Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Looks like a pleco. to me
Me too...probably some moron dumped it in the bow when it got too big for their aquarium.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Here is one of the strangest things i have caught. Its definitely not a Muskie because I caught it in Jackson Lake by Lac La Biche. I think its called a Silver Pike i remember reading about them in a book in the Freshwater Angler series.
http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/...31082010_2.jpg
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Default umbrella catch

well take this everyone, caughta 6 foot wide beach umbrella lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg umbrella.jpg (39.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM

below the carseland wier, an old outboard motor.. even with the kid brother we could not get it to shore.. probly still there..that was about 25 yrs ago though.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 PM

One time I was fishing for rainbow trout then I got a little one and a loon ate it right off my line. And then after that it just fallowed me around the lake and took another one later on.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 AM

in august i was fishing the bow. there wasent much to catch.....until i hooked into something BIG. i was like nothing ive ever felt . it wouldent budge when i tried to reel it in! i turn to my buddy and said" what do i do?" he said walk after it ,so i did furiously reeling in line and running down stream. as i approched the Fish, it surfaced. it was a musk rat licking away at its hindquarters and my new husky jerk... and i thought i had the bow rivers biggest brown. maybe next year
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM

martin1113

we lost an umbrella in slave lake a few years ago . we had it for shade in our zodiak and a gust of wind picked it up and it fell in the lake . we each had a fish on and by the time we got organized and went after the umbrella it sank . we trolled back and forth for with big spoons but could not hook it .
did you catch this in slave lake ?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
martin1113

we lost an umbrella in slave lake a few years ago . We had it for shade in our zodiak and a gust of wind picked it up and it fell in the lake . We each had a fish on and by the time we got organized and went after the umbrella it sank . We trolled back and forth for with big spoons but could not hook it .
Did you catch this in slave lake ?
liar!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Caught painted and snapping turtles in Ontario when I was six...but I kinda was fishing for them with small hooks and hotdog.

Several times I have caught salamanders while still fishing for trout.

Almost caught a seal while jigging on the ocean for char in Cambridge Bay, that really freaked the crap out of me. He went after my pixie spoon and I yanked it away from him before he grabbed it.

Caught my lip fly fishing.

Anchor, net, old fishing rod.

Lefty
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Wink

I was fishing at the dock and i got a bite ..wow what a fight ..i reach down and pulled it out of the water and low and behold it was a lantern and it was lite.. I will blow out my lantern if you all quit tell your stories ;;;
Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 AM

true story !
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
true story !
how do we know your not a liar?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grice View Post
In the early 90's at the Nipawin dam i caught a hutterite while trying to cast out my pickerel rig.
is that good for catchin walleyes?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

when i lived in wainwright i fished wallace park pond i was really young i always had seaguls grab my lil bobber and take off sumtimes they would drop it sum times not and when they did not they would get tangled in the line sum times hooked it was a real hassle .........try gettin a ****ed seagul untangled they would try to get away from u and ur pullin em in or they would bite the sh#t out of u when ur untangle them .... wow i think of that now ...how not fun that was ... a good fight though................and i go to lake of the woods in ont every year for a week ... the first time i went 3 years ago .. i was fly fishin smallies havin a blast ...and then... had 1 on and boom zzzzzzzzzzzz .... snap there goes my 500$ martin fly rod ... a huge muskie or pike owned my bass ... i was freakin right out........so i dont fly fish there anymore ... only cast fishin and i have caught a million smallies on a cast rod and no takes .... weird ...
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_bassman View Post
snap there goes my 500$ martin fly rod
I would be mad too, if someone charged me $500 for a Martin.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I would be mad too, if someone charged me $500 for a Martin.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM

I hooked a robin mid-air just below the bow falls with a wooly bugger. When he hit the water his little robin friends flew over and tweeted at him. He was pretty freaked out by the time I got him to shore but after a few minutes he managed to hop out to the golf course and out of sight.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
Hooked a beaver yesterday. Silly thing was swimming right where I wanted to fish... Caught a muskrat last year too. Also caught 2 or 3 cheap broken rods in the Athabaska last year.

Weriest thing I've ever seen though was a little 6" Whitefish that took my 4" spoon. Haven't figured that one out still till the day. Must have just snagged it at random.
I have also had to hyper extend the mouths of tiny rockies to remove hooks, I wonder what they are trying to prove?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Default 30 pound river anchor

At Flathead lake in Montana fishing for Lakers snagged a rope 250' of rope with a 30 lb river anchor was a task to bring in we thought it was going to be a body.

Also a Rainbow double header on a pickerel rig at Burmis Lake made me very happy.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM

I caught this really nasty rash one summer I worked up in Cambridge Bay from a really cute girl I was dating......

OOOpps.....thinking aloud again

LC
Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I caught this really nasty rash one summer I worked up in Cambridge Bay from a really cute girl I was dating......

OOOpps.....thinking aloud again

LC
my buddy said he caught crabs in cold lake. everyone knows alberta has no crabs.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
my buddy said he caught crabs in cold lake. everyone knows alberta has no crabs.
Maybe not crabs BUT ....you can catch crayfish in the Beaumont Trout pond though! A kid was down there the other day with his Dad and had 3 in a bucket....and one was almost 5 inches long!

LC
Old 07-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Years ago up in Northern Saskatchewan while reeling in a fish, my line went dead and my Dad had a fish on, then I had a fish then he did, when the lures got to the boat the pike I had caught also took a swipe at me Dads hook, two hooks in the lip of a 38" pike, my guess would have been about 17 pounds. Got this mess sorted out and my dad had dropped his line over the side I started the outboard and put it in gear to star trolling when he hollers I got a fish, by this time the FF was reading 90 plus feet and you could see the fish on his line at about 80 pulled in a 15 pound laker.

BW
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 PM

I caught herpies once, besides that i just have caught the odd boot here and there.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massari View Post
I caught herpies once, besides that i just have caught the odd boot here and there.
Once you got it....you got it!

LC
Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Ugh, now that sucks
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM

My friends first catch, was a t shirt. He was reeling it in for a while and kept saying he finally had something. As it came near it resembled the shape of a fish. Excitedly he says "What did I catch!" I simply reply, "A t-shirt!"

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary, other peoples line, my friends line and tricked him into thinking he had finally caught something as well. He was downstream from me, and I decided to try hook his line. He starts getting excited, and I'd give it a good tug every now and then. That was good!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Fishing 30 years ago in glenmore res, had a nice pike on with my brand new 5 diamonds, well the line broke and lost him. Next morning came back again, about the 3rd cast had another fish on, got it to shore and noticed my hook in him that I lost the day before.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Actually was out at Pigeon 2-3 weekends ago....I reel in and I had caught another lure (snagged the rubber body), looked like a size large storm bait that was decaying....5 mins later my brother reels in another lure, a black and white spoon he snagged right on the "barbed" treble hook....

What are the chances of that?

LC
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Last weekend at traverse my pickeral rig wrapped around the claw of a crawfish!!!!