Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Sylvan Lake Report

Thought I would start A Sylvan Report tread & intend to keep it going over the ice fishing season!

Zip-Z

Dec 15th - Beauty day, went for a ride & took the camera to see what the ice & snow conditions look like. The local paper says we got over 80 cm/31 in. since Nov. Started at the town site across from the old A&W, no parking lot, no skating rinks, no X-Mass tree just lots of snow and flood water & no one fishin here.

Went over to Norglenwold - Sylvan Drive, two trucks were parked on the side of the entrance and no one was brave enough to try the 12-14" ruts with flood water at the lake shore, if you don't have an ATV or sled, plan to hike out like these guy's.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Default Dec 15th Cont'd

Sun was shining, it was melting, decided to check out the other end of the lake. There were 3 vehicles on the ice, most people walked out, guys said there was between 5" to 12" of solid ice and some flood water in area's. I walked out, took my rod, camera, caught 2 whites, lost one in hole & one came home for Mrs.

I don't plan on driving out under these conditions, just not worth the risk for a fish. Cold front came in and I departed, hope you enjoyed the pic's.

Zip-Z

Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Congrats on that white. Those are some great pics. Hopefully it gets better as the season goes on.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:03 PM

It was an awesome day out there for sure! Thanks for the tips on the wire worms, As we pulled away my son said " oh shoot, i didn't even ask that nice man his name" haha.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 PM

I will be ( walking ) out off Norglenwold tomorrow and will report tomorrow evening unless I am otherwise busy treading water....
Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 PM

Experienced similar conditions on the South end of Gull near Aspen. My sentiments exactly, not worth the fish.