Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 02:06 PM

Default Sheep hunting.

Hey guys my name is Steve. I am a avid hunter and have been hunting for a little over twenty years now. Mainly deer and elk I have had my share of greats successes with whitetail deer mule deer elk and black bear Iam saving my moose draw for a special area 10 year wait. And have mainly hunted the same general areas my whole life and in doing so have found many hidden pockets of game.
Well more to the question now is Iam now in pursuit of a Bighorn Sheep and have done my fair share of research and watch sheep hunting videos and know some how u could say tactics. But my main question is I have been doing some scouting/ hunting for the past few years,
nothing serious mainly because I don't have any real knowledge or experience and no partners I know have done any sheep hunting and let's just say people don't like to give much info on this subject. But my question is I have found a pocket of sheep in a weird area that I can tell is completely over looked by all the sheep hunters and is a few km from main range elevation is at about 6000 feet but it's a very rocky cliff edge for a few km and every time I walk in there I see sheep well ewes and lambs and I mean every single time in the past three years but I haven't even gone in this late in the season and this past weekend out scouting I saw a young ram not legal maybe a few years old with a group of 7 ewes a few lambs in this spot But I have never seen a legal ram in there yet but everytime I always see ewes and lambs my question is am I wasting my time in there will I ever see a legal ram in there or should I go more into the main range where there's tons of sheep hunters and camps are or should I concentrate on this pocket I found. I have seen legal Rams with groups or ewes and lambs this time of year in videos and stuff but knowing it's not the rut I don't really have a clue if the bigger Rams would come in there Iam not looking for a trophy just a legal ram is all Iam after. U can pm me info if u don't want to spread info. I just need some guidance and info am I on the right track here.
I have even been as high as 9000 ft and can't find sheep just old sign and hunters. So I hope Iam on going in the right direction here with this pocket I found and Iam more excited after seeing that young ram in there..
My heart sank when I seen he wasn't legal.
I am going for a 11 day hunt next week and mainly sheep hunting so a little help would be awesome. Thanks for your time everybody.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM

You might get lucky and see a legal ram with the ewes but usually not this time of the year. It's probably worth checking out again but I wouldn't waste all those days waiting for a legal ram. I would have some secondary locations picked ahead of time. U may think your spot has been overlooked but I will bet hunters have been there. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:45 PM

I helped my dad get his first ram this year he was a 7.5 or 8.5 year old ram with a 6 year old and a couple younger rams. There was also 15 ewes and lambs with them. Everything about there behaviour was different then what we have been told about old rams. You never know what could happen you just have to spend time out there and see
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM

It's worth checking out, as mentioned in the previous post, rams can be close to ewes - they obviously share the same food sources and grazing areas. It's too early for rams to be starting pre-rut behaviour, I think. The rut is still a ways away, the rams will be doing the normal routine. The weather is getting colder which may affect what ranges they start gravitating to etc. Good luck - and make sure you confirm your ram is legal, that's the next big step after finding rams.

Last edited by hwy_6363; 09-29-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: gramar

Tags
sheep hunting, sheep hunting info