customer service.

You also might be in the running for "best 1st post ever!"
X2..Thanks Des much appreciated..

Just so you know ..noboby would know you are "Newbie" if you didnt tell them...good Job!!

Neil
Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 PM

It's all happening, just picked up 50 gallons of grease!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM

if only i could hunt bear this year....
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Well spring Bear is officially open...bears are being seen...food is scarce...look up...watch the high poplar/aspen tree tops...

Neil
Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Well first bait got set on Sunday got to set one or two more cant wait to be up in the tree stand
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 AM

Got two sites ready on the weekend . Shot some beavers last night to hang . Should be almost good to go .
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM

6 out of 12 baits hit good early start
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Ed View Post
6 out of 12 baits hit good early start
Outstanding keep us updated please...

Neil
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 AM

I heard a rumour that in Alberta... Bears grow on tree's ...lol