Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
Poverty does not cause violence. Certain sub-cultures celebrate it. A lot of the gangsters in the lower mainland were middle class kids.

Gun laws are to violence what prohibition is to pot smoking. What people desire, people acquire. One way or another.
You sure poverty stricken areas don't experience higher crime rates?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
How can lax gun laws in low crime areas be blamed for gun crime in Chicago? That defies logic. Blaming the gun for dirt bags actions is the same as blaming skateboarders for your perch problem. Doesn't really work.

I have to agree fixing poverty will help everyone. Good luck with that though.
This was rehashed over and over again on other threads. There are lots of stats that shows the guns used in the crimes are illegally brought in from out of state where background checks are not required.

Gun's don't kill people without a person holding onto it and unfortunately good people sell guns to bad guys. I am all for good guys having guns and bad guys not. So they need to stop the problem at the source rather than going in circle arguments.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM

How about the murder rate in Edmonton GMA, 50 homicides in 2011? Poverty?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
How about the murder rate in Edmonton GMA, 50 homicides in 2011? Poverty?
If you want to talk statistic you can not just throw out one Canadian city. Look up per capita income in Canada and then crime levels for those areas and see. It would make for an interesting read.

If you want mico statistics just look up crime rates in Bowness versus Elbow Park.

Plus we are talking US cities with US gun laws. Gun crime in Canada is gigantically lower than the US. Lots of stats on other threads to review.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Chicago has A population of 9,461,105.

That's bigger than 40 states.

That's more than New Jersey, That's 13 times the population of Alaska.

"17 Shot- 6 Dead in Chicago - Memorial Day Weekend."

Comforting facts for the ones who got shot. I know I'd feel better. On top of being shot I'd be loser in the stats game.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM

According to this article about 80% of the murders are drug gang related.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/escalon...o-streets.html

Is it really so bad that these people are killing each other off? Obviously the justice industry won't deal with them.

So for a recap, drugs/drug trafficking(illegal), gun possession (illegal), murder (illegal), gun trafficking(illegal) shooting on city streets(illegal), yet lax gun laws in other parts of the US are the problem with Chicago. That takes a leap of logic that I can't make.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
According to this article about 80% of the murders are drug gang related.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/escalon...o-streets.html

Is it really so bad that these people are killing each other off? Obviously the justice industry won't deal with them.

So for a recap, drugs/drug trafficking(illegal), gun possession (illegal), murder (illegal), gun trafficking(illegal) shooting on city streets(illegal), yet lax gun laws in other parts of the US are the problem with Chicago. That takes a leap of logic that I can't make.
Look to where the guns come from that do the killing. There are plenty of studies then you just have a bit more info to go on.

You do hit on one valid point. If you added up all the murders the percentage of law abiding folks being killed by bad Guys versus bad guys killing each other is rarely discussed. I would love that info compared by country.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I would love that info compared by country.
That would be interesting. I'll see if I can find anything.

Edit

Interesting chart from StatsCan. Quite a bit was lost in translation, here is the link.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-.../tbl04-eng.htm

Table 4
Firearm-related and gang-related homicides, Canada's ten largest census metropolitan areas, 2010

Census metropolitan
area (CMA)1 Firearm-related homicides Gang-related homicides Total homicides
number rate2 percent of total homicides number rate2 percent of total homicides number
Toronto 40 0.70 50.0 20 0.35 25.0 80
Montréal 16 0.41 32.7 14 0.36 28.6 49
Vancouver 16 0.67 44.4 12 0.50 33.3 36
Edmonton 8 0.68 25.0 4 0.34 12.5 32
Winnipeg 7 0.90 31.8 4 0.51 18.2 22
Calgary 3 0.24 20.0 1 0.08 6.7 15
Ottawa3 2 0.21 15.4 0 0.00 0.0 13
Hamilton 1 0.14 8.3 0 0.00 0.0 12
Québec 1 0.13 16.7 0 0.00 0.0 6
Kitchener–Cambridge–Waterloo 0 0.00 0.0 1 0.19 25.0 4
1. A census metropolitan area (CMA) consists of one or more neighbouring municipalities situated around an urban core. A CMA must have a total population of at least 100,000 of which 50,000 or more live in the urban core. To be included in the CMA, other adjacent municipalities must have a high degree of integration with the urban core, as measured by commuting flows derived from census data. A CMA typically comprises more than one police service.
2. Rates are calculated per 100,000 population. Population estimates at July 1st 2010 provided by Statistics Canada, Demography Division. Estimates are preliminary postcensal for 2010.
3. Ottawa refers to the Ontario part of the Ottawa–Gatineau CMA.
Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Homicide Survey.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 05-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
17 Shot- 6 Dead in Chicago - Memorial Day Weekend.
Only 6 dead out of 17 people shot? That's only about a 30% success rate.....Pathetic.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Only 6 dead out of 17 people shot? That's only about a 30% success rate.....Pathetic.
I concur.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM

The UK doesn't keep stats on gang violence. I wonder why? This reference from the BBC is about all I could find. Not overly helpful, but interesting. How is it possible that 60%of shootings are gang related. I thought guns were all but banned in England. It should be easy to keep them out, it is an island after all. (SARCASIM)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15238377

"At least half of the 27 murders of teenagers in London in 2007 were gang-related, according to the Metropolitan Police. Officers in Liverpool and Manchester have said in the past that 60% of shootings are linked to gangs."

Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
"At least half of the 27 murders of teenagers in London in 2007 were gang-related, according to the Metropolitan Police. Officers in Liverpool and Manchester have said in the past that 60% of shootings are linked to gangs."
Can't open the link.....27 teen murders in a big city like London doesn't sound like a lot. How many of the 27 were shot?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Stats, shmats! Better to have a gun and not need it....
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Can't open the link.....27 teen murders in a big city like London doesn't sound like a lot. How many of the 27 were shot?
It doesn't say. Ill see what I can find when I drop the gang related part of the search.

Edit

I'm not finding anything.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 05-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
You sure poverty stricken areas don't experience higher crime rates?
Not every impoverished area has a problem with violence. Those with gang and substance abuse issues do. Remember, correlation does not equal causation. It's about culture, and strength of family. All the rules of state can't compensate for a messed up culture.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Does London have gun control ?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Did 30 seconds of research on the google, London had 27 Murders in 2012 total. Population is over 15 million.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Did 30 seconds of research on the google, London had 27 Murders in 2012 total. Population is over 15 million.
Like I said there were 27 YOUTH murders in London, not TOTAL murders. There were 120 murders in London in 2011.

http://www.citizensreportuk.org/repo...n-murders.html

Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Like I said there were 27 YOUTH murders in London, not TOTAL murders. There were 120 murders in London in 2011.

Sorry about the mix up.

For comparison NYC had 414 murders and 18 million people
London has 120 murders for 15 million people.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the mix up.

For comparison NYC had 414 murders and 18 million people
London has 120 murders for 15 million people.
London's population is 8,174,100 (census 2011)

You sure do get a lot of numbers wrong, I guess you think it helps build your case. Some would call it deceitful.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
London's population is 8,174,100 (census 2011)

You sure do get a lot of numbers wrong, I guess you think it helps build your case. Some would call it deceitful.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ng-8-3-million

And New York is 8 million.

Maybe he was looking at the greater metropolitan areas?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
The UK doesn't keep stats on gang violence. I wonder why? This reference from the BBC is about all I could find. Not overly helpful, but interesting. How is it possible that 60%of shootings are gang related. I thought guns were all but banned in England. It should be easy to keep them out, it is an island after all. (SARCASIM)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15238377

I would just love to see a side by side comparison of who is being killed.

I do rank random killing of innocent people or murder for robbery, rape etc. as a different ranking that gang on gang violence for instance. Them folks should all be put onto a island...last man standing gets a free trip to Disneyworld before being sent to Saudi Arabia with a kilo of coke in his carry on.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM

where's ol rocky7 when you need him, he was much better at re-hashing the same old guns arguements over and over and over.............annnnnnnnd over. lol

Fact is guns make it pretty easy for anyone to kill. I think alot of people would think twice or wouldnt have the physical strength to manually beat some one to death. Give them a gun and pop pop.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
where's ol rocky7 when you need him, he was much better at re-hashing the same old guns arguements over and over and over.............annnnnnnnd over. lol

Fact is guns make it pretty easy for anyone to kill. I think alot of people would think twice or wouldnt have the physical strength to manually beat some one to death. Give them a gun and pop pop.
Speaking of tired old arguments, any more deep thoughts Jack?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I would just love to see a side by side comparison of who is being killed.

I do rank random killing of innocent people or murder for robbery, rape etc. as a different ranking that gang on gang violence for instance. Them folks should all be put onto a island...last man standing gets a free trip to Disneyworld before being sent to Saudi Arabia with a kilo of coke in his carry on.
That would be very useful data. Gang affiliation, previous record, ethnicity, age, weapon, country of birth, sex, etc etc. And uniform data around the globe it would make things so much nicer. I looked up Venezuela but uncle Hugo quit keeping crime stats. I can only guess why!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM

The murder rate has everything to do with the demographics of the United States and little to do with guns.

Murder Rate per 100,000
Africa:17
Mexico: 23.7
UK: 1.2
USA: 4.8

USA is actually doing pretty good for what they have to work with.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM

But But Mexico has such strict gun control, how on earth can people do all dem moiders?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
But But Mexico has such strict gun control, how on earth can people do all dem moiders?
LOL...but Mexico has no real police force... just guys looking to take bribes and blame tourists for them falling off balconies after getting beat up.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
The murder rate has everything to do with the demographics of the United States and little to do with guns.

Murder Rate per 100,000
Africa:17
Mexico: 23.7
UK: 1.2
USA: 4.8

USA is actually doing pretty good for what they have to work with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Who's up for an Elephant burger?

From the World Health Organization:

The latest Murder Statistics for the world:

Murders per 100,000 citizens

Honduras 91.6
El Salvador 69.2
Cote d'lvoire 56.9
Jamaica 52.2
Venezuela 45.1
Belize 41.4
US Virgin Islands 39.2