Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Default I'm still stunned.

This has been an interesting season for me. From the month before draws open, through mid-August, I get really excited about hunting season.

Those of you who know me, know that I don't have a lot of spare time to actually get out (and my success rate shows it) but I savour every minute, scouting and hunting. Over the past few years, I've been taking my kids along, more and more, which has been really rewarding - first for IncrediGirl, so she can have a quiet day at home, catching up on her work, and less pestering from her offspring and hubby.

So this year, I put some pressure on my oldest son to do his hunting course. He had been saving up his pennies and was able to buy a new Diamond Infinite Edge bow, and we have been practicing together as often as we can. For his birthday, I signed him up for the course, and it was a great experience going through the material together. He took his time, studied hard, and passed with flying colors.

So now he's been on pins and needles, itching to go after the elusive grouse. No longer just an observer for the hunt, now he can be the participant!

Unfortunately, my health took a surprising hit at the end of the summer (still working on figuring out what's going on, and I'm not going to bore you with the details) so we haven't been able to head out as often as we originally hoped to.

Now, IncrediGirl, beautiful and saintly woman that she is, is very tolerant of my hunting "habit". She still isn't quite excited about wild game, but she is very supportive. This year, we took it up a notch, though - She is an incredible shot with a rifle, and loves the outdoors, so we asked her to join us on a foray into the bush this weekend. I have been feeling better, so a day trip into the woods was definitely doable. So we went out with the whole family. This way, she could see firsthand where we go, and how we hunt on our grouse outings. Also, she could see how I broke the skid plate on her truck last year...

We had an unbelievably fun time. We saw lots of birds (it's hard to sneak up on them when you have such a large group) and we took some time to set up in a safe place to do some shooting. My daughter proved that she is her mother's offspring by hitting the bulls eye consistently at fifty yards with a .22, freehand.

We walked trails, and really enjoyed spending our time together. IncrediGirl gained new appreciation for the laid-back style of outing we do.

At the end of the day, a bird flew overhead and landed in the bush near us. My oldest son nocked his flu-flu and went into the trees to stalk the bird. Me, being the eternal pessimist, followed with my .22 and didn't bother taking out my camera. Bad dad, I know... I just figured this would be another failed stalk, but a useful learning opportunity.

Sure enough, he spotted the bird, and while I hung back, he stepped forward to make a clear shot - I watched him draw, and shortly thereafter he released the arrow. I didn't see the bird go down, but I heard the unmistakable flapping of a downed ruffed grouse, and his massive grin as he turned to me and hoarsely whispered, "I got it!"

Me: "You WHAT?"

I couldn't believe it. And that's the thing, you always know that someday you will see your child take their first game, and when it happens, it can catch you right off guard. I was still in shock as he picked up the bird with the judo-tipped arrow sticking through the base of its neck.

After giving thanks, we walked back to the rest of the group. I was still shaking my head.

And you know what? I will never live this down. Because I have yet to take game with my bow. I just KNOW that I'm going to get razzed about that.

And that's okay. I'm a happy and proud father and husband.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Truly awesome.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 PM

That's awesome! Few more years for my mini man yet (be 2 in March) but he already loves the outdoors so should live hunting too.

I hope your health issues get sorted out soon so that you can spend more time with your family in the great outdoors.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 PM

Very awesome! best wishes for your health, happiness with the family is some of the best medicine, hope it helps!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM

Epic! Sounds like a perfect day!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Sounds awesome, it will be a while yet for me but I'm looking forward to having my kids join me in the field!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:34 PM

That's awesome, my son also finished the hunting course last year at 12, took him out hunting with me last yr, same as yourself, my son shot a deer before me, I got tag soup last yr...im still hearing it now, ill tell ya tho this yr im getting one before he does and making damn sure its bigger lol....So I get to bug him for a yr....

here he is.....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=270923
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM

That sounds like a perfect day.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Sounds like an awesome day, hope they figure your health out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM

Awesome day, and awesome therapy for what ails ya.

I hope you can turn it around and enjoy the rest of the season with your family!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Banned

Outstanding !!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Great story on your son's first hunting success! Hopefully your health takes a turn for the better and you can have many more memorable trips with the family this season. Got my first grouse with the kids this past weekend, great experience and one they won't soon forget.....
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 PM

Fantastic read, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Congrats! Great story.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:46 PM

Hats off to ya bud, nothing finer than that!!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:01 AM
Banned

Cool !!!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Smile

great story
Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Wondrous. Time spent with family is priceless.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-28-2016, 06:36 AM

Congrats....I enjoy my limited hunting opportunities with my daughter more than when I hunt myself....there is something about "passing the torch" that is hard to explain...you just have to do it to understand. All the best to you sir!!!!

Marco
Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Love it! great story and so good to hear of an outdoorsman who loves time with his family and speaks well of his wife. I hope your health improves and that you are back to full strength very soon.