Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Default Alberta moose survey app

Heres hoping they get a hunters eye view of how the moose numbers are at a steady decline. Anyone know what to do if you hunt in multiple wmu's? As it asks for wmu hunted in when setting up the app.

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/moose...mpaignId=12607
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM

It is poorly setup. Last year I saw the same cow/calves almost every day. If I had used the app, it would have grossly overinflated the numbers.

That being said. They will get no info from me until there is a public apology and firing of all those involved with the g-bear "survey".

Besides, do you really think they manage moose for the benefit of the moose population and licensed hunters? A look at what they did in the 500s archery season, or the relocation of g-bears and slaughter of moose in the 353/GC area would tell otherwise.

We need to stop supporting people who are directly against hunting by non-Siberian migrants.

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-28-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Looks like you are stuck with one WMU. I remember Dr. Boyce talking about the app when I was in his population biology class back in 2011 and it doesn't look like it has been updated. He modeled it after the sweedish practice of all moose hunters checking in daily with their club (you have to be registered through a club to hunt I believe) with what they saw for moose that day. Good additional tool for biologists trying to assess the population numbers. Could really use an update though
Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
It is poorly setup. Last year I saw the same cow/calves almost every day. If I had used the app, it would have grossly overinflated the numbers.

That being said They will get no info from me until there is a public apology and firing of all those involved with the g-bear "survey".

Besides, do you really think they manage moose for the benefit of the moose population and licensed hunters? A look at what they did in the 500s archery season, or the relocation of g-bears and slaughter of moose in the 353/GC area would tell otherwise.

We need to stop supporting people who are directly against hunting by non-Siberian migrants.

x2

After the slaughter of ungulates in 352/353/355, I have absolutely no trust in our bio.

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-28-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

That being saidThey will get no info from me until there is a public apology and firing of all those involved with the g-bear "survey".

X2
Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 PM

I will never fill out another survey for many of the same reasons stated above. The data is used for politics and not management. Several general archery seasons for moose were closed and I have no doubt we are about to lose the remaining ones.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 PM

I'm curious about how the "data is used for politics not management". What do you know about the data collected on the app and how it is used along with all the other data considered by managers? What politics are you talking about? Why would biologists and bureaucrats who make harvest limits etc not be better off with all the data of observations of every moose hunter in Alberta? Do you really think that reporting the same observation for every day day you're in the wmu is not useful and that number crunchers won't make more accurate estimates with more rather than less reports?

It's fairly obvious that using more imperfect tools for data collection can't make decisions worse. Hunters can help.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 PM

more conspiracy BS. The app was developed by Dr Boyce, Chair of Wildlife at U of A, avid hunter and trapper. It was a pilot project to track the accuracy of hunter observations against aerial surveys. The hunters reports turned out to be quite accurate and reliable and much cheaper then the surveys. The only problem is government hasn't really embraced it. Based on initial results it should be expanded to other species.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
more conspiracy BS. The app was developed by Dr Boyce, Chair of Wildlife at U of A, avid hunter and trapper. It was a pilot project to track the accuracy of hunter observations against aerial surveys. The hunters reports turned out to be quite accurate and reliable and much cheaper then the surveys. The only problem is government hasn't really embraced it. Based on initial results it should be expanded to other species.
How is your Alberta grizzly bear hunt going this year Brian?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I will never fill out another survey for many of the same reasons stated above. The data is used for politics and not management. Several general archery seasons for moose were closed and I have no doubt we are about to lose the remaining ones.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
My sentiments aswell.. 3 Blade nailed it.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:18 PM

Default The politics

I side with those who choose not to feed info to the political machine. One more piece of politics for you; I've learned that some crown land available for hunting in 242 is slated to be turned over to the Miquelon Lake Provincial Park. All because "it isn't being used" so might as well give it to the park. Well currently their is no hunting in the park. Yet this area boast some of the highest moose densities in Alberta. So soon there will be less opportunity to hunt moose app or no app.