Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 AM

Default crossbow vs. conventional archery

Got a question for you all. I'm 40 years old and after countless injuries I find at the range after about 8 or 10 arrows my shoulder starts to cramp and seize up. I've always looked at crossbows as kind of cheating and that most guys who have special licenses are usually BS artists. Now that I'm in a position that I can no longer comfortably fire my bow I'm kind of thinking of looking into getting permission for a crossbow.
What's your take on it?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 AM

Do whatever you have to do to stay in the feild. You don't sound like the kind of guy thats trying to abuse the system.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 AM

Default bow

When I get to the point where I can't draw my bow I'll take up black powder. I'll move into the rifle season and find a nice hidey hole where I can use my archery skills to get my animals to 20 yards and use the smoke pole.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot to hunt View Post
Got a question for you all. I'm 40 years old and after countless injuries I find at the range after about 8 or 10 arrows my shoulder starts to cramp and seize up. I've always looked at crossbows as kind of cheating and that most guys who have special licenses are usually BS artists. Now that I'm in a position that I can no longer comfortably fire my bow I'm kind of thinking of looking into getting permission for a crossbow.
What's your take on it?
whats your draw weight right now?

ive seen elk killed with bows set at 45#.....if you are still pulling 70# i would try crankin her down a bit first

if you take the crossgun route i wouldnt blame you. You will have to prove you cant pull a bow anymore and that you will never recover from the injury.

I dont mind them granting permission for crossbows to people with injuries. Sucks when guys abuse it but what can you do? people are gonna be people
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

I am sorry to hear about you situation. My dad has a cross bow and trust me when I say you are going to have to jump through hoops to get a license. Allso there is NO advantage to a crossbow other than it is cocked and ready to go. I can shoot way further than a crossbow with my compound bow. I wish you luck on your license as I know it would suck not to be able to go hunting till rifle if you even use one.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
I am sorry to hear about you situation. My dad has a cross bow and trust me when I say you are going to have to jump through hoops to get a license. Allso there is NO advantage to a crossbow other than it is cocked and ready to go. I can shoot way further than a crossbow with my compound bow. I wish you luck on your license as I know it would suck not to be able to go hunting till rifle if you even use one.
I thought they simplified the process this year.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I thought they simplified the process this year.
Yup, they defiantly did. 2 of FIL buddies now have permits, and they think it's hilarious, they don't have any injuries, just a good doctor note.

On a side note, they also Said Srd doesn't require xbow hunters to purchase a bowhunting permit, don't know how true that is? Or why if they can hunt during archery season with their permit???

Last edited by pottymouth; 09-28-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

I did not know that. I don't care if they did. I just don't think anybody that has no injury should be using them.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

I have cancer and last year didnt have the strength to pull back my bow. I rehabed and gained strength so i was able. You only need to get you bow back once when hunting. Personaly in your situation i feel its totally up too you, i opted not too.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

I also feel that justin c is off point ive seen fellas groupin tight ar 90 yards with a crossbow and having it allready cocked is a huge advantage!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
I also feel that justin c is off point ive seen fellas groupin tight ar 90 yards with a crossbow and having it allready cocked is a huge advantage!
The only crossbow I have seen shoot 90+ yards accurately is a tac15. When it comes to having your bow cocked all the time is a real advantage as I stated that already.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Due to injuries I've been hunting with a crossbow for +10 years. SUPPOSEDLY, the process to get a permit was simplified this year. If you already had a permit it became more complicated. Even though I already went throw the loops and hoops once, I have to do it all again..........and then every 3 years (maximum) it's reviewed!!! There is a NEW form that has to be filled out by a doctor, physiotherapist, etc (more options there) and even if your arm was totally cut off you have to get the new form filled out........no exceptions!!!! I can understand that policy if permits were issued for temporary injuries but if the injury is PERMANENT (ie arm amputated) what does SRD think.............that the arm will grow back? Bureaucracy at its best!!!

I bought an Excalibur Exomax in the Spring and I'll tell you that it is a bulky hunk of equipment to carry around and hunt with. Get a double wide treestand if you plan on using one. I want my 150 lb Barnett Commando back.....lol!

No, you don't have to purchase a bowhunting permit if you are using a crossbow. It's in the regs.

There may be a few people that can consistently get a "tight" grouping at 90 yds but they would be the exception. A 2" grouping at 30 yds is the norm for me.

I highly doubt that any of the guys that are trying to beat the system are going to be overly impressed with a crossbow over a compound bow. Wait and ask them.....lol!

I don't know if you could find a medical professional to certify that you have a permanent disability that prevents you from using conventional archery equipment.........a sore shoulder doesn't meet the criteria.......you have a hard time with this IMO. However.........if using a crossbow is the only way that you can still bowhunt then either give it up or pick one up. It's not the ultimate killing machine that allot of people think it is though.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 PM

If and when i wreck my shoulder from the countless hours of practice with a bow I will not pick up a crossbow and hunt the archery season if so aloud.

Life goes on and it would not be the same for me.

To each his own
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot to hunt View Post
What's your take on it?
8 or 10 arrows every morning is plenty. Shouldn't need to practice more than that.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'll tell you that it is a bulky hunk of equipment to carry around and hunt with.
Quote:
There may be a few people that can consistently get a "tight" grouping at 90 yds but they would be the exception. A 2" grouping at 30 yds is the norm for me.
Quote:
I highly doubt that any of the guys that are trying to beat the system are going to be overly impressed with a crossbow over a compound bow.
Some very good points, HunterDave.

I always wonder why people think crossbows are such a huge advantage, other than maybe a shorter learning curve.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yup, they defiantly did. 2 of FIL buddies now have permits, and they think it's hilarious, they don't have any injuries, just a good doctor note.
I'd be interested in knowing how they make out this year. Would you let us know?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing how they make out this year. Would you let us know?
OH I will, or i'm sure we will all here about it, somehow. They have there eyes set on 410..............:
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Some very good points, HunterDave.

I always wonder why people think crossbows are such a huge advantage, other than maybe a shorter learning curve.
Learning curve...lol....what learning curve. You pick up the cross-gun thing, look through the scope and pull the trigger. Then pass it to your buddy and do the same. People who dont see the HUGE advantage in these things are on crack.....imo
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiffer View Post
Learning curve...lol....what learning curve. You pick up the cross-gun thing, look through the scope and pull the trigger. Then pass it to your buddy and do the same. People who dont see the HUGE advantage in these things are on crack.....imo
Ya see, there's a perfect example of not knowing what's involved with using a crossbow from someone that has never picked one up. You think it is so it must be true..........
Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Ya see, there's a perfect example of not knowing what's involved with using a crossbow from someone that has never picked one up. You think it is so it must be true..........
x2. Lots of those types around here.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
He did say he was on crack. Tried hunting with one what a pain in the --- I would take my bow over a crossbow anyday. But if you still want to hunt the early season.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I have both and prefer my bow. I don't mind the crossbow in a LARGE treestand though (during rifle season of course).
Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL. Big assumtions there, when you don't know the guy!!! I know for a fact he knows alot more than the average guy about bows, and xbows!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
He did say he was on crack. Tried hunting with one what a pain in the --- I would take my bow over a crossbow anyday. But if you still want to hunt the early season.
Curious why you tried the xbow, in the first place?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

these always end up the same way dont they? the name calling is sure to follow.....potty will be calling rifle hunters unethical slobs.....others will be complaining about the end of bowhunting as we know it....pack will be talking about all the guaranteed dead slammers on the prairies that he says in other threads dont exist.....stats will be shown that crossbows are simply just another bow.....and then cal will accuse me of starting the thread although i have never started one on the subject ever.....and then it will get locked as tempers begin to flare.

whaddya say we avoid it all and make this the last post? it will be mine for sure....this topic is stale.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
these always end up the same way dont they? the name calling is sure to follow.....potty will be calling rifle hunters unethical slobs.....others will be complaining about the end of bowhunting as we know it....pack will be talking about all the guaranteed dead slammers on the prairies that he says in other threads dont exist.....stats will be shown that crossbows are simply just another bow.....and then cal will accuse me of starting the thread although i have never started one on the subject ever.....and then it will get locked as tempers begin to flare.

whaddya say we avoid it all and make this the last post? it will be mine for sure....this topic is stale.
I dont call rifle hunters unethical slobs , But thanx !! I do rifle hunt too. Thought you agreed to leave my name outta your posts, but you can't.........
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post

Wow thanks for sharing your opinion on this matter...lol... Classy
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM

have you ever shot a crossbow... swiffer? ahahhaha
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
sheephunter

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
LOL. Big assumtions there, when you don't know the guy!!! I know for a fact he knows alot more than the average guy about bows, and xbows!!!
That very well may be. It just gets old. Some think the precious bow season is going to be ruined when crossbows are allowed in. But in reality, its not the great killing machine so many bow hunters think it is.

Spend an afternoon walking around with one through the bush and you'll see why the novelty will wear thin quickly.

That poor horse is sure taking a beating!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That very well may be. It just gets old. Some think the precious bow season is going to be ruined when crossbows are allowed in. But in reality, its not the great killing machine so many bow hunters think it is.

Spend an afternoon walking around with one through the bush and you'll see why the novelty will wear thin quickly.

That poor horse is sure taking a beating!
My FIL, buddies are the exact reason why I dont want an xbow season !

If it's such a terrible choice of weapon, Why defend it, and advocate a season for it...especially when people with disabilities have a Lax on obtaining?

No other reason than the same reason bowhunters get accused of...........Selfishness, that's it thats all !