Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Default Donate Your Meat Program.

Saw This posted by F&W enforcement and thought I would share it here. And I quote:

"Hunters, if nature is good to you this season, in the form of a successful deer, elk or moose harvest, consider paying it forward to those in need. From October 15th to December 15th this year, the Alberta Hunters Sharing the Harvest program is requesting donations of big game meat for the Food Bank.

Hunters do not have to pay any additional costs for donating or processing the meat as the program covers all costs associated with butchering. All items dropped off at these local participating meat processors will go to the food bank:

• Ryan’s Meats – Calgary, Alberta
• Sandy View Farms – Spruce Grove, Alberta
• Vermilion Packers – Vermilion, Alberta
• Country Meat Market – Wainwright, Alberta
• First Choice Sausage & Meats – Sundre, Alberta
• Savory Meats – Sundre, Alberta
• Kerik’s Meat Market – Olds, Alberta

The program is made possible by the partnership of Hunters Sharing the Harvest, local food banks and fish and wildlife officers. All donations are inspected by a fish and wildlife officer to ensure overall animal health.

If you are a hunter interested in sharing your harvest, please follow these requirements:

• Deer, elk or moose are the only game eligible to be donated.

• Animals must be field dressed immediately after harvest. The heart, lungs and liver must accompany the carcass in separate appropriate container including the hunter’s tag number. Any abnormal tissues found must also be noted and brought in to the meat processor for examination.

• If the animal is skinned, it must be wrapped in a clean, porous covering during transportation to a meat processing facility.

• The carcasses must be transported to a participating meat processing plant within 24 hours of harvest. No completely frozen carcasses will be accepted.

Another way to contribute is by making a monetary donation as the funds will be used to cover butchering costs.

Those wishing to participate in the program can call the 24-hour information line at 1-780-443-6006. More information can also be found in the Alberta Hunting Regulations (page 91) or at www.huntingfortomorrow.com"
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks for this!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 AM

BS. Don't shoot it unless you are going to eat. Gives us a bad name. Sure donating is great, but we are not talking about canned goods.

Spruce
Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
BS. Don't shoot it unless you are going to eat. Gives us a bad name. Sure donating is great, but we are not talking about canned goods.
I don't agree with that. Just because someone is donating meat does not mean that they did not plan on eating it. Sure some might not be able to use all the meat and want to give some up, however I think many would like to share with those that need it more. There are a lot of hungry people out there and this is a great way to help them out.

I have been trying to find programs like this here in Manitoba but have come up short so far.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Spruce
I shoot animals every year with the full intent of giving the meat away to those that like it but cannot hunt anymore for various reasons .
Cat
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM

Touchy subject, I shouldn't have commented. I just hate the hunt for horns give the meat away, it happens to much. I don't have an issue sharing a bit with friends, or taking a deer for Grandma. Just don't like how this promotes the ugly side of trophy only hunting. I just don't like the concept of blind gifting, because I know what it leads to.

Spruce
Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Touchy subject, I shouldn't have commented. I just hate the hunt for horns give the meat away, it happens to much. I don't have an issue sharing a bit with friends, or taking a deer for Grandma. Just don't like how this promotes the ugly side of trophy only hunting. I just don't like the concept of blind gifting, because I know what it leads to.

Spruce
I am not a horn Hunter and personally I don't think meat donation programs promote trophy hunting , I do think some people perceive it as such however .
Most people only get one general tag and I doubt very much those people go around looking for big antlers then wonder what they are going to do with the meat after - IF they are lucky enough to shoot something they figure is big enough to put the antlers on the wall.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-28-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Spruce
Interesting attitude. If the 'horns only' hunters, give away the meat to someone who can use it I could care less. As a meat first hunter, a buck that's been rutting hard isn't my first choice and I probably wouldn't take it unless it had a really nice rack. My first thought was, maybe I can get a second deer and donate it to those in need. I always buy a supplemental tag so we'll see. My brother in law wasn't planning to get a deer this year because they still have lots of moose and elk left from last year. Think I'll pass this on to him, we can enjoy our hunt AND help somebody out.

All I really care about is that animals are harvested in a sustainable and legal fashion that mimizes suffering and helps maintain wildlife populations and minimize wildlife-human conflict. If you want to do it in carharts and rubber boots, or the latest camo I could care less. Muzzleloader, bow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, or evil black rifle (with a legal hunting caliber) fill your boots. Just shoot straight, enjoy your time in the field, and do what you can to spread the love of the outdoors.

Honestly, the biggest reason I worry about the future of hunting is because of people who are ready to criticize others who hunt 'the wrong way' or for 'the wrong reasons'. With friends like these...
Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Default Giving meat away

I do`t like the idea, easy way to get out of being responsible for killing something you have no need to kill. It is nice to donate and help others so give part of every paycheck to the food bank. much cheaper and will do more good, if you are claiming you want to help others.
Personally I think people like killing stuff, can`t eat or use it, leave it live.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Interesting attitude. If the 'horns only' hunters, give away the meat to someone who can use it I could care less. As a meat first hunter, a buck that's been rutting hard isn't my first choice and I probably wouldn't take it unless it had a really nice rack. My first thought was, maybe I can get a second deer and donate it to those in need. I always buy a supplemental tag so we'll see. My brother in law wasn't planning to get a deer this year because they still have lots of moose and elk left from last year. Think I'll pass this on to him, we can enjoy our hunt AND help somebody out.

All I really care about is that animals are harvested in a sustainable and legal fashion that mimizes suffering and helps maintain wildlife populations and minimize wildlife-human conflict. If you want to do it in carharts and rubber boots, or the latest camo I could care less. Muzzleloader, bow, crossbow, rifle, shotgun, or evil black rifle (with a legal hunting caliber) fill your boots. Just shoot straight, enjoy your time in the field, and do what you can to spread the love of the outdoors.

Honestly, the biggest reason I worry about the future of hunting is because of people who are ready to criticize others who hunt 'the wrong way' or for 'the wrong reasons'. With friends like these...
I don't think there is a wrong way to hunt (method, weapon) and not really much to judge either. But the certainly is a right and wrong way to hunt. I agree get out there and enjoy it, but respect the animals you harvest. I 100% agree with the animal being donated over being wasted, but that is where the issue is for me. Would the animal have been harvested otherwise? I hunt for horns every year, when I am lucky enough to get a big set they go on the wall, but the animal goes on my table.

Spruce
Old 09-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Where do I sign up to get meat? Need some moose...tenderloins and strip loins work for me, cut out the middle man and drop me a PM

LC
Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Totally disagree,instead of donating the meat,give the money you would spend on tags .
Old 09-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Default Missunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdelipper View Post
I don't agree with that. Just because someone is donating meat does not mean that they did not plan on eating it. Sure some might not be able to use all the meat and want to give some up, however I think many would like to share with those that need it more. There are a lot of hungry people out there and this is a great way to help them out.

I have been trying to find programs like this here in Manitoba but have come up short so far.
I think he meant that if someone is going to buy the tag that the meat should be consumed regardless. If someone can't hunt for different reasons there's a program in place to allow for the harvest of game for the benefit of the less fortunate or unabled.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I shoot animals every year with the full intent of giving the meat away to those that like it but cannot hunt anymore for various reasons .
Cat
no matter how big the antlers are make sure you send it with the meat also
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlsfishtoo View Post
no matter how big the antlers are make sure you send it with the meat also
Not sure what you are getting at by just comment but if you are insinuating that I would keep a big set of antlers you are mistaken .
I have been knon to cut up 160 class antlers for knife handles and to make belt buckle with .
All I see when I look st s rack I'd knife handles brag buckles , screw friver handles etc .
I process my own meat do any I give is already Packaged .
Cat
Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 PM

This is a program I don't agree with. Many take it as an excuse to shoot more animals than they need or can use. We have enough tags now that are on draw , populations are down on almost everything.
If you want to help the needy , great, spend what a tank of fuel costs on groceries and donate that.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:26 AM

It's an awesome program. Allows more time hunting (and shooting) which is great. I have donated in the past and hope to do it again. I didn't the start dates on the OP, but it's usually October 25 - December 15
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM

I think it's a great idea. Fresh meat (or any meat for that matter) is expensive and is greatly appreciated for those in need/food banks.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

I've always believed in only taking what you need and leaving the rest. There are exceptions to that rule sometimes though. I am occasionally approached by landowners asking me to take out a doe or two when the population on their land gets too large. In situations where managing a deer herd for a landowner comes into play, I have no problem shooting two deer for the freezer and one to the food bank. To me it's a win-win situation.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 PM

I volunteer at the Calgary Food Bank, and although some meat is given out, it doesn't happen that often. Most individuals do not donate meat, so what they might get once in a while comes from the likes of the large grocery chain stores. And for the most part people would be asked whether they would like some Elk, Deer or Moose. A good percentage would say no because they don't have any idea how to prepare it, or would not even want to try it. But the ones that do, would cherish the chance at getting some. So I for one think it is a valuable program so hunters can donate to the needy. As long as the kill is legal go for it.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Good
Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
This is a program I don't agree with. Many take it as an excuse to shoot more animals than they need or can use. We have enough tags now that are on draw , populations are down on almost everything.
If you want to help the needy , great, spend what a tank of fuel costs on groceries and donate that.
Exactly. Why don't we all buy every supplemental whitetail tag we can and shoot every antler less moose we legally can. And we wonder why our ungulate populations are declining. The way I see it if you want wild meat get a rifle, a license and get out in the bush.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:56 PM

Default 2018?

This still happening in 2018?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:11 PM

If they need wild meat all they'd have to do is get them from the Outfitters where do you think all that meat goes you think the Americans take it home with them not. I've worked for outfits that donated 20 to 40 deer a year just think if they could organize it with all the Outfitters in Alberta ,and all the Americans coming into Alberta that don't take deer home with them there be more than enough already no need to be shooting extra Doe's 2 donate.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 35 whelen; 11-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
If they need wild meat all they'd have to do is get them from the Outfitters where do you think all that meat goes you think the Americans take it home with them not. I've worked for outfits that donated 20 to 40 deer a year just think if they could organize it with all the Outfitters in Alberta ,and all the Americans coming into Alberta that don't take deer home with them there be more than enough already no need to be shooting extra Doe's 2 donate.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Spruce
I agree, there is too many people who go hunting just to shoot something and then give it away or let it sit long enough in the freezer to get freezer burnt enough to justify throwing it in the garbage.

Aren't going to eat it, don't shoot it.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM

I think this sort of program creates the wrong incentives for hunting, similar to paid access. Meat from hunting is not sustainable for the whole population, and other groups that get that benefit are mainly hated here. Yes it's different than sharing butchered or processed meat with friends.

It has a charitable intent and the nature is self limiting so I don't see this undoing wildlife management in Alberta, but I think the core of hunting should be based on an individual's plan to make use of the animal. Better than wasting it still which probably happens more than any of us would like to know.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
I think this sort of program creates the wrong incentives for hunting, similar to paid access. Meat from hunting is not sustainable for the whole population, and other groups that get that benefit are mainly hated here. Yes it's different than sharing butchered or processed meat with friends.

It has a charitable intent and the nature is self limiting so I don't see this undoing wildlife management in Alberta, but I think the core of hunting should be based on an individual's plan to make use of the animal. Better than wasting it still which probably happens more than any of us would like to know.
Even if I only shoot one animal I still make sure a few certain elders get some of it, and it is not extra either, it is meat my family would otherwise eat.

I do not go out to shoot animals just to donate them, that is not why I hunt.
At the same time however I am not about to give away meat to someone I do not know.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-27-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Even if I only shoot one animal I make sure a few certain elders get some of it, and it is not extra either, it is meat my family would otherwise eat.

I do not go out to shoot animals just to donate them, that is not why I hunt.
At the same time however I am not about to give away meat to someone I do not know.
Cat
This is the kind of meat donation I get behind and do myself. The social aspects of food and sharing our bounty are important to ourselves as well as family and friends. It also has the potential to make a positive impression of hunting in a world of misunderstanding.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:

Spruce
Huh, I share when I get game so why not share a little more, or help a land owner thin out a troublesome heard and donate the meat, did this in Saskatchewan for many years living there and it was very beneficial. Never was given a bad name except "thank-you" and a hand shake....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...