Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowl93 View Post
So I finally set myself up with a bow (it's an oldie but I can get really good groups and it shoots great for me) and I have never really been into the big game scene, hence the name waterfowler haha I'm new to my area but am willing to put in the time and the effort to get a bear! I've always wanted a bear but like I said kinda new to this all. Im young but mature and am willing to work for what I want, but putting safety first. I'm torn between doing spot and stalk or baiting. just curious to the pros and cons of each style! If anyone wants to bring me along to show me the ropes of how to get it done I'm all for it!

Cheers and happy hunting
Where are you located?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Edmonton

Just on the south side of edmonton, close to the henday and QE2
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowl93 View Post
So I finally set myself up with a bow (it's an oldie but I can get really good groups and it shoots great for me) and I have never really been into the big game scene, hence the name waterfowler haha I'm new to my area but am willing to put in the time and the effort to get a bear! I've always wanted a bear but like I said kinda new to this all. Im young but mature and am willing to work for what I want, but putting safety first. I'm torn between doing spot and stalk or baiting. just curious to the pros and cons of each style! If anyone wants to bring me along to show me the ropes of how to get it done I'm all for it!

Cheers and happy hunting
Baiting ironically is the hardest hands down...driving, scouting, set up and maintaining baits is a lot of work...spot and stalk is way easy when it works...
Baiting can get very expensive also...hot baits have to be maintained and restocked every couple days...I have seen baits where full 45 gallon drum are licked clean overnight...
Bait stations will provide best shot probability thou however if setups are done correctly...

First bear I took with the bow on the ground was in a spot and stalk...not sure thou who was spot and stalkin who...I shot the bear running full out at me ... the bear started its run at 100yds sent the arrow on way at 10 yards from me ...bear ran by just mere feet from me and took the dirt nap...

Baits can be heart pumping but eye to eye spot and stalk can be heart stopping...lol

neil
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Great thread going to give spot and stalk a try this spring will be my first bear season thanks for all the info and great stories it should be a great time
Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Default Youngster

Neil- I'll be concentrating on getting Matthew a bear this spring. Can't wait!!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
Neil- I'll be concentrating on getting Matthew a bear this spring. Can't wait!!
Outstanding Doug...wishin you both the best...I know if put one in front of him he will do the rest....

Neil
Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 AM

BEAR HUNTING OUT OF A TREESTAND!!!!!

Neil
Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Default Got a couple in mind...

I had a couple good bears on last year, spooked one really bad and had another come in the day after the season...hope they are still in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June color bear 1251.jpg (97.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Default Brown

Here is the one I really wanted. Beautiful Coloured bear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Bear 420 916.jpg (105.0 KB, 155 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM

one thing I would like to shoot again first and last was when I was 16 ... just no time to bait maybe one day I will be able to get out if I find someone to go with ..
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I shot the bear running full out at me ... the bear started its run at 100yds sent the arrow on way at 10 yards from me ...bear ran by just mere feet from me and took the dirt nap...
Yeesh!

Quote:
Baits can be heart pumping but eye to eye spot and stalk can be heart stopping...lol
Well said!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I had a couple good bears on last year, spooked one really bad and had another come in the day after the season...hope they are still in the area.
Beauty...that things got a hump!!!

Neil
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Here is the one I really wanted. Beautiful Coloured bear.
Nice hog also...got one exactly that color...
Neil
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Default Looking for Partner

I'm going to set up a new bait up north, in the 500's, this spring. I've done this before with success and looking to find new ground. I have 2-3 units that I'm interested in to find that magic spot, but not married to any of them yet. I have all the gear, wall tent, etc. I'm looking for someone who wants to share some time around the campfire and get into a good bear or two. PM me if interested.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM

would love to do some spring bear this year but the 500's are a tad to far for me just wont get enough time to take a whole weekend...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Bears spotted already...most likely due to be being flooded out of den...

Neil
Old 03-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Nice!! I figured it would be early this year! Couple years ago i got one on April 7th... thinking it may be similar this year
Old 03-19-2015, 03:38 PM

I have all my bait ready to hit the bush next days off and get my bait set. Bringing a couple new hunters with me this yr to get their first bear.

Here is one of many bears that visited my bait last year.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:14 PM

I just got home. We managed to get 11 of 12 baited in the two days we were out there. There was barely any snow out there and I was in jeans and a t shirt. I'd say it will be an early one this year
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Default How to pick

Hey neil how do you pick your bait spot? Without knowing that there is a bear near there.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Baiting ironically is the hardest hands down...driving, scouting, set up and maintaining baits is a lot of work...spot and stalk is way easy when it works...
Baiting can get very expensive also...hot baits have to be maintained and restocked every couple days...I have seen baits where full 45 gallon drum are licked clean overnight...
Bait stations will provide best shot probability thou however if setups are done correctly...

First bear I took with the bow on the ground was in a spot and stalk...not sure thou who was spot and stalkin who...I shot the bear running full out at me ... the bear started its run at 100yds sent the arrow on way at 10 yards from me ...bear ran by just mere feet from me and took the dirt nap...

neil
^^ wow. That's one heck of a story. I've wanted to do a spot and stock since i had a bear run me out of a ground blind a couple years ago while i was deer hunting. Bear finally took off in the right direction but left me in need of a change of shorts, lol.

Ive figured a spot and stock hunt would get the fear out of me, haha.

There was a split second where i didnt know if he was coming at me or going the other way - just a big blur of motion. I had a rifle and as quick as they move i'm doubtful i could have put a shot where i needed to.

Whats your shot placement when one is coming right at you?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Hey neil how do you pick your bait spot? Without knowing that there is a bear near there.
Think like a bear...lol...no really...food sources like green pipelines south facing slopes...creeks..bears follow creeks, rivers,streams..lake shores...I like where evergreen meet poplar ridges...good cover but easy walking game trails...

Major Key...feed the birds...really if you have ravems crow and magpies visiting you bait....bears will come from miles away...

Put grease on quad or vehicle tires driving in and out...on boots to bait...thats like a freeway right to your bait

It works for me and works 99% of the time...

Neil
Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
^^ wow. That's one heck of a story. I've wanted to do a spot and stock since i had a bear run me out of a ground blind a couple years ago while i was deer hunting. Bear finally took off in the right direction but left me in need of a change of shorts, lol.

Ive figured a spot and stock hunt would get the fear out of me, haha.

There was a split second where i didnt know if he was coming at me or going the other way - just a big blur of motion. I had a rifle and as quick as they move i'm doubtful i could have put a shot where i needed to.

Whats your shot placement when one is coming right at you?
:d on that particular shot I didnt have much time...split seconds...it was on a cut line we drove trucks down...he was on left tire trail coming most of the way at ten yards it moved from left tire rut trail to left slight quartering towards...I aimed at base of neck on bears right chest...was shooting a Bear two blade Razorback then ...the head passed tru entire body slamming on heavy leg bone and exited...the second generation of Razorback had a chizel type tip instead of tradionial pointed tip ...the tip curled backward like a question mark....it hit so many vitals that the bear devoped a serious leak...and was down in a second on the run...

Still have that head in my display in the shop!!

Wouldnt be my choice of a shot on any bear anytime with a bow ...theres a golf ball size spot on bears chestbone when it has its head up...which is seldom...

Hungry bears will nearly always give you a broadside shot unless super edgy...if bear is edgy and nervous....wait a bit there is most likely a bigger bear around...its not your scent!!

Neil
Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM

Heading out Sunday to begin scouting. I'm going to spot and stalk with a bow this spring as I don't do bait piles...hate sitting in tree stands. I haven't taken a bear in over 15 yrs because I'm still searching for the right cinnamon boar but if last fall was any indication there will be plenty of blacks for you fellas this spring. Now if ESRD would pull their head out of their arse and open Grizz I might reconsider pulling out the climber and some donuts next season Best of luck to all you
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Think like a bear...lol...no really...food sources like green pipelines south facing slopes...creeks..bears follow creeks, rivers,streams..lake shores...I like where evergreen meet poplar ridges...good cover but easy walking game trails...

Major Key...feed the birds...really if you have ravems crow and magpies visiting you bait....bears will come from miles away...

Put grease on quad or vehicle tires driving in and out...on boots to bait...thats like a freeway right to your bait

It works for me and works 99% of the time...

Neil
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:42 AM

Gonna dust off the old stick and string. Haven't bow hunted the last couple years, so im due. Last year was dedicated to hunting waterfowl, this years theme is bow hunting. Bow hunting bears ranks high on my list, and im starting to get fired up. Goodluck to everyone out there.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:59 AM

I have already started collecting bait, almost half my garage floor is covered in bags of and stacked three high. Looking forward to getting out, but it will still be a month before I actually place any bait. I'm really hoping this guy leaves my baits alone this spring.....
Old 03-21-2015, 09:07 PM

Just got back from the COLD LAKE area today, 3 baits set today. We had a bunch of bears on them last year, hopefully this year they'll remember where the food was at. Might be an earlier year for bears hitting, time will tell. Must say, with the snow still in the bush it made it tough work, but hopefully they are the first food sources they find as they come out of the dens.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 PM

So my pre scouted spots that i have used before already have baits on the spots or close enough where it would be rude to set up my own.

Might end up doing some spot n stalk this year.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Default Archery black bear

Was out scouting today in the 500's and found a couple of promising spots to place baits next month. This will be my first time hunting bear with archery gear. Couple questions...how far do you guys typically set the barrels from a treestand? And also, any tips for shooting from a treestand as opposed to shooting on the ground? Thx