Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM

Default Newbie Question

Last year my son and I did the Alford lake hunter ed camp. While there we did some archery and liked it a lot. My son is 14, I dont want to buy a youth bow only to have him out grow it real quick. Could I get him an adult sized compound bow now but have the shop tune it down so he could pull it easy. We just want to shoot targets for now.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM

I personally have never shot it, but I believe the Mission Craze is quite versatile and adjustable.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM

There is quite a few different bows for beginners that's out there. There is PSE Bowtech Bear and Mathews. Try to get your kid to shoot them and see which one fits the best. Give swamp donkey outdoors a call he carries both the Bowtech and the bear. His number is 780-720-8357 he also has a range that your kid can try the bows.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Sooner, I was in the same situation 2 years ago with my (then) 12 yr old son.... He had outgrown his smaller bow, but not strong enough to pull an adult bow....

I went to the local pro shop and picked up one of these: Diamond Razor Edge

It has an adjustable draw length of 19" - 29". The draw wieght on it is between 30# and 60#. More than enough to last my son until he's 18 years old....

It also came as a package, ready to shoot (just needed arrows). All for about $350 (I think)

(Hell, I might even set it up for me as a backup bow)

J.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Here's a link to some of the highly adjustable bows from Hunter's Friend.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/halac-compound-bows.htm
Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks guys, good info. I just hate the idea of a youth bow for maybe two yrs and then having to sell it and do it all over again. Plus I want to shoot it too.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Thanks guys, good info. I just hate the idea of a youth bow for maybe two yrs and then having to sell it and do it all over again. Plus I want to shoot it too.
If you are going into this thinking that you and your son can both shoot the same bow, you are better off to get a recurve. A compound bow is person specific if adjusted properly. I have a diamond edge sitting here that my son used for a year and half then decided he wanted a recurve. if interested pm me and Ill tell you what is with it and how much
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM

When I say both use I mean he will be the primary user, I just want to shoot at a few targets every now and then. If he likes it enough to want to archery hunt one day then I will join him and get my own.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
When I say both use I mean he will be the primary user, I just want to shoot at a few targets every now and then. If he likes it enough to want to archery hunt one day then I will join him and get my own.
The problem is that unless you and your son are the same size, same reach, the bow won't fit you both. Chances of damaging it are very high if you are using it and it is not fit to you. First lesson of bows is that buddies break bows. It isn't intentional, but if they don't fit, then they won't have proper pull, release, sights etc. There are generally used options on the forum that you can pick up relatively cheap. Go get yourself measured so you know what size you should be looking for. For your son, the adjustable Jr. bows are a great option. Can always sell it when he outgrows it and recoup a major part of your cost if you purchased a used one.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Mission Craze! I ta'ked about this here http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=127100 . my son will be able to shoot this bow till he is a old man. it goes from 20 to 70 lbs. 308 fps.