Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 PM

I remember catching these things as a kid in Manitoba.

http://huntfishmanitoba.ca/blog/2015...one-carp-crazy
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM

Default carp

i don't see it that bad new either, considering the Alberta lakes are invested with algae and during peek summer times when its hot people can't go for a swim because the algae is poison and can harm people. Also with the fact that Alberta has virtually 0 vegetarian fish the algae problem will not go away, now i did read that the government is stocking grass carp into the lake that are sterilized... well that's not helping either because they die out too fast and can't reproduce. with Prussian carp it could go away since its a vegetarian fish. also pike, walleye and other predator fish can feast upon these carp... so its not all that bad. More food for predator fish means bigger predator fish.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbreez View Post
i don't see it that bad new either, considering the Alberta lakes are invested with algae and during peek summer times when its hot people can't go for a swim because the algae is poison and can harm people. Also with the fact that Alberta has virtually 0 vegetarian fish the algae problem will not go away, now i did read that the government is stocking grass carp into the lake that are sterilized... well that's not helping either because they die out too fast and can't reproduce. with Prussian carp it could go away since its a vegetarian fish. also pike, walleye and other predator fish can feast upon these carp... so its not all that bad. More food for predator fish means bigger predator fish.
Your not serious are you? I really hope you are joking! If not I think you should do a little more research on these fish.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
More food for predator fish means bigger predator fish.
This thinking is completely wrong and is not supported by science, a body of water can only support so much bio mass, if you add more fish the bio mass ceiling isn't raised it stays the same you just have more fish competing for the same amount of food as before... this causes fish to stunt growth..... you can have 100 fish at 5 grams or 1 fish at 500 grams,

*this is extremely simplistic but just showing the point
Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
This thinking is completely wrong and is not supported by science, a body of water can only support so much bio mass, if you add more fish the bio mass ceiling isn't raised it stays the same you just have more fish competing for the same amount of food as before... this causes fish to stunt growth..... you can have 100 fish at 5 grams or 1 fish at 500 grams,

*this is extremely simplistic but just showing the point
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the rainbows early in the ice season were noticeably larger than in prior years and all had small carp in their stomachs when cleaned.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the rainbows early in the ice season were noticeably larger than in prior years and all had small carp in their stomachs when cleaned.
Nor will I argue you are wrong, this is possible and some would speculate common for the first couple of seasons, plus there are always outliers.

One only needs to look at the vast majority of our waters that have been illegally stocked with perch or Brock trout for examples of how this can go badly.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
And now those said trout are gone regardless and Won't get any bigger
Old 06-28-2015, 12:46 PM

big article on yahoo.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...012730095.html
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM

you really can't compare predator fish like perch,trout... with carp....
Old 06-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
you really can't compare predator fish like perch,trout... with carp....
Can't fix stupid, you sir are absolutely clueless
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Gone Hunting

On the coast I did a landscaping make over on a yard for a client. There was a birdbath sunk to the rim in the ground with some filthy water in it. When I pulled it out and dumped it, a half dozen little fish spilled onto the ground. They were carp. Dull brown carp. My wife scooped them up and put them in a bucket to save their lives.
This 'plan' grew legs and developed into a part of our landscaping. She always wanted a water feature. I put an old fibreglass satellite dish in the ground, filled it with water and a few large rocks. Landscaped it with plants inside and out and dumped those 6 fish in it. They were 2-3 inches long. Two years later we had 150 of various sizes and colours up to 8 inches long. We sold then for garden ponds.
I did the maintenance on the plants for our pond, but nothing else, no feed , no filtration or aeration. Those fish stayed there summer and winter. In winter the pond froze over and was covered with snow.

These fish breed like cockroaches and are as tough.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
Can't fix stupid, you sir are absolutely clueless
the stupid one would be you, cause you call people stupid. And i'm not clueless i'm well informed on their diet.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
And now those said trout are gone regardless and Won't get any bigger
I think they were big and legal enough to be eaten.... so not sure whats your point?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 PM

Kept two rainbows from Blood Indian today, one had three small Prussian carp in its stomach.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Kept two rainbows from Blood Indian today, one had three small Prussian carp in its stomach.
Are the carp big enough to target in Blood Indian?

Would Blood Indian be a better choice to catch one or DeWitts?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 PM

I caught 3 of these last year in the red deer river , just after it opened in the spring . Just downstream of Red Deer. I reported it to fish and game and they had one of there biologist contact me and said this was not the first report of them in this watershed and the were very concerned . Two of them were a pound and a half and the third was almost 3 lbs.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Are the carp big enough to target in Blood Indian?

Would Blood Indian be a better choice to catch one or DeWitts?
Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I've never seen any in there, other than half digested in a trout's stomach. I have heard of quite a few people catching them while targeting trout, though.

Blood is quite a bit bigger than DeWitts, so my relatively uneducated guess would be Blood. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Your right about the bio mass imbalance Persian carp are ferocious eaters and will deplete the food of any body of water too small to hadle them.

But one of the biggest issues with invasive non native species is the threat of bacterial and foreign diseases that can wipe out all species of fish not immune to them and fast too my friend dug a 4 acre trout pond right outside Wetaskiwin about six years ago he added 50 Persian carp and 20 grass carp and in only three years only the Persian carp were left when they tested the water it came back positive with some kind of Asian gut worm they told him it stopped the trout from feeding properly and they all went belly up the grass carp lasted longer but only a year or two more.

I hope this was an isolated incident cause if not those tributaries and canals are in for some trouble if it Isent stopped.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:40 PM

I think that if anyone is caught with these fish in thier possession they should face a $1000 fine per fish. Catch and destroy on site only. Never mind how they taste. That's the dumbest thing I've heard. The spread of these fish by people has to be eliminated and the insentive to do so has to be removed. That's what I will be proposing to SRD. They are already in ponds around Calgary and they didn't get there by themselves.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I think that if anyone is caught with these fish in thier possession they should face a $1000 fine per fish. Catch and destroy on site only. Never mind how they taste. That's the dumbest thing I've heard. The spread of these fish by people has to be eliminated and the insentive to do so has to be removed. That's what I will be proposing to SRD. They are already in ponds around Calgary and they didn't get there by themselves.
X2 hatcheries should stop the sale of these fish completely some people are not responsible enough for that kind of danger. They also don't warranty any of your fish if these carp ruin your pond.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:43 AM

I used to work at petland years ago and a bunch of greasy kids came in and bought a bunch of feeder fish saying they were putting them in the pond. (Figured like a water feature in their parents yards). So sure enough one day I'm walking along the pond in coventry hills and see a big dirty probably 20 inch orange comet surface. Put 2 and 2 together pretty quick.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 AM

Scary to see how people think these days. Sad for the planet really in that people have their heads up thier butts. People just are not responsible enough or even smart enough to deserve any freedom. Need the government to watch us like a hawk. That's what it seems like . Most people don't realize that playing Mother Nature is cutting your own throat.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I think anyone with a dead one in there possesion should receive a bounty. $$$$ Catch them, kill them and deposit in a garbage bag at home.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 AM

I'm just worried about people that keep moving them around. They got put into Dewits pond. Got to be away to discourage people from doing that. Certain people find them to be god table fair and are more than happy to be catching them. Maybe no live fish in possession would help. But with no inforcement I fear it's only a matter of time before it's going to be an "I remember when we used to catch trout here" senerio.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 PM

My nephew and I got 25-30 pounds of 1"-4" carp at a slough by Bieseker. We were in the reeds and there were thousands of them. We scooped them up with our hands into a black garbage bag. Some ended up as bait and the rest fed a bunch of happy magpies and crows.
Jh
Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
My nephew and I got 25-30 pounds of 1"-4" carp at a slough by Bieseker. We were in the reeds and there were thousands of them. We scooped them up with our hands into a black garbage bag. Some ended up as bait and the rest fed a bunch of happy magpies and crows.
Jh
Just a heads up, not legal as bait anywhere in Alberta!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM

From the regs:

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM

That's good to know, I was given bad info. It's too bad we can't use them, from the thousands we saw in the small area we were in, there must be millions of them around. If nothing else, this slough will be a good carp fishing spot
Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=James Henry;3095092]My nephew and I got 25-30 pounds of 1"-4" carp at a slough by Bieseker. We were in the reeds and there were thousands of them. We scooped them up with our hands into a black garbage bag. Some ended up as bait and the rest fed a bunch of happy magpies and crows.
Jh[/QUO

Lol, using them for bait. That's helping the cause
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Default Aweful - Use Them?

Bloody Aweful. They can probably be prepared in a lot of ways, similar to sucker fish, such as the popular method of smoking/canning. Might as well use them, could fill your freezer with free meat for entire year, thats a lot of savings!!!